OT: Michigan Sports Talk IV: The Voyage to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The season was absolutely a disappointment. After that 27-12 start, it was one long tumultuous road where they could seemingly never put it together consistently. The offense was either blazing or non existent, the bullpen was just awful, and the while the starters certainly weren't bad - with the exception of Porcello - they all had worse seasons than the previous. And Porcello fell apart the last month.

Getting rid of the Fielder contract for Kinsler was a plus, JD Martinez was an amazing surprise, and VMart was spectacular, but Verlander continued his downward spiral, Cabrera took much of the season to finally look like Cabrera (high standards, I know), the Fister trade was a disaster for this season, and losing Rondon before game 1 certainly hurt the cause.

Clinching the division on the final game of the season and then going on to get swept in 3 games sums it up.

Ugh, that bullpen.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
This season was absolutely a disaster.

They had a $170 million payroll, a $75+ million payroll advantage over the Royals, multiple MVPs and Cy Young winners, and were swept in the first round, largely due to a terrible bullpen... which they knew was a problem last year and failed to address properly. In addition, it's very possible that this is their last year with Scherzer and Martinez.

Painting this as anything less than a disaster is a joke.

Imagine if they hadn't found J.D. Martinez.

The Tigers actually lost game 1 due to Scherzer's ER (although the relievers were even more terrible) and game 3 because of lousy batting. Game two was effectively lost by Chamberlain and Soria, while Verlander's lackluster start did not help either. The ALDS is a very small sample size, but the Tigers pay hefty salaries to accomplished veterans in order to somehow defy or at least improve the odds. They were not able to beat a hot Orioles team (albeit with some of their best players missing), which they defeated in 5 of 6 regular season games. Thus the postseason was a massive disappointment.

The regular season should be considered as a disappointment as well, despite reaching the 90 win threshold that many pundits predicted. I will comment on Dombrowski's past and hopefully future moves later, since we have too much offseason to fill anyway...

Gruß,
BSHH

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This season was absolutely a disaster.

They had a $170 million payroll, a $75+ million payroll advantage over the Royals, multiple MVPs and Cy Young winners, and were swept in the first round, largely due to a terrible bullpen... which they knew was a problem last year and failed to address properly. In addition, it's very possible that this is their last year with Scherzer and Martinez.

Painting this as anything less than a disaster is a joke.

Imagine if they hadn't found J.D. Martinez.

Despite the payroll, though, they still won about what was expected of them, and had the flaws that darn near everyone knew they had. The season was a disappointment, but they won 90 games and their division. I have a hard time calling that a disaster.

With the bullpen, I wasn't happy with their offseason moves, but they signed one of (if not the) best closers on the market and rolled the dice on a guy in Joba who at least had some good stuff - and who ended up having an alright year. DD then traded for Soria, who had been tearing it up in Texas and had a pretty good track record as a late game pitcher. Between those three guys, the last few inning of every game shouldn't have been the nailbiters, if not out and out disasters, that they often ended up being.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
The playoffs are largely a roll of the dice in MLB. The two top NL teams are already out and the Angels had the best team in MLB and were swept by the Royals. I don't think the season is a disaster if you win the division. Its disappointing to lose again, but try to win the division next year and see what happens next time around.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If he can stay sober. Dude always had a huge leg but I'll take a guy that can make 40 yarder.

If the dude is drunk all the time I dont think Caldwell will stand for it. I also dont think a kicker is going to mess up the rooms chemistry, guys probably will be just happy to have a guy who can make kicks

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If the dude is drunk all the time I dont think Caldwell will stand for it. I also dont think a kicker is going to mess up the rooms chemistry, guys probably will be just happy to have a guy who can make kicks

Drunk or not, if he kicks the ball straight and long maybe the Lions should just live with it. Kickers are sorta like the goalies of the NFL, anyway. They're allowed to be a bit...off.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't understand this offensive scheme... you got a QB with one of the best arms in the league yet the furthest pass he's attempted all day has been like 15 yards.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Anyone really surprised the offense is weak when Calvin isn't playing? They're going to have to win game with their defense until Megatron returns.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Anyone really surprised the offense is weak when Calvin isn't playing? They're going to have to win game with their defense until Megatron returns.

Calvins such a huge weapon though, and we're missing bush. Our D has been doing the heavy lifting this season though

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Calvins such a huge weapon though, and we're missing bush. Our D has been doing the heavy lifting this season though

Bush is so overrated. He's been trash this year. It's infuriating the lack of targets to our TE's. I honestly forgot Pettigrew was on the team until I saw him sitting on the bench next to Bell on the sidelines.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Anyone wanna tell me this defense wont be top 10 at the end of the season or nah?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Nice to get the W, what a dissapointing finish in the GB game. damn fumble recover by Lang. Have to say Riddick looked good today and the D was unreal out there.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Anyone wanna tell me this defense wont be top 10 at the end of the season or nah?

I still want to see more before I'm truly convinced that they're as good as the numbers suggest. I know they dominated GB, but for the most part they've been playing against poor offenses and QBs.

There's no denying how good they've played though, regardless of who it's been against. Detroit undoubtably has one of the best fronts in football and with Slay potentially emerging as a real player, it's an exciting thought. But beings Lions fan automatically puts some doubt into you.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Stafford only converted 1 out 12 third downs. Pathetic.

He was brutal on 3rd downs last week as well.

If you live in the Detroit area, don't ever listen to 97.1 late, late night. One of their middle of the night hosts, Eric Thomas, is the biggest Stafford apologist in the world and it makes for unbearable radio. It's a shame because I actually enjoy his show if they're not talking Stafford, but that topic is unavoidable at this time of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad