Micheal Ryder : To sign or not to sign?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Michael Ryder will be UFA this summer. I'm really loving what he brings to this team. Of course, he'll never be defensively oriented and I'll never be a hitting machine, but I think every team needs that kind of offensively gifted player who's main strenght is to put the goal in the net.

Since his first stint with the Habs, I think he really matured. He also improved his passing and I don't think he's a defensive liability anymore. I also love how clutch he is and how he often scores important goals. If we want to keep 3 offensive lines next season, then I think we won't find much better on the market. At 33 years old, I also think he could be good for another 3 years at least, so I would make him this offer :

3 years, $12 millions
1st year : $4,5 millions
2nd year : $4 millions
3rd year : $3,5 millions
Cap hit : $4 millions

Not sure he would accept, since he might get more on the free market, but I think it's worth a try.

What would you do?

Last edited:

PricePkPatch*

He certainly brings something to the team. Bergevin and Therrien will have to discuss if they could find a better UFA instead. Maybe Clowe? Maybe someone else.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If he helps win us the Cup, give him whatever he wants.
If he sucks in the playoffs, let him walk.

Simple as that.

Analyzer*

Not to sign.

When he's not scoring he's doing nothing.

For Boston in the playoffs he was huge.

On the side of reasons to sign he seems to consistently get 25-30 goals.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Another thing we have to consider is : Ryder might want to play on the right wing, and he might make it a condition for re-signing. That would mean moving Gionta to the 3rd line, on the left wing or trade him. I think that's a situation that can be handled. Ryder brings more to the team and is much more durable than Gionta.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Re-sign him. I dont believe theres a player like him on the market this year and we need a sniper like him who seems to be getting better with age.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Always have to answer the followiong question.....are we going to be better whether we sign him or not. If you feel there are some youth that can do the job and maybe better, you don't sign him. If you feel you have a trade in place that makes him expendable...if you feel there's a UFA that could do the job etc....

But if not.....while he's not perfect, he might be the best we can do. As a team we need to improve.

PricePkPatch*

Re-sign him. I dont believe theres a player like him on the market this year and we need a sniper like him who seems to be getting better with age.

Is there a player like him that could step up from our prospects?

And would we better off with a player like him, or another kind?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
3 years is long-term now?

For all we know, Ryder may be looking for a 5 years deal and will likely get it on the UFA market. So no way he signs 'long term' with the Habs for 3.5M.

I know the cap is going down, but it's going down by less than 10%. So instead of asking for 5M+, Ryder will command a salary in the 4.5-5M range.

That's about it. Stop deluding yourself with these 'long term' deals at 3.5M. Won't happen.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Negotiate for sure, have to see what he wants. Any Habs' offer should be pegged to his playoff performance IMHO. Personally I love having a Newfoundlander on the club, the Habs should represent all Canadians east of Yonge Street.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Ryder will demand much more than $3.5M and that's why I say let him walk.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The last 2 options are basically the same. If you offer a guy that's put up 51 goals and 97 points the last 2 years(128 games) a 1 or 2 year deal for UNDER 3.5 mil/year, don't even bother making the offer you're insulting the guy.

I think on the UFA market he'll get 4.5-5 mil/year depending on how long a contract he wants. I think the best case scenario if the Habs want him back is 3 years at 12-13 mil as a "hometown discount". I think as a UFA he'll get minimum 4 years and 17-18 mil.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
3 years is long-term now?

For all we know, Ryder may be looking for a 5 years deal and will likely get it on the UFA market. So no way he signs 'long term' with the Habs for 3.5M.

I know the cap is going down, but it's going down by less than 10%. So instead of asking for 5M+, Ryder will command a salary in the 4.5-5M range.

That's about it. Stop deluding yourself with these 'long term' deals at 3.5M. Won't happen.

For a guy that's 33 years old, 3-4 year deal is long term yes. If you're talking a 22-25 year old it's short term.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
No. He is soft and floating the last 10 games. Use the money elsewhere. Clarkson or Clowe.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
See ya Micheal, thanks for stopping by.

No, we sure don't need offensive players. :shakehead Wake up, he was nearly a .ppg player for the whole season and part of why we are one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad