Confirmed with Link: Micheal Haley

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And you can go watch figure skating too. :nod:

I think team/locker-room culture has a very direct effect on winning. Specifically in the playoffs, when the going gets tough. This may be a good explanation as to why these Sharks under achieve so often. Intensity, competitiveness, etc.

Well, in the playoffs, those guys aren't in the lineup or shouldn't be in the lineup so it's hard to change that dynamic for the playoffs if they aren't on the ice. They certainly don't need it during the season since that time isn't the problem. You'd think they'd want to get players that are playoff hardened if they were worried about toughness for the playoffs.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Well, in the playoffs, those guys aren't in the lineup or shouldn't be in the lineup so it's hard to change that dynamic for the playoffs if they aren't on the ice. They certainly don't need it during the season since that time isn't the problem. You'd think they'd want to get players that are playoff hardened if they were worried about toughness for the playoffs.

This is super obvious but ...They would have already changed the culture of the team. Instilling some toughness and whatnot.

And wasn't Mike Brown in the lineup? and wasn't he quite effective?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is super obvious but ...They would have already changed the culture of the team. Instilling some toughness and whatnot.

You think this is the first year they've added a person like this, proceeded through the regular season, and then still failed in the playoffs? The culture doesn't change by bringing in goons. It changes by moving a core piece out or they break through.

Yes, Brown was in the lineup...no, he was not effective.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
You think this is the first year they've added a person like this, proceeded through the regular season, and then still failed in the playoffs? The culture doesn't change by bringing in goons. It changes by moving a core piece out or they break through.

Yes, Brown was in the lineup...no, he was not effective.

He was pretty god damn effective in games 1-3.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
How would he handle fighting guys like Brown or Scott?

Also, does he have talent, or is he more like a guy like Scott?

I think he'd do well against Brown and most of the legit fighters in the NHL. Scott is a sideshow act, so I'm not sure Bonneau would fight him unless he was "forced" to.

No one will ever mistake Bonneau for a top six player, but while he doesn't score many goals when he's on the ice the opponents don't score many either. Bonneau has very good hockey sense, maybe even borderline "great". He just doesn't have the talent to take advantage of it.

Let's put it this way, when Bonneau is on the ice for Worcester I know I'm not going to see him take an idiot penalty and I'm confident the opponent isn't going to have an easy chance scoring chance because of him.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I just looked this up...in 125 games for Worcester Bonneau has been in the penalty box for a goal against four times. He's 5-6-11 (-1) over that span.

Not bad for a guy that's predominantly a fighter.

oyster

Jan 19, 2011

Team got outshot with him on the ice more than every other player on the team excluding Broken Havlat.

I agree that the culture needs a change, but guys like Brown and Scott are pretty peripheral to the team. They're going to be on the ice for less than 10 minutes and aren't in leadership roles. If this team is going to have a real, meaningful culture change it's going to need to come from the top. Things were different in Nolan era because he was a top player and the captain. I know letters on jerseys are overblown, but at the very least he's at least playing significant minutes every game. The current fighters on this team aren't going to play enough minutes to make a significant impact to the on-ice product.

For better or worse this team doesn't see significant culture change until Thornton and Marleau are gone, IMO.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I just looked this up...in 125 games for Worcester Bonneau has been in the penalty box for a goal against four times. He's 5-6-11 (-1) over that span.

Not bad for a guy that's predominantly a fighter.

I've always liked Bonneau. Great fighter for an AHL heavyweight despite not having real "heavyweight" size. Would rather have him than Scott in SJ. Although I think playing against Scott (goon) would be a lot scarier than Bonneau.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
but guys like Brown and Scott are pretty peripheral to the team.

Exactly, so WTF? They don't add anything therefore they subtract. Their signing has nothing to do with cultural change.

Still waiting for DW to do anything meaningful this off season. If we stick with the same basic team we'll get the same basic results.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
for a 4th line player I'd take that. Better than the top line doing nothing almost all series.

You still have 71 other shifts over six games where they are ineffective and getting pinned into their own zone for a very large majority of their time on the ice. Who do you think pops on after their shifts and has an uphill battle damn near every time? The 4th line is part of the reason why the top line was doing nothing almost the entire series. It's hard enough to beat the Kings at even strength when the playing field is even. Then add that you have to start in your own zone damn near every time and you're playing a losing game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad