Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny to capitals for a 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Last time a Norris was on the market was Pronger. We were in on him but the price looked like JC, Varly, and a boat load of draft picks.
At that time I thought it was a bad deal. But the current window is over soon and then it's starting from ground zero. So go get the D Man we never had.

I wish we would not have traded Subban :(

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
How much do you think he'd cost to sign? He'd be good to keep with Carlson for next year, and perhaps to replace Orpik the year after.

Reading his comments in the WP recently, he seems like another of those players who feels like they belong with and fit in Washington in a way they didn't in their previous team. Eller has said very similar things recently, and WP seemed to suggest that was one of the reasons he signed here rather than test UFA. This gives me hope we might be able to keep Kempny without having to overpay.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He is not that scrappy. See the look 0n his face after he crosschecked that guy in the neck. That was a total oops job. No intent at all.

Welp that sucks, so lets sign and trade his ass! I kid.

Maybe he knows that is the best way to get out of a major or a match. When Willy had a run in with Vasil, you could hear him saying I didn't hit him. You have to play the accident / innocent victim card. Kempsee certainly plays a little scrappier than I was expecting. He seems to log a lot of TOI and hopefully will go down as our best deadline add ever.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Welp that sucks, so lets sign and trade his ass! I kid.

Maybe he knows that is the best way to get out of a major or a match. When Willy had a run in with Vasil, you could hear him saying I didn't hit him. You have to play the accident / innocent victim card. Kempsee certainly plays a little scrappier than I was expecting. He seems to log a lot of TOI and hopefully will go down as our best deadline add ever.

Wilson hit Vasi because he didn't give up on the scoring chance after Kunitz hooked him off balance. Yea, he said he didn't hit him, but he did.

Lots of TOI?? RH, what are you looking at? 2, 9, and 74 are averaging 26+ per game. Kempney is averaging about 17:30. Is that your idea of lots of TOI? He averages exactly the same TOI/game that Orpik does.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Wilson hit Vasi because he didn't give up on the scoring chance after Kunitz hooked him off balance. Yea, he said he didn't hit him, but he did.

Lots of TOI?? RH, what are you looking at? 2, 9, and 74 are averaging 26+ per game. Kempney is averaging about 17:30. Is that your idea of lots of TOI? He averages exactly the same TOI/game that Orpik does.
No special teams time is part of that.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
understood. he must be judged as limited in something so that he gets no pk time. The Caps have this odd top 3/bottom 3 defense lineup that ive not noticed another team using.
Caps use 4 D for PK: Orlov, Nisky, Carlson and Orpik. He is the guy that subs in if any of those are in the box or hurt.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps use 4 D for PK: Orlov, Nisky, Carlson and Orpik. He is the guy that subs in if any of those are in the box or hurt.

Yes...I know. Kempney gets more even strength shifts and Orpik gets 3rd pair even strength and primary pk minutes. Just saying that Niskanen, Orlov and Carlson get 24-26 mins. Kempney and Orpik get 17 and Djoos gets around 12. Ive never seen another team breakdown their toi like that

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Yes...I know. Kempney gets more even strength shifts and Orpik gets 3rd pair even strength and primary pk minutes. Just saying that Niskanen, Orlov and Carlson get 24-26 mins. Kempney and Orpik get 17 and Djoos gets around 12. Ive never seen another team breakdown their toi like that

Yeah its a nice boon to have your top PP and PK defenseman not to have to play top pairing shutdown minutes as well at 5v5.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
understood. he must be judged as limited in something so that he gets no pk time. The Caps have this odd top 3/bottom 3 defense lineup that ive not noticed another team using.

Maybe they're conserving him for even strength.

Doesn't make sense to have your mobile transition defenseman standing around blocking shots/clearing the crease and risk getting Backstrom'd.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
GMBM's dumpster dives > GMGM's
Meh. Both have their gems and their turds.

GMBM got Kempny at the deadline, but he also got Glencross, Jerabek, Weber, and Gleason.
GMGM had outright failures like Penner and Halak, but also some moderately successful grabs like Arnott, Wideman, and Belanger and a couple outright gems in Huet, Chimera, and Fedorov. Plus there was the Pettinger for Cooke trade. As much as I absolutely loathe Cooke and hated him even as a Capital, he was also obviously a very clear upgrade over Matt Pettinger.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Meh. Both have their gems and their turds.

GMBM got Kempny at the deadline, but he also got Glencross, Jerabek, Weber, and Gleason.
GMGM had outright failures like Penner and Halak, but also some moderately successful grabs like Arnott, Wideman, and Belanger and a couple outright gems in Huet, Chimera, and Fedorov. Plus there was the Pettinger for Cooke trade. As much as I absolutely loathe Cooke and hated him even as a Capital, he was also obviously a very clear upgrade over Matt Pettinger.

It's important to look at how they're trending, though, in my opinion.

GMGM would go from looking like he'd learned his lesson, to Dustin Penner-ing.

GMBM, at least for the time being, looks like he's abandoned trying to "get what's left" out of names you already know, and begun trying to locate players lacking opportunities to flourish. Even if Jerabek is ultimately a dud, at least he's a dud in that vein, rather than some old schmuck whose name was worth more than his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad