Micheal Ryder : To sign or not to sign?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Replace Armstrong if you have to by one of those players, not Ryder.

Armstrong is a 1 mil cap hit, those guys will be 4-5 mil cap hits on multi(3-5) year deals. Plus those guys won't sign here to play 4th line. That's like saying let's get Doug Murray to replace Desharnais. Apples to oranges.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think for sure he gets 3 years, maybe 4, and at $4.5M given the lack of UFA talent. Im waffling on him. Guess what he does in the play-offs will be important. So far, the guys that have been the most effective and dangerous are the guys willing to attack and hang in the slot of the Ottawa net, namely Bourque and Gallagher. Play-off hockey right, you aren't going to score from the top of the face-off circle and beyond unless goalie is screened or on a deflection. Ryders game is his uncanny ability to find the open spot from the bottom face-off circle in to snap it in. If he can do it in the play-offs that's another weapon,from medium to short range. This is actually a huge decision because his is the only realistic opening on the top 9, if you set aside the trade Gio talk. His spot will not be left open for a rookie, rookies will fill in for injured guys.
To sign him, MB will need to be convinced that Ryder will keep it up for the next 3 years as Im sure he views that as the opening of our window and he wants quality pieces for this time, no getting guys you think will be good for a year or two but sign them for a couple more just to sign them. Thing is, I could see Ryder holding out for 4 years , and that's getting too long for me.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
For a guy that's 33 years old, 3-4 year deal is long term yes. If you're talking a 22-25 year old it's short term.

Ha ha... right! Let's sign Galchenyuk on a short term deal for the next 8 years! I also heard Jagr may sign a huge, extra-long term one year extension with the Bruins!

What kind of logic is this?

Short term: 1-2 years
Middle of the road: 3 years
Long term: 5+ years

Older players (35+) don't sign 'long term' deals for 2-3 years. They just sign short terms deals and that's it.

We could argue about it, but there's no way Ryder, at 33, considers a 3 years deal 'long term' and thus suited to lower AAV. It's short/middle term and show me the money.

So don't bother offering 3.5 for 3 years (10.5M total). He will very easily get the same amount for 2 years (@5.25M/y) on the UFA market.

No wonder why people are usually disappointed when we sign players.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'd like to sign him 2 years and move Gionta out. Ryder would be much better on a top line with Bourque and Plekanec.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Ha ha... right! Let's sign Galchenyuk on a short term deal for the next 8 years! I also heard Jagr may sign a huge, extra-long term one year extension with the Bruins!

What kind of logic is this?

Short term: 1-2 years
Middle of the road: 3 years
Long term: 5+ years

Older players (35+) don't sign 'long term' deals for 2-3 years. They just sign short terms deals and that's it.

We could argue about it, but there's no way Ryder, at 33, considers a 3 years deal 'long term' and thus suited to lower AAV. It's short/middle term and show me the money.

So don't bother offering 3.5 for 3 years (10.5M total). He will very easily get the same amount for 2 years (@5.25M/y) on the UFA market.

No wonder why people are usually disappointed when we sign players.

Do you have a clue how to read? Because your response makes no sense at all.

If you're talking a 33 yaer old 3-4 years IS long term. For a 23 year old, long term is 6-7-8 years. It's about perspective.

I think the Habs(MB) would like to extend Ryder for 2 years, but Ryder will want to go to UFA because he'll want 3-4 years and stability going forward coming off 2 very good years.

I'm sure Ryder will get more as a UFA but maybe he likes it here(close to home, familiarity, great fans and closer to home) and is willing to take 250-500 k less per year to stay.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Cut Desharnais and Gionta and you have tons of money for Ryder and other players.

A 30 goal scorer who doesn't suck defensively is valuable.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Oh wow... I'm trying to avoid the Desharnais thread just so I don't have to read that kind of stupid comments from so-called Habs fans. Looks like it's impossible to avoid, finally.

My pleasure.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
If there is no one better in the market this summer and Bergevin doesn't want to trade, I'd say sign him for 2seasons.

Sandvich

VERY NICE
Sep 15, 2008
1. Sign Ryder - 5 Years 50 Millions
2. ???
3. Draft Connor Mcdavid
4. Stanley Cup

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
If he wants somthing like 2 years/8 million or 3 years/10.5 million then sure.

Or else he goes.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Ryder is 33, signing him more than 2 years would be pretty risky especially considering it would be at 4.5-5 mil. The other part that would worry me is that Ryder has one 30 goal campaign in his last six seasons and two, 25+ goals season in his last six, three if you count this one based on a pro rated 82 game schedule.

Its really tough to tell which Ryder you would get from season to season, the 30-40 point player or the 50-60 point player. Some players I would say its worth the risk but if Ryder isn't scoring, he is extremely useless on the ice and rarely makes his teamates better.

I'd sign him for a season or two but if he wants more, let him walk. Much rather spend money on trying to get Clarkson.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i'd be very suprised to see him back, he should be able to get a good amount of money in July so i would be surprised to see him give up that chance as it could be his last big contract depending on how good his agent is and how desperate some teams will get this summer.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If you're talking a 33 yaer old 3-4 years IS long term. For a 23 year old, long term is 6-7-8 years. It's about perspective.

As I wrote: 'long term' or 'short term' is the same for everyone, not age-based. 'Older' players (i.e. past UFA age) tend to sign short term deals with higher AAV. That's it.

Ryder at 33 will not accept a lower AAV on a 'long-term' 3 years deal. At his age, it's short/middle term and show me the money. He's coming off two very good seasons. No way he signs for 3 years at 3.5.

If you want him at 3.5, it has to be for 4-5 years or more, which I agree is a bad idea.

I think the Habs(MB) would like to extend Ryder for 2 years, but Ryder will want to go to UFA because he'll want 3-4 years and stability going forward coming off 2 very good years.

2 years is fine. But another GM will likely offer 5-5.5 for 2 years. So you have to match that.

I'm sure Ryder will get more as a UFA but maybe he likes it here(close to home, familiarity, great fans and closer to home) and is willing to take 250-500 k less per year to stay.

OK, fine, offer him 2 years at 4.75-5M. He may accept the deal (which I seriously doubt). But as I wrote: no way he takes a similar total amount (i.e. 10.5M) on 3 years.

At 3 years 3.5/y you're basically asking him to work an extra year for free. You know, at the ripe age of 33, it's a lot to ask for! ;)

That's the thing about perspective. I works both ways. You're going with a cheap-a$$ management perspective. I'm showing you the player's perspective.

Ryder has much better options than 3 years at 3.5M. You have to account for that in your assessment.

King Niinimaa*

If habs want him for short term, it's going to be 2 years / 10 mills and even that would be a discount (accepting short term). This may be his last chance for a big contract, so no way he's going to stick with peanuts. I wouldn't like a 3-4 year contract, because even though he's been great for the last two years, I don't think he'd be worth it through the contract.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Either sign him or sign a player that can score 30 goals in a season. His contributions on offense were very important this season and I'm not sure we can expect guys like Gionta and Markov to maintain a consistent offensive presence, or bank on the development from the younger players, and expect to stay in the position we were this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad