Injury Report: Micheal Ferland (Upper Body)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
According to Smith's Tweetmail today:

Micheal Ferland has been dealing with a nagging upper-body injury (it's not a concussion) that appeared to be reaggravated during his fight with David Backes on Tuesday night in Boston. Brind'Amour did not have any further update to pass along after the game, so that's all we know at this point in time.
The unfortunate part of all of this is that it began with a clean hit. Yes, the hit was heavy and devastating. Yes, Marcus Johansson unfortunately left the game injured. But it was shoulder-to-shoulder, as clean as they come. Boston's response was foolishly running around on the very next shift, followed by Backes challenging Ferland.
"Just because you hit a guy clean doesn't mean you have to fight every time," Justin Williams wisely pointed out after the game. "[Ferland] certainly doesn't back down from anybody."

TweetMail

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
On the one hand, he might be toughing it out trying to play through a nagging injury. On the other hand, he has aggravated it and left on numerous occasions, which just leaves us short handed. Really don't want to be worrying about this for 5-6 years. Hard to say if it's a rough year, or start of a trend that could grow worse. I'd hate to lose him for nothing, but we're going to have to draw a line in the sand in negotiations.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Man I like Ferland a lot and what he brings to the team with skill and a heavy game. But all these injuries aren’t helping his case to be a Cane long term.

dundon doesn't seem like the kind of dude to chase you with more money after his final offer. these injuries are dropping his free agency value, but ferland wasn't ever going to get done here. i remember when we traded for him, calgary fans were upset but they always offered the caveat about predictions of not being able to sign him making it easier to pull the trigger. we took a gamble on a chance for a season long pitch, but we probably aren't getting this one done regardless. i don't think nino is a hurricane right now if we are able to ink ferland when we first wanted to do it. the news wasn't all bad on that one and we may have to content ourselves with that for a long time that the nino trade should add into the calgary trade math.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
dundon doesn't seem like the kind of dude to chase you with more money after his final offer. these injuries are dropping his free agency value, but ferland wasn't ever going to get done here. i remember when we traded for him, calgary fans were upset but they always offered the caveat about predictions of not being able to sign him making it easier to pull the trigger. we took a gamble on a chance for a season long pitch, but we probably aren't getting this one done regardless. i don't think nino is a hurricane right now if we are able to ink ferland when we first wanted to do it. the news wasn't all bad on that one and we may have to content ourselves with that for a long time that the nino trade should add into the calgary trade math.

My only thought here is wouldn't his seemingly depreciated value make him more affordable for us? Maybe Ferland still see's himself at a certain value regardless of all of the injuries this season, but other teams will have the same reservations that we will. The injuries concern me so I'm not gonna cry in my beer if we lose him, but he could also be worth the risk if we can get him at a reasonable price point due to said decreased value.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
A lung contusion? I didn't even know that was a thing. That just sounds awful.

ya ya.........me either.
Ferland hits like a freight train.
According to Wiki, Lung Contusion is a deep bruise and takes 5-10 days to heal.
Wikipedia:
A pulmonary contusion, also known as lung contusion, is a bruise of the lung, caused by chest trauma. As a result of damage to capillaries, blood and other fluids accumulate in the lung tissue. The excess fluid interferes with gas exchange, potentially leading to inadequate oxygen levels (hypoxia). Unlike pulmonary laceration, another type of lung injury, pulmonary contusion does not involve a cut or tear of the lung tissue.
A pulmonary contusion is usually caused directly by
blunt trauma but can also result from explosion injuries or a shock wave associated with penetrating trauma. With the use of explosives during World Wars I and II, pulmonary contusion resulting from blasts gained recognition. In the 1960s its occurrence in civilians began to receive wider recognition, in which cases it is usually caused by traffic accidents. The use of seat belts and airbags reduces the risk to vehicle occupants.
Prognosis:
Pulmonary contusion usually resolves itself[23] without causing permanent complications;[1] however it may also have long-term ill effects on respiratory function.[38][65] Most contusions resolve in five to seven days after the injury.[1] Signs detectable by radiography are usually gone within 10 days after the injury—when they are not, other conditions, such as pneumonia, are the likely cause.[27]
Pulmonary contusion - Wikipedia

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That’s a legit hit. He should be fine from the contusion. Long term complications are usually for those who are more compromised from health issues and age in the first place. Especially with those who have respiratory issues already. He needs to let it heal and he’ll likely feel the effects for awhile.

Ferland has had a bad year for injuries but I don’t view it as much different than Skinner. Ferland had one concussion before, this year has been marred by injuries but I don’t know that I’d call him injury prone. He clearly keeps coming back early and showing little caution when he does, for his team and for his career. I’m not worried about signing him at all. This year has been a storm for him, when it passes I would assume he would do a better job of picking his battles and letting himself heal. Love the guy, and we very much need a Ferland. If we can get him signed to me it’s a no brainer.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Same injury I remember James Wisniewski getting with Anaheim during their Playoff run in 08-09. Wiz took a slap shot to the ribs, broke one and pierced his lung. Finished the shift and then was rushed to the hospital. Could have been the same situation with Ferland crushing MoJo.

That’s a legit hit. He should be fine from the contusion. Long term complications are usually for those who are more compromised from health issues and age in the first place. Especially with those who have respiratory issues already. He needs to let it heal and he’ll likely feel the effects for awhile.

Ferland has had a bad year for injuries but I don’t view it as much different than Skinner. Ferland had one concussion before, this year has been marred by injuries but I don’t know that I’d call him injury prone. He clearly keeps coming back early and showing little caution when he does, for his team and for his career. I’m not worried about signing him at all. This year has been a story for him, when it passes I would assume he would do a better job of picking his battles and letting himself heal. Love the guy, and we very much need a Ferland. If we can get him signed to me it’s a no brainer.

Need Ferland to be more Marchand-like. Petulant and aggressive but able to smirk off fighting challenges that could result in injury.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Long term injuries are rarely the result of fights. I'd rather him continue to drop them when necessary, except when fighting a "nagging" injury. The Boston shit was dumb, but with the overall uptick in chipiness, someone was going to have to answer the bell. I'd prefer it be a Martinook or McGinn, but Ferland is well suited.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Contract or not the guy is obviously willing to go through a wall to play. He has a chance to play in the nhl playoffs. He has the chance to impact whether we get there or not, and to impact the games once there. It should be respected he’s going to be that way even if the injuries set him back professionally this summer. He’s already shown us multiple times he doesn’t care. We should be loving the guy, not saying we’re indifferent to re signing him. He’s committed to finishing this year hard at obviously any cost. That’s the mindset this teams needs to see and exactly what management wanted when we got him. He’s probably gone after the season but the guy deserves a slow clap.

Especially after fighting a battle he shouldn’t have had to after a clean hit, and did it because it’s the right thing to do in his mind.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I love the way Ferland plays. I think he gives us a thing we haven't had at least since Ruutu, or maybe ever. Just want to make sure that thing is valued appropriately.
I've been following this team since the '00-'01 season. Of all the guys who have come and gone in that time, I can think of three who brought the same combination of sandpaper and scoring: Walker, Ruutu, and maybe Cole. Gary Roberts probably belongs in that group too, but he was just before my time.

Anyway, glad to see Ferland skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad