Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny to capitals for a 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
A bad player is a bad player, physicality or no physicality.

If I had a top pair of Karlsson and Josi, I would be jumping for joy not crying a river about lack of physicality.

Orpik sucks hard. Alzner sucked hard last season. Quest for physicality or leadership or whatever other bull**** you apparently must have is exactly how a very capable Schmidt landed in the press box while these two pylons were costing us hockey games.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A bad player is a bad player, physicality or no physicality.

If I had a top pair of Karlsson and Josi, I would be jumping for joy not crying a river about lack of physicality.

Orpik sucks hard. Alzner sucked hard last season. Quest for physicality or leadership or whatever other bull**** you apparently must have is exactly how a very capable Schmidt landed in the press box while these two pylons were costing us hockey games.

Nobody debating Orpik sucks now....solid rant though. ;)

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
What exactly do you see in Orpik that gives you confidence in him over pretty much any NHL level replacement at this point?

I'm not even very familiar with Kempny but his numbers and the comments from Chicago fans already lead me to believe he is a huge upgrade on Orpik because it's hard to be worse than one of the worst in the league.
where have you been the last 3 playoffs? first of all, trotz never ever will sit orpik. second of all, no one in their right mind goes to the playoffs with 3 defenders with total 1 playoff game when there is a reliable option (and orpik is a relaible option in the trotz and gm eyes)

EDIT: read the remaining conversation. Okey, twabby has an agenda, so big that he wants to go in the playoffs with basically 3 rookie defenders lol.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
where have you been the last 3 playoffs? first of all, trotz never ever will sit orpik. second of all, no one in their right mind goes to the playoffs with 3 defenders with total 1 playoff game when there is a reliable option (and orpik is a relaible option in the trotz and gm eyes)

EDIT: read the remaining conversation. Okey, twabby has an agenda, so big that he wants to go in the playoffs with basically 3 rookie defenders lol.

How is a rookie defender worse than a REPEATEDLY PROVEN horrible playoff defender. Rookie defender at least has potential upside/adrenaline.

Would you rather go with a rookie or dig up Brett Lebda and put him in? He's a vet with a bazillion playoff games.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
How is a rookie defender worse than a REPEATEDLY PROVEN horrible playoff defender. Rookie defender at least has potential upside/adrenaline.

Would you rather go with a rookie or dig up Brett Lebda and put him in? He's a vet with a bazillion playoff games.
I'm not saying they are worse. I'm just saying they are unknown. All you said is pure speculation at this point, we have no idea how they perform. With that being sAID, I said that before the Pitts trade, now I'm all for the arm race. Do whatever it takes to bring one of McD or Karlsson!

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm not saying they are worse. I'm just saying they are unknown. All you said is pure speculation at this point, we have no idea how they perform. With that being sAID, I said that before the Pitts trade, now I'm all for the arm race. Do whatever it takes to bring one of McD or Karlsson!

Can you imagine if we had Karlsson on our blue line? Obviously we would have to gut the team to get Ottawa to trade him to us, but just imagine having the current roster plus EK65. He's the piece we've been missing. Add him to any of the previous editions of the Caps and we are the #1 threat every year.

Reactions: burlivo

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Last time a Norris was on the market was Pronger. We were in on him but the price looked like JC, Varly, and a boat load of draft picks.
At that time I thought it was a bad deal. But the current window is over soon and then it's starting from ground zero. So go get the D Man we never had.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Was Pronger UFA?

If we did land Karlsson and retained our other RDs, the problem I see is the almost forced using of the bottom pair, which forces the usage of the our 3LD who may not be up to the challenge of 20 playoff TOI. I think we saw that last year with Shattenkirk, but coaches love to shorten the bench in the playoffs and roll the top 4 D. That bottom pair has to be damn strong to be treated as equals to the other 2 pairs.

Orlov Karlsson | Kempny Carlson | Orpik/DJoos Niskanen

Is Djoos on the outs? Getting 2LD certainly is not a ringing endorsement. But I don't think Kempny is ready for full time 2LD duty. We have lots of time to find out at least. Jeracek is insurance.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's been on the ice for a lot of goals against already. But the whole team looks completely lost and ineffective in the D Zone, so it's hard to single him out.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He looks weak in front. Watches goals well. Decent breaks so far. But the modern day PMD gets exposed below the goal line, so don't let him get there.

Dare I think he'd be more effective if he tried to be more physical upon zone entry. Man up early vs lay back. If you lay back you then need full battle quotient to finish the shift strong. I want to see step up / hit / steal attempts, success rates for D logged. Dammit. Whats his Corsi when he confronts the puck carrier immediately.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
He's been on the ice for a lot of goals against already. But the whole team looks completely lost and ineffective in the D Zone, so it's hard to single him out.

That's what happen when you have to play the game on Hard Mode with 44.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hasn't he been playing on his off side? He doesn't look comfortable yet. Has shown signs of decent hands but overall, defensively, not much of a factor.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hasn't he been playing on his off side? He doesn't look comfortable yet. Has shown signs of decent hands but overall, defensively, not much of a factor.

He's 3LD for next season maybe. I don't consider him more than placeholder for LuJo. All hail the LuJo.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So far so good. He's better than Orpik for sure, but our coach is stubborn and won't sit Orpik. I agree with @JohnCarlsaurus, he's not that great defensively but I see in him a good transition D that could help in the scoring department as well.
He us a better puck mover than Orpik. But the rest of his game isn't looking very good. He is weak in the defensive zone. This aquistion did nothing to help our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad