Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny to capitals for a 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Someone else is probably going out. This isn't enough of a slam-dunk veteran upgrade for a playoff push to be spending a 3rd rounder in the coming draft. Makes me think they want to keep this guy, which means room will be made.
This isn't a playoff upgrade at all. I think he has played one NHL playoff game.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
This is simple. Kempny will play 3LD. With Mike Green as 3RD who will be acquired while dumping Orpik to make cap work. Bingo! :P

And who even needs PK nowadays?

PS: Considering his possession numbers... Yeah, he's good enough to replace Carlson next season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I cannot believe I am the only one to figure it out.

Come playoff time. we will be rolling 7D again. Kempy isn't replacing a D, he is replacing Vrana Bura or the next youngest forward that didn't score the previous game.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Yeah! I'm so excited that we got that guy. He's so much better than the guy we have, that guy has so much potential. Our current guy and / or guys suck - they're dead weight. Now that we have this guy we can get rid of our current craptastic guy.

Say it with me - WE WANT THAT GUY....WE WANT THAT GUY...WE WANT THAT GUY!!!!

What's his name again?

Reactions: Bananas

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah! I'm so excited that we got that guy. He's so much better than the guy we have, that guy has so much potential. Our current guy and / or guys suck - they're dead weight. Now that we have this guy we can get rid of our current craptastic guy.

Say it with me - WE WANT THAT GUY....WE WANT THAT GUY...WE WANT THAT GUY!!!!

What's his name again?

Trotz?

Reactions: discobob

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
His name? Slim Shady.

We are this far along in the season, Ovi likes him, Barry's a good guy in first place, we beat Buffalo, Dick wants tinkering, not big waves. Retaining Oshie last summer, just extending Eller, all points to things staying status quo.

Fire his ass. The team needs a kick in the butt, a fresh voice. Ovi ain't getting any younger. Holtby our defacto captain is not at all happy with the on ice product and is not shy about telling everyone. I do hope Dick realizes Braden's cries are an indictment of Barry and BMac as much as, if not more, than the players.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
A little confused by this move. I thought they were planning to upgrade on D. My thinking was bring in another solid D and use one of the young guys as depth. Soo now what?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I have a feeling they are gonna resign him. Seems more of a long term guy then a rental
Yep, that's the way I'm seeing it as well. Chorney's a pending UFA so it's suggesting to me that they have no interest in resigning Chorney and want to take a look at Kempny to see if he's a better option for d-depth.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So what move do they do for kempny?

Do they need to do anything right now? CapFriendly has them compliant though I guess they should bank as much cap space as possible over the next week, however many pennies that may be.

Barring jettisoning Orpik somehow I guess you send Bowey down to play in Hershey but I wouldn't be opposed to waiving Chorney either.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Do they need to do anything right now? CapFriendly has them compliant though I guess they should bank as much cap space as possible over the next week, however many pennies that may be.

Barring jettisoning Orpik somehow I guess you send Bowey down to play in Hershey but I wouldn't be opposed to waiving Chorney either.

I just don't see them carrying 8 defenders but I'm probably wrong

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We rolled 7 D last loffs an awful lot (after barely doing so in the RS), so carrying 8 to close out the year seems possible.

If so, I guess we weren't ready for Chorney to be a regular as soon as the playoffs start. Or, have we abandoned that failed approach from last year. I still contribute that forced shuffling of 7D/pairs, to the goal allowed by the dreaded 'open up the gut' Alzner Orpik pairing. All it took was 1 shift for the 7 D thing to crash and burn.

When you decide to go 11 forwards and 7 D, it goes against all that is normal in the hockey world. 2 forwards, homeless. All the functioning presidential d pairs from the regular season, thrown into chaos. Not to mention Holts probably not liking it.

I still think we should have just stopped f***ing around and used Schmidt at 4RW if we were hell bent on using our best 18 skaters. He looked fantastic jumping up into the play all year long, and should have been doing so long before that.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I still think we should have just stopped ****ing around and used Schmidt at 4RW if we were hell bent on using our best 18 skaters. He looked fantastic jumping up into the play all year long, and should have been doing so long before that.

They should have just used Schmidt as 2LD from the beginning like they eventually did, and sat either Orpik or Alzner. From what I remember they barely tried an Alzner-Shattenkirk pairing, which could have made some sense as a third pairing where each is limited at 5v5 but could have taken significant special teams time (Alzner on the PK, Shattenkirk on the PP).

But yeah throwing 7 D out there despite not doing it once in the regular season during Trotz's tenure screams of ineptitude.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sounds like Chorney is gone

That's not a smile
8471710.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They should have just used Schmidt as 2LD from the beginning like they eventually did, and sat either Orpik or Alzner. From what I remember they barely tried an Alzner-Shattenkirk pairing, which could have made some sense as a third pairing where each is limited at 5v5 but could have taken significant special teams time (Alzner on the PK, Shattenkirk on the PP).

But yeah throwing 7 D out there despite not doing it once in the regular season during Trotz's tenure screams of ineptitude.

Agreed, but playing Alzner and Orpik was a priority to the Bare. Vet leadership schmeadership. Schmidt was "taylor" made to play against Pitt and their up tempo system. I suggested Schmidt at forward to retain continuity, and be an emergency D in case.... I dunno, Orpik took a string of dumb penalties, or Alzner popped a tire, etc. And, I still say Nate was excellent any time he was on a line rush while playing D. Outside of falling over after passing and shooting from his offside, the dude drove defenders backwards and made a lot of space.

Last edited:
Reactions: twabby

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
This move is imho an upgrade over one of young defenders in the gm eyes. whoever says it's an upgrade over orpik is clueless (mostly the main board), no one in their right mind goes to the playoffs with basically 3 rookies on D. we will see brooks orpik in the playoffs and we will see him a lot.

as for shmidt, this move in my eyes is basically GM admitting he screwed up with shmidt. he basically looked for shmidt and got this guy, only shmidt has a solid playoffs resume. bad asset management all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad