Confirmed with Link: Michael McNiven traded to Flames for future considerations

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does our new GM team know there are 28 other teams we can make trades with?

Twas tongue in cheek obviously, but a good return is a good return, no matter where it comes from.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Twas tongue in cheek obviously, but a good return is a good return, no matter where it comes from.

Those futures tho.... was McNiven that bad? haven't followed him

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Looking at our Goalie depth chart:
  • Price
  • Allen
  • Montembeault
  • Hammond
  • Primeau
  • Poulin
and the fact that McNiven had the option to block a move to the ECHL because he's no longer on his entry level contract would have meant a pretty busy crease in Laval especially if Allen/Price get healthy.

Plus Prospects
All 3 prospects are having solid seasons and I imagine have passed McNiven in value within the organization

I'm also guessing there might be a few NCAA goalies who are wrapping up their seasons that Montreal might have interest in signing.

Makes sense to dump the contract and give us flexibility approaching the deadline

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

... Well, the free contract spot at this point is probably worth more than whatever we could realistically get for McNiven.

Reactions: Habs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Sry, was referring to a Chiarot move. From what I’ve been reading in here, McNiven’s contract room was more valuable than McNiven. He’s the proverbial mediocre depth guy. Nothing to see here.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
More timing. Every time he needed playing time the habs had someone else who needed ice time and gave it to the other guy. The habs should have started the ECHL team years ago. Every time he was on a hot streak he had to sit on the bench for 3 weeks. He's not playing well now, but he wasn't given the opportunity that was given to the other guys who have all busted now, with the possible exception of Primeau.

Its not timing when hes never really played well as a pro. Yeah he had good games here and there but nothing has ever been sustained.

Its pro hockey... and he never earned ice time.

Reactions: Frank JT

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

GAA over 4... 869 save percentage in the AHL this year.

He wasnt getting a qualifying offer this summer.

Clearing his contract is honestly the best the team could do.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Good point - he's signed by Laval not Montreal. I'm guessing it would be easy to add him and could happen the way he's playing

Hes 31 and Allen is coming back soon. Dont see him getting an NHL look. Not worth the contract slot when you can use it for someone younger.

Poulin is fine to stay in the AHL on an AHL contract.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Its not timing when hes never really played well as a pro. Yeah he had good games here and there but nothing has ever been sustained.

Its pro hockey... and he never earned ice time.

My memory is pretty bad, so I may be way off, but I remember it differently. The last year or two he hasn't been great but a while back he had stretches where he outplayed the other goalies, but the other guys, now gone, got the ice time. Not crazy decisions or anything, but the other guys didn't make it, so it's harder to justify punting his development. It's not like he should have played over the other guys, at least not most of the time, but he should have been playing in the ECHL or something instead of getting a game every 3 weeks as the third goalie.

Too late now. I saw some of his games the last year or two and where he used to be focused under pressure he just doesn't seem to be able to make the stop when it's needed anymore. Could just be the small subset of games I saw, too. Unlikely he would have made it but being sat whenever he played well really forced it.

Reactions: themilosh

WhoAreYou99

Oct 14, 2021
A backup AHLer who people barely care about gets traded, and people in the Montreal forums on HFboards are okay with it?

What's happened to this forum since the Brandon Baddock trade?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
What is future considerations? What is the timeline? Is it sure we gonna get something later? I mean, i don’t remember a team received a pick like one year after the trade be made. Im just wondering what is those « future consideration » concretely?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Went to the Calgary board to see what they thought of the trade... found no mention of it. Poor McNiven.

I’m the one who posted it there when it broke. It’s in their Stockton AHL thread. They’re at a loss as to why he was acquired.

Reactions: Habs13

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
So why not just call it a Free Transfer (á la Football here in Blighty) and have done with it?

Because a free transfer is different. A free transfer is the same as signing a UFA.

The transfer is free because the players contract expired.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
What is future considerations? What is the timeline? Is it sure we gonna get something later? I mean, i don’t remember a team received a pick like one year after the trade be made. Im just wondering what is those « future consideration » concretely?
I had the same question. Does 'Future Consideration' means a 7th round pick at some point?

Reactions: Hins77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Basically a future consideration means the teams are not sure what is the value of the trade so they agree to decide later on (or they want to decide later on for other reasons). I think the Rob Blake deal had future considerations and/or players to be named later that eventually became a good return.

But very often it's going to be a 7th round pick or an AHL player. Basically KH probably wanted to free a contract spot and preferred to have the player named later when he wont need contract spot. Unless McNiven develops into a number 1 next year it will be a AHL player when KH will need one to fix some AHL depth problem.

Reactions: JustAHabFan

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Looking at our Goalie depth chart:
  • Price
  • Allen
  • Montembeault
  • Hammond
  • Primeau
  • Poulin
and the fact that McNiven had the option to block a move to the ECHL because he's no longer on his entry level contract would have meant a pretty busy crease in Laval especially if Allen/Price get healthy.

Plus Prospects
All 3 prospects are having solid seasons and I imagine have passed McNiven in value within the organization

I'm also guessing there might be a few NCAA goalies who are wrapping up their seasons that Montreal might have interest in signing.

Makes sense to dump the contract and give us flexibility approaching the deadline
You're counting Price?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad