OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Is Michigan football still alive? I honestly thought they closed up shop and turned the Big House into a shopping mall. Who knew.

Not quite. They did turn it into a C-19 vaccine clinic so the property still has some merit.

Today the question was posed on The Ticket: what does Harbaugh need to do this year to keep his job? A certain record? Beat Ohio State? (Ha!) I wonder how much Michigan fans are willing to tolerate.

As a Badger fan, if, say, Mike McCarthy had left the NFL to coach in Madison these results would not cut it. If you pay a guy higher than Urban Mayer, you better have a .500 record against OSU, a win or two in Indy, and a playoff appearance within 5 years....not be the 5th best team in the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Not quite. They did turn it into a C-19 vaccine clinic so the property still has some merit.

Today the question was posed on The Ticket: what does Harbaugh need to do this year to keep his job? A certain record? Beat Ohio State? (Ha!) I wonder how much Michigan fans are willing to tolerate.

As a Badger fan, if, say, Mike McCarthy had left the NFL to coach in Madison these results would not cut it. If you pay a guy higher than Urban Mayer, you better have a .500 record against OSU, a win or two in Indy, and a playoff appearance within 5 years....not be the 5th best team in the conference.

This UM alum is over the Harbaugh era. Has been for a while. Very painful. I was all in when he was brought on board. It didn’t work out. If his name weren’t Harbaugh, he’d have already been fired. I’m just over here waiting until it’s over.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why not us? No reason.

Other than the downgrade at quarterback.
And a total lack of wide receivers.
And already having significant injuries before the season even begins.
And your first round pick from last year still looking more like a turnstyle than a defensive back.
And opposing teams saying you have a total lack of good players.

But other than all that...no reason.

Reactions: Konnan511

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why not us? No reason.

Other than the downgrade at quarterback.
And a total lack of wide receivers.
And already having significant injuries before the season even begins.
And your first round pick from last year still looking more like a turnstyle than a defensive back.
And opposing teams saying you have a total lack of good players.

But other than all that...no reason.

Do you want him coming in saying "Aw man... we're just dogshit and I hate it here and I want the sweet release of death?"

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Sports betting is legal in Arizona on September 9 (barring junk lawsuits requesting an injunction). My first bet will be $25 moneyline on the Lions. Walk on the wild side with my first $25 legal wager.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do you want him coming in saying "Aw man... we're just dogshit and I hate it here and I want the sweet release of death?"

It just rings hollow when he says this on the first day of final cuts and his coach makes the comment to the media “there are players who aren’t currently on this team who will be part of the 53-man roster for week 1”

Goff is signaling to the fans that they should be hopeful; Campbell is unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) signaling to fans that the team is so bad that other teams’ shit players are better than some of our top 53.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It just rings hollow when he says this on the first day of final cuts and his coach makes the comment to the media “there are players who aren’t currently on this team who will be part of the 53-man roster for week 1”

Goff is signaling to the fans that they should be hopeful; Campbell is unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) signaling to fans that the team is so bad that other teams’ shit players are better than some of our top 53.

Again, what do you want the brand new leader QB coming into town to be like? I don't understand this. Please, give me a leader that looks at a hardscrabble batch of losers and is like "Yo, we gotta get to work, boys!"
I mean, this isn't him saying it after he just threw 8 picks or fumbled the game away. This is him at the end of the preseason when he played... fine in limited time.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Again, what do you want the brand new leader QB coming into town to be like? I don't understand this. Please, give me a leader that looks at a hardscrabble batch of losers and is like "Yo, we gotta get to work, boys!"
I mean, this isn't him saying it after he just threw 8 picks or fumbled the game away. This is him at the end of the preseason when he played... fine in limited time.

Can you even make an assessment of how he played in the preseason? New QB, entirely new skill players, new coach, new management, rookie RT, new OC, new system, new everything...and Goff played 2 series over a 3 game preseason, one of which was a 3 and out.

I think the second drive had something of substance, but not enough to be overly confident in.

My complaint is less at Goff and more at the organization for appearing from the outside from being so disjointed and disconnected. Coach basically says his roster is bad enough that players who aren't good enough for other NFL teams are good enough to play for the Lions. Meanwhile, during a installation of an entirely new system, the veteran players spend more time completing pregame warm ups than they do playing in all preseason games combined. The general manager outfitted the Lions with a saddest sack group of skill players, and ultimately has to cut one of them because he's just so damn bad and anyone with two eyes could see that from a mile away. The QB is doing what the QB is supposed to do. He's trying to schmooze his way around and play kiss ass to the fans to make sure there are asses in seats in two weekends to watch the Lions get absolutely curb stomped to oblivion by a real football team when it becomes painfully apparent that the Lions are woefully under prepared and vastly outclassed in terms of talent.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong and this team comes out looking like a brand new squad that makes things happen. Just feels like we could not be further from that point as of today.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Can you even make an assessment of how he played in the preseason? New QB, entirely new skill players, new coach, new management, rookie RT, new OC, new system, new everything...and Goff played 2 series over a 3 game preseason, one of which was a 3 and out.

I think the second drive had something of substance, but not enough to be overly confident in.

My complaint is less at Goff and more at the organization for appearing from the outside from being so disjointed and disconnected. Coach basically says his roster is bad enough that players who aren't good enough for other NFL teams are good enough to play for the Lions. Meanwhile, during a installation of an entirely new system, the veteran players spend more time completing pregame warm ups than they do playing in all preseason games combined. The general manager outfitted the Lions with a saddest sack group of skill players, and ultimately has to cut one of them because he's just so damn bad and anyone with two eyes could see that from a mile away. The QB is doing what the QB is supposed to do. He's trying to schmooze his way around and play kiss ass to the fans to make sure there are asses in seats in two weekends to watch the Lions get absolutely curb stomped to oblivion by a real football team when it becomes painfully apparent that the Lions are woefully under prepared and vastly outclassed in terms of talent.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong and this team comes out looking like a brand new squad that makes things happen. Just feels like we could not be further from that point as of today.

We'll see when week 1 happens. Preseason is preseason is preseason. I get being hurt by the Lions a lot of times before... but you can't just dunk on the franchise before they even do anything. It's clear that Dan Campbell is a meathead who won't be a super politician like other coaches. I'd rather have blunt honesty from my coaches and puffery from the players though.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I think the answer of "we know what everyone else is expecting us to suck, but hey, maybe we surprise some people" is code for "I know we suck but I can't say that".

This team is terrible, but Goff said the right thing here.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I love this quote from Hinch:
The Detroit Tigers are ready to start winning again, and they plan on doing so as early as next year.

"We're going to re-establish ourselves as a winning franchise and develop a winning culture," manager A.J. Hinch said when asked about the team's potential pursuit of free agents this winter, according to Even Petzold of the Detroit Free Press. "If you want to be a part of it, then you'll come. If you don't, then we'll beat you."
Hopefully Chris opens the checkbook this winter. It would be awesome to see Verlander come back but I don't know if it makes a ton of sense for either side.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Hopefully Chris opens the checkbook this winter. It would be awesome to see Verlander come back but I don't know if it makes a ton of sense for either side.

I thought JV coming back was a matter of when though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I've sorta been expecting Verlander to be back and I'm not sure the cost is going to be high. I mean, isn't Verlander going to be 40 and coming back from tommy john surgery? There are going to be a lot of teams willing to take a look at him, but I'd be surprised if the price tag was too big. I'm more curious if we sign a certain free agent short stop this winter.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No. But it's a pointless exercise to get the comments to begin with. Every team in the league says, "why not us?" every year, even though a handful of teams have zero chance from the get-go.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Currently at the tigers game, gorgeous weather for baseball, but Matt Manning had a rough 1st ~30 pitches, 2 HR, 4 runs.

Dude, this is the best time of year to augment your farmer's tan at a ballgame. It wasn't the result we wanted, but at least you got to see a entertaining game. I like that this team battles to the last out. All credit to Hinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad