OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I felt disconnected to the Lions because I can't name all their players any more. After reading a draft preview and analysis of needs, I realize it's much more because this team is absolutely garbage and devoid of talent. It's actually kind of impressive.

Really happy with the Sewell pick. I'm curious if there are any articles or anything saying what he did with his year off. Did he just sit around? Did he hire personal coaches to work on strength/technique or anything?

Reactions: Konnan511

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Really happy with the Sewell pick. I'm curious if there are any articles or anything saying what he did with his year off. Did he just sit around? Did he hire personal coaches to work on strength/technique or anything?
Here's when he first opted out:
Oregon's Penei Sewell opts out of college season, intends to enter 2021 NFL Draft

And it's behind a pay wall, but here's him talking about how he used the time:
Penei Sewell talks NFL Draft preparation, decision to opt out at Oregon

EDIT: Here's another one (free) on his routine during 2020:
2021 NFL Draft: Opt-outs Penei Sewell, Micah Parsons kept first round in focus

And a video with Ja'Marr Chase and Penei Sewell each discussing their gap year:
Gap Year: Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell discuss decision to opt out of '20 CFB season

Last edited:
Reactions: izlez

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I felt disconnected to the Lions because I can't name all their players any more. After reading a draft preview and analysis of needs, I realize it's much more because this team is absolutely garbage and devoid of talent. It's actually kind of impressive.

I mean he showed up to his pro day and put up freakish level athleticism numbers for a 6'4-6'5 330+ pound offensive lineman. Under Dan Campbell (coming from New Orleans with possibly the best RB screen offense with Kamara) and in Anthony Lynn's offense which featured a lot of swing passes and screens to Austin Ekeler and Melvin Gordon, having Sewell's athleticism on the outside and Swift's dynamic ability receiving the ball, we have a lot to look forward to I think.

He certainly wasn't being lazy and has improved a lot. I think he's always needed technical work, but I know the Lions OL coach is pretty highly regarded with his technical teaching ability.

Reactions: BSHH

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Wow, you sound like a guy riding that honeymoon bliss. I hope it works out like you're envisioning in your post draft rapture, but being a Detroit sports fan for almost 40 years, something tells me it won't.
Love the positive vibes. It would be great to see Detroit back near the top again.

Things have sucked for awhile with Detroit sports. But I've also seen a lot of success compared to other cities.

So I still feel that I can't complain.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sewell to start out at right tackle (with some good quotes from the kid):

First-round pick Penei Sewell will move to right tackle, Detroit Lions confirm

“Where ever they put me, I’m going to play, and I’m going to give it my all, 100%,” Sewell said during a video call minutes after the pick. “To join an (offensive line group) like this, man, it’s a blessing. To be a young dude and to come into such a veteran group with so many years, it’s just easier for me to approach the game, because I can go to them and ask them for advice and soak up as much knowledge as possible. So, being a sponge around those guys will help out tremendously."

“I’m ready to run through anybody, and come in each and every day putting on the pads, gettin’ under somebody’s chin and make them feel uncomfortable.”

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was praying the Vikings would trade up for Penei, that's a great pick by Detroit.

Bummed to see Fields go to another team in the division, I think he will be great. Congrats @Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Was praying the Vikings would trade up for Penei, that's a great pick by Detroit.

Bummed to see Fields go to another team in the division, I think he will be great. Congrats @Winger98

I'm hoping to have many thanksgivings at the UM loving in-laws where the former OSU quarterback is throwing many touchdowns and winning holiday games. :naughty:

Reactions: Bench and Frk It

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Before yesterday, I did not even think that Sewell could be available at #7. But I may have overrated his prospect luster slightly. Anyway, I am happy with this pick and now the Lions should manage to get a nice prospect to fill their needs at either WR, S or LB at #41.

From an outsider looking in Germany is a fantastic place for soccer. Be it Bundesliga or 2. Bundesliga everyone I know that has visited for a game has loved it. Being there and experiencing year-after-year may not hold the same appeal. I assume Bayern dominance and HSV hitting a bad patch adds to some of the boredom.

Glad NFL is catching on in Germany. NHL too. There was a chart floating around about NFL jersey sales and Stafford was the top seller in, I think, Belgium. Quite a few Lions fans on Reddit from the UK.
Watching soccer in a stadium here in Germany is still pretty nice, indeed. You usually have a good attendance and - unlike in the EPL - standing sections (which I find really important).

But you described the general situation about soccer very accurately: HSV is such a joke that even my friends and I can only laugh about it. Bayern is miles ahead and the German national team too bland to even disappoint.

Slam dunk pick by the Lions, an amazing offensive line can make an average NFL QB look good. Swift should be pumped as well, hoping for a big sophomore year from him. It has been a long time coming but the Wings, Pistons, and Lions all have elite management (still early for the Lions, but I love the Stafford trade and this pick).

As for the Tigers I am still being patient with Avila, his cupboard was not only bare he didn’t even have a kitchen to put the cupboards. Future is looking so much better for Detroit sports, I am optimistic.
That's saying something about the Tigers! I find this year with all the initial regression of every younger player except for Baddoo harshly disappointing.

Gruß,
BSHH

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I know it'll be all about the NFL draft in this thread for the next little bit but man... Hype video!!!

Give the Pistons a watch sometime before the season's over. It should be a loss but it'll be an entertaining loss. Hopefully you catch Beef Stew on a 15-10 night.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hmm. Another DT in the 3rd round. Here's the bio:

Alim McNeill, IDL, NC State

There's a lot of off season to go. But I'm starting to wonder where the linebacker and receiver help will be coming from. I know they need guys everywhere, but LB and WR are arguably the biggest holes of all.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

There's a lot of off season to go. But I'm starting to wonder where the linebacker and receiver help will be coming from. I know they need guys everywhere, but LB and WR are arguably the biggest holes of all.

Long term need for WR, but this team is gearing up to be smash mouth in nature. LBs run free if the D line can free them.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Long term need for WR, but this team is gearing up to be smash mouth in nature. LBs run free if the D line can free them.
Understood, and that's fine. But in this pass-happy era, a sideline to sideline linebacker is becoming a bigger and bigger weapon to have, and that type of player isn't still around on Day 3.

It's a marathon, so we'll see what's on the field in another 2-3 years. But in a draft class that I had thought was good for outside linebackers, I was hoping to see one in their first few picks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They are also arguably the easiest positions to fix at the NFL level by fixing your line play. I think linebackers also need more secondary help so that was an interesting part. But the Rams were built through line play. I like the way they are drafting. I kept saying if they are serious about this they are going to draft a bunch of fat guys and start playing tougher. That is exactly what they have done. To turn around 60 year of futility, you are going to kind of want a brawler mindset, that seems to be indeed the identity the new regime is shooting for. Even the corner pick is a massive unicorn corner kind of an athlete. Interesting development thus far...

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
For an unknowledgeable guy like me, who has to rely on prospect rankings and evaluations, the second Draft day was not so good. ESPN's Kiper mentioned the Lions as making the most questionable picks. But I guess Sewell is good enough to win games on his own.

Gruß,
BSHH

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They are also arguably the easiest positions to fix at the NFL level by fixing your line play. I think linebackers also need more secondary help so that was an interesting part. But the Rams were built through line play. I like the way they are drafting. I kept saying if they are serious about this they are going to draft a bunch of fat guys and start playing tougher. That is exactly what they have done. To turn around 60 year of futility, you are going to kind of want a brawler mindset, that seems to be indeed the identity the new regime is shooting for. Even the corner pick is a massive unicorn corner kind of an athlete. Interesting development thus far...
I'm not upset about who they've picked. I just don't see the DTs they got as being as good in the passing game as they are against the run.

It's a combination: between the completely inappropriate types of linebackers that Quinn put on the roster, and that offenses are more high tempo than ever, they eventually HAVE to add at least 1-2 guys who can cover in space on short yardage plays.

Ultimately, their board is just different than mine. And that's ok. But I see Jabril Cox (and to a lesser extent, Dylan Moses) still sitting there after 3 rounds and want them to add a skill set like that ASAP.

As for WR, I think it's arguably the least important position group of all. But I don't know that Detroit has a single NFL starter on their roster. We'll see if any of them can get enough separation to actually give Goff somebody to throw to. (Haha, unless the goal is to go 0-16 for a QB next year. Then feel free to punt on adding any help.)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Both D-line men are ranked in the top 5 for their position by multiple outlets. Levi is ranked #2 in a lot of rankings.

The CB pick I can see being questionable. He’s ranked #9 for his position in a lot of rankings as well.

I don’t have problems with the picks. Holmes is trying to build the lines which is the most important thing behind a QB imo.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad