Micheal Ryder : To sign or not to sign?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's the differential between goals scored and goals allowed that really matters. Also, depreciation due to age means that this kind of pace is not something Ryder will maintain well into the future. Perhaps this level of production can be sustained for maybe 2 more years.

I think the ideal contract for Ryder is 2 more years. Not sure if his camp will agree.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's all great to let guys walk but how do you replace him?

Why does that have to be known right now? The offseason hasn't even started. MB can make trades, young players fill roles or free agency.

I would be very surprised if Ryder accepted a two year deal and anything too cheap. This is probably his last chance to land a big deal and I have no interest in that coming from the Habs. You want that, then good for you.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I'm not suggesting to re-sign him at 5-6 million.

I think if you can get him re-signed for 2 years at 9 mil it's a no brainer. 3 years and 13.5 is about as far as I'd stretch it. The 3rd year is a concern because Gallagher Galchenyuk Tinordi Beaulieu all get new deals in 2015.

Moving out Kaberle gives us some flexibility in 2013. 2014 looks real good with Gionta Markov deals up but Emelin and Diaz will get raises. It's good to have cap space but too much is sometimes a sign that some huge holes could also be there.

Shopping for UFA's is like eating desert, a little is good but too much goes to your gut(cap hits).

Well, I would say UFA shopping is an like an auction. If the product is valuable and there is nothing else like it, people are going to go bananas bidding on their guy. Meanwhile, if the product is more like a commodity, then people will hold their water and try to keep the price low.

I don't think Ryder will settle for just 4.5 million. If the market for him is cold enough, we could get him at that price and term, but some team would probably sell out to land him.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
At the end of the day, scoring goals hasn't really been our biggest problem this year. We may not have a big game-breaking scorer, but there's a pretty good committee in place, with or without Ryder. There are other areas that are a bigger problem for us. Conversely, there are some other teams whose biggest problem actually is scoring goals. And he'll get the premium contract from one of those teams, where he wouldn't from us. Fair enough.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
OT but......Time to spell his name correctly.

MichAEL

Otherwise it would be pronounced like MontrEAL.

Seriously, is this why people misspell their children's names?

Like Steeve, or Darryn...

Sorry, back on topic.
I would not have Ryder on my team. He is the most invisible 30 goal scorer in the league.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Honestly the Ryder that I remembered is back, floating and never engaging physically. I was at the game yesterday and he is very frustrating to watch. I would rather we bring back Akost over Ryder, anyday. At least even when he wasn't scoring, Kostitsyn was a tank.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Ryder just wants summer vacation to start... at least that's how he plays right now.

He also wants to be injury free for his final UFA contract.

He won his cup already.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why does that have to be known right now? The offseason hasn't even started. MB can make trades, young players fill roles or free agency.

I would be very surprised if Ryder accepted a two year deal and anything too cheap. This is probably his last chance to land a big deal and I have no interest in that coming from the Habs. You want that, then good for you.

I'm not asking MB I'm asking posters making ridiculously well thought out posts like: "Let him walk" and nothing else.

Bottom line if you're going to let somebody walk as a GM you should have a plan to bring in something as good or better, so if you are, as a poster, putting on the GM shoes well at least suggest something reasonable.

"Let's let Ryder walk and offer Clarkson 5 years and 25 mil."

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Well, I would say UFA shopping is an like an auction. If the product is valuable and there is nothing else like it, people are going to go bananas bidding on their guy. Meanwhile, if the product is more like a commodity, then people will hold their water and try to keep the price low.

I don't think Ryder will settle for just 4.5 million. If the market for him is cold enough, we could get him at that price and term, but some team would probably sell out to land him.

The problem is that there is not a lot of suplly and a ton of demand so UFA's often get overvalued and ridiculous deals. Do you think Suter and Parise are worth 12 mil/year?

In terms of Ryder my suggestion of 4.5 mil means he gives the Habs a "home town discount", he's closer to home and appeared to be happy to be back.

LesHabs66

Apr 11, 2007
Minneapolis MN
A 2 year deal with the hometown discount would be fine. Who else do they have in Hamilton that can replace him next season? if the opt for FA they are going to pay a premium ala Eric Cole for a decent winger. If anyone needs to be shown the door it is Gionta.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
A 2 year deal with the hometown discount would be fine. Who else do they have in Hamilton that can replace him next season? if the opt for FA they are going to pay a premium ala Eric Cole for a decent winger. If anyone needs to be shown the door it is Gionta.

Ryder might want that premium.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Let him walk, then replace him with a powerforward.

And don't bring up Erik Cole in this discussion. I want a physical, nasty, borderline crazy SOB. I want Clowe or Clarkson.

If it's not possible, get the next closest thing and sign Bickell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->