OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Probably time but man this stings. I'm cautiously optimistic for the Holmes/Campbell era, but QBs as good as Stafford don't come around everyday. This turnaround could be painful.

Not sure any four-sport city has worse teams than Detroit at the moment. All four teams rebuilding, and frankly none look that close to turning the corner yet.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Come on Chicago, pony up...
Or San Francisco. Or Denver. Or Dallas. Or Indianapolis...

Bring on the draft capital!!! If Detroit somehow manages to unload Stafford while coming away with either Fields or Wilson, PLUS another first rounder for the defense, I might actually become a Lions fan.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
We were told this was a "retool not a rebuild". There better be a deal for Watson in the works. This is a momentum killer. At least get Jimmy G and a few picks from the Niners.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Probably time but man this stings. I'm cautiously optimistic for the Holmes/Campbell era, but QBs as good as Stafford don't come around everyday. This turnaround could be painful.

Not sure any four-sport city has worse teams than Detroit at the moment. All four teams rebuilding, and frankly none look that close to turning the corner yet.

Yeah Detroit had their run before Boston as the best sports town in the USA, really paying the dues now though lol.

But ya, hopefully he gets a haul lots of teams needing QBs this off season and a really good year for draft eligible QBs so this makes a lot of sense. Theyre going to get another first rounder plus something

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
We were told this was a "retool not a rebuild". There better be a deal for Watson in the works. This is a momentum killer. At least get Jimmy G and a few picks from the Niners.

but it is a rebuild. We’ve heard it floated out here that Stafford would have no interest in being around for a rebuild. The questions about rebuilding were ducked by everyone involved. Saying you don’t like to use the term rebuild doesn’t mean that you won’t pursue a rebuild.

5 years for Holmes, 6 years for Campbell told me all I needed to know where we were headed. They were given a substantial runway to implement their vision.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Or San Francisco. Or Denver. Or Dallas. Or Indianapolis...

Bring on the draft capital!!! If Detroit somehow manages to unload Stafford while coming away with either Fields or Wilson, PLUS another first rounder for the defense, I might actually become a Lions fan.

Or Chicago. :madfire:

You're losing sight of the objective here, to make Chicago better.

Reactions: Konnan511

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Or Chicago. :madfire:

You're losing sight of the objective here, to make Chicago better.

They won't go in the division.

But keep your eyes peeled for news on Watson. That's the guy you should want anyway. The question is if the Bears are ready to give up another Mack-level haul.

But Watson allegedly wants to go to the Jets or Dolphins. Assuming that works out, there will be decent reclamation projects shaking loose. Tua and Darnold still have a lot of potential in the right situation.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They won't go in the division.

But keep your eyes peeled for news on Watson. That's the guy you should want anyway. The question is if the Bears are ready to give up another Mack-level haul.

But Watson allegedly wants to go to the Jets or Dolphins. Assuming that works out, there will be decent reclamation projects shaking loose. Tua and Darnold still have a lot of potential in the right situation.

we're talking about Chicago... .

I doubt they are going to be up to paying out for anyone and I'm betting they just go another year with Trubiskey. When he falls flat, they'll have another poor season, and then clean house.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
we're talking about Chicago... .

I doubt they are going to be up to paying out for anyone and I'm betting they just go another year with Trubiskey. When he falls flat, they'll have another poor season, and then clean house.

You're more down on Chicago than I am. I suppose that comes with the territory of being a fan. We tend to be more critical when we're invested.

Chicago can still be tweaked and building a winning team, is my belief. We haven't seen them with consistently competent QB play in ages. Start there and see where you're at.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You're more down on Chicago than I am. I suppose that comes with the territory of being a fan. We tend to be more critical when we're invested.

Chicago can still be tweaked and building a winning team, is my belief. We haven't seen them with consistently competent QB play in ages. Start there and see where you're at.
Ryan Pace won't be the man to make those tweaks correctly.

No one is down more on Bears football right now than Bears fans.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ryan Pace won't be the man to make those tweaks correctly.

No one is down more on Bears football right now than Bears fans.

Yeah maybe.

But they have never had a QB. Literally the one thing you're required to have. I'd just like to see their roster with one before I throw the baby out with the bathwater, ya know?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah maybe.

But they have never had a QB. Literally the one thing you're required to have. I'd just like to see their roster with one before I throw the baby out with the bathwater, ya know?
They were talking on the radio about all the QBs they've refrained from drafting. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Watson, Mahomes, Marino, Montana, etc. all on the board when they made picks, there's actually a few more as well, and obviously a lot of teams passed on a lot of these guys.
Another thing, since Ryan Pace was hired the Packers have drafted 2 QBs (Hundley and Love) and the Bears have drafted 1(Trubisky).

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016

It is a dark time for Detroit sports, that is for sure. But on the flip side think about what we will be watching in 5 years. Has potential to be amazing...

Red Wings : Yzerman is a brilliant hockey mind, he will get Detroit to where we want them to go.

Pistons : I didn’t know much about Weaver, but looking at how awesome Jerami Grant is playing gives me high hopes. That signing was universally criticized but looks like an A+ right now, I think the Pistons are in good hands.

Tigers : I like Avila more than most, have to consider how pathetic the farm system was when he took over. Another thing that didn’t help is the trade market took a nosedive when the Tigers decided to sell, certainly didn’t help. He has drafted well, should start spending soon. In fact I wish they would go sign Realmuto right now, he is an amazing catcher at the biggest position of need.

Lions : Hopeful for this new regime, they are definitely not starting from scratch like the Tigers. I think Hockenson, Ragnow, Decker, Golladay, and Swift are all very good to excellent on offense, the defense is going to take some work. Zach Wilson looks like a superstar, would be ecstatic if they end up drafting him.

It is pretty rough right now, but there is potential that every team could be competitive/contender in the near future.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The signings of Holmes and Campbell make more sense now. I am hopeful for both but it was odd that both GM and HC roles went to dark horse candidates. The reports of Saleh's interview "not going well" must have been about the direction of the team and rebuilding. Undertaking a rebuild for a historically rubbish franchise over the last 60 years over better options elsewhere is not plum choice for the cream of the coaching candidate crop.

Stafford's departure is happening at a crucial time. Lions will not be negotiating from the position of strength and will be left taking the best of truncated offers. Quinn and Patricia should have been fired & Stafford traded last off season. This should have been the tank year with Lawrence as the prize.

Lions gonna Lions. The new blood needs to make the best of this. I did enjoy a Reddit theory that this will end the Bobby Layne curse. The first favorite son of Highland Park High went against his will and the second favorite son of Highland Park High asked to leave. Full circle. Doak Walker also went to Highland Park High. Might as well change the name to Detroit Lions High.

A brief note on Lions fandom: there is a documentary about our suffering on Prime, The Heart of a Lions Fan. It runs just over 60 minutes and well worth an hour of your time. It contains a line that sums up our psyche: "Do I believe the Lions are cursed? Probably not but I also believe the Lions are cursed."

Last edited:
Reactions: BSHH

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Stafford's departure is happening at a crucial time. Lions will not be negotiating from the position of strength and will be left taking the best of truncated offers. Quinn and Patricia should have been fired & Stafford traded last off season. This should have been the tank year with Lawrence as the prize.

You realize to guarantee that you would have had to go 0-16 this year.

Although that's clearly not an impossible feat for the Lions.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
You realize to guarantee that you would have had to go 0-16 this year.

Although that's clearly not an impossible feat for the Lions.
1-15 could have done the trick pending "tie breakers". Lions without Stafford would have been a tank game changer. Jags won a game out of the gate. Their motivation may have been different knowing Lions were on Easy Street to 0-16 or 1-15 before the season started. Take Stafford off the Lions at it is a worse team than '08.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The reports of Saleh's interview "not going well" must have been about the direction of the team and rebuilding. Undertaking a rebuild for a historically rubbish franchise over the last 60 years over better options elsewhere is not plum choice for the cream of the coaching candidate crop.
Except that the Jets are every bit as much of a disaster that the Lions are.

I have no idea if Holmes and Campbell will work out, or why Saleh wasn't the hire. But if he passed on Detroit due to franchise history (when he grew up here) and then signed with the Jets, either he's unaware of how awful they've been for a long time, or his true motivation has nothing to do with how badly a team needs to rebuild.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Except that the Jets are every bit as much of a disaster that the Lions are.

I have no idea if Holmes and Campbell will work out, or why Saleh wasn't the hire. But if he passed on Detroit due to franchise history (when he grew up here) and then signed with the Jets, either he's unaware of how awful they've been for a long time, or his true motivation has nothing to do with how badly a team needs to rebuild.
Yet they have won a Super Bowl and appeared 4 other AFC Championship games including back-to-back in '09 & '10. Jets track record was trending in the right direction more recently than Detroit. You would be hard pressed to find any HC candidate that would choose the Lions over the Jets.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It is a dark time for Detroit sports, that is for sure. But on the flip side think about what we will be watching in 5 years. Has potential to be amazing...

Red Wings : Yzerman is a brilliant hockey mind, he will get Detroit to where we want them to go.

Pistons : I didn’t know much about Weaver, but looking at how awesome Jerami Grant is playing gives me high hopes. That signing was universally criticized but looks like an A+ right now, I think the Pistons are in good hands.

Tigers : I like Avila more than most, have to consider how pathetic the farm system was when he took over. Another thing that didn’t help is the trade market took a nosedive when the Tigers decided to sell, certainly didn’t help. He has drafted well, should start spending soon. In fact I wish they would go sign Realmuto right now, he is an amazing catcher at the biggest position of need.

Lions : Hopeful for this new regime, they are definitely not starting from scratch like the Tigers. I think Hockenson, Ragnow, Decker, Golladay, and Swift are all very good to excellent on offense, the defense is going to take some work. Zach Wilson looks like a superstar, would be ecstatic if they end up drafting him.

It is pretty rough right now, but there is potential that every team could be competitive/contender in the near future.

Late 90s, early 2000s Detroit was the best sports city in North America. The wings and tigers kinda extended that streak for a long time where they were probably only behind Boston. Defnitely paying for it now but youre right, even if these teams arent necessarily championship calibre, there is going to be a lot of talent in Detroit to watch in 5 years.

No idea what to expect for the lions but with Watson saying he wants to go to the jets, the likelihood of Detroit getting a stud QB in the draft this year went up a bit for sure. Torkelson should be one of the best bats in baseball and I have full faith in Yzerman to build a contender. Gonna be a tough 2 years or so, but after that the light at the end of the tunnel should be pretty big

That's a good bet. They have a playoff roster and need a QB today more than they need draft picks.

I think with Stafford added, Indy gets put on the short list of superbowl contenders. Like, KC would probably be the only team I would put ahead of them actually

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Outside of Lawrence is there a QB in this draft class considered to be NFL ready or are they all projects? I am weary of Fields with the poor track record of Toilet U QB's but Herbert cast aside assumptions about Oregon QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad