Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny to capitals for a 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He CAN be better than Bowey/Chorney but, I mean, he also lost games to the likes of Oesterle and other no names in Chicago so...who knows? Why didn't Quenneville trust him and roll with him on a blueline that's really lacked depth recently?

Orpik/Djoos could work but I'd have liked to have seen more than 15 minutes of it before believing it's viable. They may not be done changing things up but could also be in danger of overreacting and only prolonging or creating other issues due to unfamiliarity and lack of established rhythm.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's a lefty defenseman. Who do you think is most likely to be impacted?

Spending a third round pick to push the prospect out of the lineup that they've invested the season in already is typical Caps squirminess. I get the defense hasn't been good but so much of it has been structural. Maybe Kempny is slightly better right now it's not going to matter much if the third pair is a tire fire. Maybe they do have other moves pending but you can't really count on it.

My point was, why jump to assume Djoos is out, just so you can find an angle to criticize?

Seems obvious Orpik should be on notice and everyone should be aware Management has let them play for it long enough.

If he proves even a marginal upgrade over our existing D, for a 3rd...it’s a fine and reasonable price. How many 3rd have the Caps hit home runs on in the past 20 years? I’ll wager few.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He CAN be better than Bowey/Chorney but, I mean, he also lost games to the likes of Oesterle and other no names in Chicago so...who knows? Why didn't Quenneville trust him and roll with him on a blueline that's really lacked depth recently?

Orpik/Djoos could work but I'd have liked to have seen more than 15 minutes of it before believing it's viable. They may not be done changing things up but could also be in danger of overreacting and only prolonging or creating other issues due to unfamiliarity and lack of established rhythm.

JQ is a proven coach but something is obviously off in Chi-town this year so who knows

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They either spent a 3rd round pick to upgrade the #7D or to push Djoos out of the line-up. I'm not happy with either of those scenarios.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
My point was, why jump to assume Djoos is out, just so you can find an angle to criticize?

Seems obvious Orpik should be on notice and everyone should be aware Management has let them play for it long enough.

If he proves even a marginal upgrade over our existing D, for a 3rd...it’s a fine and reasonable price. How many 3rd have the Caps hit home runs on in the past 20 years? I’ll wager few.
Is he going to be an upgrade?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Reeks of a 7/8 - I will be pissed if the takes NHL development time from Bowey and Djoos. Does he play RD effectively, heck either side effectively? A 3rd sounds a bit steep.

He doesn't have enough fights logged to be our recent typical vet tough LD deadline add....

Michal Kempny Fights

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I did say IF and it's a legit question. Like I said, Orpik/Djoos has had a decent run in 15 minutes but who knows if that works or not. Who knows whether Djoos can play that Schmidt role on the third pair.

A marginal upgrade for a third rounder is still an overpayment all things considered regardless of what their draft history in the past may be. You'd think given the acquisition cost that they must think there's something there and believe maybe he won't just be a rental. Or, equally possible, is they're just desperate to shake it up and the cap hit worked for them.

If this paves the way for Orpik to be jettisoned that's one thing but they're also likely going to have to pay up in some regard to make that happen.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
He is a left handed shot right? I know we aren't in the Adam Oates world of players that HAVE to play on their natural side... but that seems to be the way they work it most nights. Now the caps are loaded with LHDmen. Orlov, Orpik, Djoos, Kempny and Chorney... Are one of those on the move? or they going to convert on to Right?

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Funny....the way he’s crapped on here, you would think any upgrade pushing Orpik to the bench would be seen as much more than marginal.

The assumption that Djoos is going to sit seems like overreaction to me. Djoos has done nothing to even warrant considering it IMO. I am concerned he’s going to get beat up when the physicality ramps up in the postseason though for sure, so this is another layer of coverage for that too.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If I’m GMBM I’m hoping this guy can play Orpik to the bench (best case), then move Orpik to a bad team in the summer.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Funny....the way he’s crapped on here, you would think any upgrade pushing Orpik to the bench would be seen as much more than marginal.
I think the assumption is that it's never going to happen or at least that this move does very little in positioning them toward it. Orpik will remain a key PKer, if nothing else.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Based on what Brian said last summer, there is no way Kemp replaces Orpik in our daily lineup. Barry loves him vet D > Greenhorny D.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Overpaid to be honest but if this move gets them away from Orpik-Bowey -pairing, it could still save the season. That pairing was that bad.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
#6 Kempny Johan.... never mind

I think he is a likely replacement for Chorney, who is bumped to #8.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Bowey 7D and Orpik-Kempny as 3rd pair?

+13 this year for a bad Chicago team, it's good.

overpaid but on the other side it's a 3rd round pick, who cares about 3rd+ rounders ?

Reactions: Sam Spade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad