Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I think Quinn and Patricia are gone by the bye week but having Koudah as a building block for whoeber takes over is the least of the lions worries
This team needs a football man in the worst way. Bring in Ozzie Newsome. Hall of Fame player and has two rings as GM. He is 64 and may not be interested but he could be a great steward. Spend a few years building the foundation and handing the keys over to a selected successor of his choice.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This team needs a football man in the worst way. Bring in Ozzie Newsome. Hall of Fame player and has two rings as GM. He is 64 and may not be interested but he could be a great steward. Spend a few years building the foundation and handing the keys over to a selected successor of his choice.

Ozzie is the genius that built the Ravens and was the mastermind behind snagging Lamar Jackson.

Yeah, you could definitely do worse.

But he's still working closely with the Ravens. It sounds like he just wanted to cut down his workload, not that he was moving on from Baltimore.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Ozzie is the genius that built the Ravens and was the mastermind behind snagging Lamar Jackson.

Yeah, you could definitely do worse.

But he's still working closely with the Ravens. It sounds like he just wanted to cut down his workload, not that he was moving on from Baltimore.
Not just Lamar. He has a knack for drafting defensive players. Three of his draftees are in the HoF and he also had Terrell Suggs. Not to shabby.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I actually don't agree with Okudah at 3 to begin with. I think he was a pick that theoretically made sense, considering Patricia ran out the two best secondary players on the team in the same year. But I wanted Simmons at 3 all along, and you can make the same complaints about him looking lost early on.

He was out on the field, and was more or less a ghost in pass coverage. Yes, playing against Rodgers presents unique challenges, but you'd hope that Okudah was even in the ballpark on some of those plays. That's what is concerning to me, he was not on the same planet for some of these routes.

Like I said, he wasnt in the ball park on some plays but... hes playing in his first game, after missing time hurt, after no OTAs, after no preseason, against Aaron Rodgers and with no pass rush.

Theres lots to complain about with the Lions. The team actually has players where they could be competitive but the the team is poorly coached its hilarious. Complaining about Okudah right now is not going to get anyone taken very seriously, its reactionary and pretty ridiculous. Sure, they could've taken Simmons and he would probably be fine as well. But lets not pretend hes shown up in the league and is setting it on fire either.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not just Lamar. He has a knack for drafting defensive players. Three of his draftees are in the HoF and he also had Terrell Suggs. Not to shabby.

No doubt. Ozzie is one of the great football minds.

I'd recommend the Lions poach the Green Bay brain trust, but the Seahawks, Raiders, and Browns picked it dry. The most recent was Eliot Wolf, who many expected to get the Packers GM job but was passed over. He then moved to the Browns under Dorsey (former Packers guy), but with Dorsey moved out, he was poached by the Patriots. Yup... Belichick brought him in.

Honestly if I'm the Lions, I make a move for Eliot Wolf. He's a guy on the rise and clearly qualified. Hated to see him leave Green Bay. You'd have so much stability with someone like that running things. He comes from the same management line of the current Packers GM and the Seahawks GM Schneider.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I'd recommend the Lions poach the Green Bay brain trust, but the Seahawks, Raiders, and Browns picked it dry. The most recent was Eliot Wolf, who many expected to get the Packers GM job but was passed over. He then moved to the Browns under Dorsey (former Packers guy), but with Dorsey moved out, he was poached by the Patriots. Yup... Belichick brought him in.

Honestly if I'm the Lions, I make a move for Eliot Wolf. He's a guy on the rise and clearly qualified. Hated to see him leave Green Bay. You'd have so much stability with someone like that running things. He comes from the same management line of the current Packers GM and the Seahawks GM Schneider.

I would be looking pretty hard at Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Seattle. Theyre always competitive even when they end up retooling quickly on the fly and have superbowls to their name. Not sure on names specifically, but theres obviously smart football minds in those organzations that could work

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
I was excited to get a look at Okudah... But by the second quarter I remembered that our defensive scheme as a whole is garbage. No QB pressure to relieve our young secondary. Not much Okudah can do, he's not going to be Revis Island his first pro game.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Didn't the Lions try to interview Wolf? Wolf is younger than me but a fellow member of the Class of 2000. Depressing.

As much as I hate the Packers they are a model NFL franchise. They captured lightening in a bottle with Favre but they know how to run an organization. Success after success despite being in a market that many players don't want to play in. Green Bay does not have a lot a free agent success but it does not matter because they still get the right players. Not a bad place to look. Lions struggle and when they get a known free agent it is someone past his prime or cannot replicate the success they had elsewhere.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Didn't the Lions try to interview Wolf? Wolf is younger than me but a fellow member of the Class of 2000. Depressing.

As much as I hate the Packers they are a model NFL franchise. They captured lightening in a bottle with Favre but they know how to run an organization. Success after success despite being in a market that many players don't want to play in. Green Bay does not have a lot a free agent success but it does not matter because they still get the right players. Not a bad place to look. Lions struggle and when they get a known free agent it is someone past his prime or cannot replicate the success they had elsewhere.

Pulled up this article from about 4 years back and it looks like you are indeed correct.

Report: Packers' Eliot Wolf was Lions' first choice for GM

In fact, it says he was their first choice. Geez, what could have been for the Lions.

But they can fix their mistake and try to get him back now...

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I am calling Sheila now. Wait, it's the Lions. I am faxing Sheila now.

Hey man, someone has to get the ball rolling.

It's painful for me to see the Lions struggle so bad while I have to deal with smarmy Vikings fans. Far prefer the Lions rise than those other franchises in the North.

Lions fans are honestly the most chill. The Vikes fans here are just kinda nasty. Like, I seriously think some of them would physically hurt Packers fans if they could get away with it. It's so weird the venom that gets tossed around.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

It's painful for me to see the Lions struggle so bad while I have to deal with smarmy Vikings fans. Far prefer the Lions rise than those other franchises in the North.

Lions fans are honestly the most chill. The Vikes fans here are just kinda nasty. Like, I seriously think some of them would physically hurt Packers fans if they could get away with it. It's so weird the venom that gets tossed around.
Where is "here"? Are you in Viking territory Wisconsin? My only experience with Vikings fans is here in Phoenix. Docile fan base out here. Bears fans are still obnoxious. I was happy when a Bears group ditched the bar I watched games. Hate the Packers but no quarrel with their fans. I have been up to Lambeau for 2 Lions games. Fans were really nice. Last year they refrained from trash talk after the game. Fans were actually apologizing for the refs handing the game to the Packers. Nice bunch. Great place to catch a game. It was my intention to be there yesterday but COVID had other plans.

Speaking of Lions and Packers and since you post in the books thread, have you ready any George Plimpton? He has books about the Packers and Lions (One More July & Paper Lion). One chronicles Packers camp with Mike Curry and the other Plimpton is, himself, partaking in camp as a last string QB with the Lions.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where is "here"? Are you in Viking territory Wisconsin? My only experience with Vikings fans is here in Phoenix. Docile fan base out here. Bears fans are still obnoxious. I was happy when a Bears group ditched the bar I watched games. Hate the Packers but no quarrel with their fans. I have been up to Lambeau for 2 Lions games. Fans were really nice. Last year they refrained from trash talk after the game. Fans were actually apologizing for the refs handing the game to the Packers. Nice bunch. Great place to catch a game. It was my intention to be there yesterday but COVID had other plans.

Speaking of Lions and Packers and since you post in the books thread, have you ready any George Plimpton? He has books about the Packers and Lions (One More July & Paper Lion). One chronicles Packers camp with Mike Curry and the other Plimpton is, himself, partaking in camp as a last string QB with the Lions.

Yeah, I'm in Minneapolis proper. There's many Packers transplants, so the rivalry is pretty nasty. But only a handful of bad folks. But it's that vibe I haven't seen at a sports event other than when I saw a Penguins fan get punched down a flight of stairs at a Rangers game. I guess you can't talk shit in New York.

I haven't read any of those you referenced so I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the heads up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I hate all the other franchises in this God forsaken division. I don't want nice things for Minny, Chicago or Green Bay at all.

Another embarrassing display by the Lions at their house of horrors. I freaking hate this team, not good when your 5 minutes into the third quarter and you're thinking man I could have been watching golf instead of this... Yup feel like a muppet on the balcony the seconds the Lions start playing, just a grumpy old man. They aren't meant to be good @Bench, I am certain of that this deep into life.:laugh:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
So... When does Patricia get let go? Only possible way he saves his job for an entire year has to be success. Quinn and Ford discussed how we should be competing this year, 0 and 3?.. 0 and 4?

Not saying a new coach will instantly bring in a new result, but with a 16 game season time is running out to accomplish the goal of making a wild card spot already with our tough schedule and 2 division loses.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
So... When does Patricia get let go? Only possible way he saves his job for an entire year has to be success. Quinn and Ford discussed how we should be competing this year, 0 and 3?.. 0 and 4?

Not saying a new coach will instantly bring in a new result, but with a 16 game season time is running out to accomplish the goal of making a wild card spot already with our tough schedule and 2 division loses.
Firing Patricia is a non-starter. Quinn needs to go. Quinn is the problem. Firing Patricia could indicate that Quinn is getting a second crack at finding a coach. I would prefer to let this season burn. Fire them both after the conclusion of Week 17. Let a new GM rebuild around Trevor Lawrence.

It will take a miracle to right this ship. As it stands now the Lions will win 4 games at a maximum.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Firing Patricia is a non-starter. Quinn needs to go. Quinn is the problem. Firing Patricia could indicate that Quinn is getting a second crack at finding a coach. I would prefer to let this season burn. Fire them both after the conclusion of Week 17. Let a new GM rebuild around Trevor Lawrence.

It will take a miracle to right this ship. As it stands now the Lions will win 4 games at a maximum.

A very valid point. I don't watch enough college football as a Canadian to know alot about prospects coming up but who is a Lawrence comparable?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
A very valid point. I don't watch enough college football as a Canadian to know alot about prospects coming up but who is a Lawrence comparable?
Lawrence projects to be a generational talent. His ceiling is HOF caliber. He was the successor to Deshaun Watson at Clemson. Lawrence broke the passing records for Georgia high school football that were previously set by Watson. Kid is 6'6 and is the favorite to win the Heisman. Not sure he has a NFL comparable. Taller than Manning and with superior athleticism and mobility.

If the Lions have the first pick there is no way they pass on Lawrence. If they did it would be insane but the return to trade down would be a treasure trove.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Lawrence is the mostly highly touted QB to come out in a long time. Unlikely hell have as good of a year as Burrow just did, but Burrow was a 5th rounder going into the season and had the best QB season ever in college. Lawrence has been touted as an NFL prodigy since high school. I would say his hype is probably as high or higher than any QB

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
As for ball hockey being sacrilegious... I'm not religious.
Ball hockey is a blast. It's cheaper. It's better exercise.

Not even Eddy Bernays or Ivy Lee could find a doctor to back that sort of 'study'. The word 'better' certainly is relative to one's skill, fitness regime, and diet. Unless you're playing ball hockey underwater, I really don't see too many situations where your claim has any substance, sooooo... yea.

4fzctx.jpg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

To be fair, there is nothing to say you can't cut them both loose during the bye week after an 0-4 start. Just because you fire a coach doesn't mean the GM has to be safe and get another chance.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lawrence is the mostly highly touted QB to come out in a long time. Unlikely hell have as good of a year as Burrow just did, but Burrow was a 5th rounder going into the season and had the best QB season ever in college. Lawrence has been touted as an NFL prodigy since high school. I would say his hype is probably as high or higher than any QB

Man, people don't give Andrew Luck enough credit coming out of college. I would not have Lawrence clearly over Luck at this point, but wouldn't flinch if someone did lean in Lawrence's favor. If you wanted to peg exactly what Lawrence is expected to be, just look to what Luck was supposed to mean to the Colts. You can only hope that Lawrence can stay healthy enough that it doesn't take away the joy of football like it did for Luck. It's a scary proposition for a QB sitting in a position to go to some of these basement dweller teams that struggle in halfway decent pass protection.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
To be fair, there is nothing to say you can't cut them both loose during the bye week after an 0-4 start. Just because you fire a coach doesn't mean the GM has to be safe and get another chance.
Of course not but firing Patricia during the season but not Quinn is an indicator Quinn is staying around. Replacing both could be messy. Who will run things in the interim? Sheila's estate planner? I would just assume ride them both out. It's good from an optics standpoint for potential hires. The bar was set at where the team was standing come December. Gives more time to plan behind the scenes too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Of course not but firing Patricia during the season but not Quinn is an indicator Quinn is staying around. Replacing both could be messy. Who will run things in the interim? Sheila's estate planner? I would just assume ride them both out. It's good from an optics standpoint for potential hires. The bar was set at where the team was standing come December. Gives more time to plan behind the scenes too.

I don't know about the optics part. We have been told that the directive is to be in the playoff discussion. 1 team in modern football has made the playoffs after starting 0-4. Going 0-4 essentially confirms that you are not going to be in contention come December. In fact, it is exponentially worse than anyone would have imagined with the thought process of "if we have a healthy quarterback and more time to put the right pieces in place".

If you are Sheila sitting in the owner's box watching your team fall to 0-4, the first thought in your head has to be...holy shit, I gave you another chance to prove that you can make improvement and find yourself in the mix, and you have made me look stupid in doing so, on a public platform. It's embarrassing to have given the two of you a second or third chance.

She's not going to sit there oblivious to what this means, and she's not going to fall victim to a plea that there's a lot of football left. Her decision will essentially be made for her, and it comes down to if she is the second coming of Martha and is all snarl, no bite, or if she actually stands behind her comments about taking winning seriously.

Reactions: RabidBadger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad