Confirmed with Link: Michael McNiven traded to Flames for future considerations

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I want to see somebody trade future considerations for future considerations... just because... would be funny as balls.

We did over a decade ago. In the Sergei Kostitsyn trade to Nashville we included a future consideration and Nashville included theirs.

Last edited:

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Frankly, it's more than future considerations. It,s present considerations. We are at 47 contracts. It could be huge.
Precisely. It was just a contract dump as McNiven was never going to play here regularly.Dime a dozen average goalie.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
BTW Nashville gave us a Vezina Throphy finalist in Devan Dubnyk for future consideration. Bergevin just never used him.

Last edited:
Reactions: expy

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
You wonder why we never got more for Peekay? Because we owe them future consideration. Smart move by Nashville screwing us over like that a few years later. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Frankly, it's more than future considerations. It,s present considerations. We are at 47 contracts. It could be huge.

First thing that came to my mind too. Down to 47 contracts and a move made right before the deadline. Interesting to look into. I am wondering if we are able to trade all of our UFA's?

We have to assume we are down to about 42-44 contracts with most of these guys traded?
Chiarot
Kulak
Paquette
Perreault
Dauphin (we probably keep him?)
Wideman

Additional context:
* I Assume we are signing Harris. Maybe even Stapley too?
* I wonder if Gorton/Hughes are worried about not being able to move Paquette, Perreault, Wideman?
* How many prospects are we acquiring from Chiarot and possibly Lehkonen?

Worse case, we are signing both Harris and Stapley and trading Chiarot, Kulak, and Lehkonen where we take back 2/3 guys with contracts. This is how I see it. Pro active thinking where we are not trying to screw ourselves from a deal we want to make

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol............if we get sodas for McNiven, then we definitely can get Subway coupons, for Drouin....

A free McNugget at McDonald's or upsize on the fries (your choice) :laugh:

giphy.gif

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Exactly, it’s a better return then a AHL player that we will never use and I don’t even think McNiven would have been the starter with the Lions (Desrosiers is better then him)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I was about to start a free McNiven movement....lol.

I mean, this guy might be nothing special, but the way he was treated by the organization was probably amongst the worst ever. Good job to this management to just give him to somebody else for a fresh new chance.

Hockeywise, in Laval, the best duo is Primeau-Poulin. Not even close.

.869 save percentage this season.
In the 890s for his AHL career
24 years old.

How did the organization mistreat him? By sending him to the ECHL? By not giving him playing time?

You earn your shot. And everytime he was given a chance he didnt earn more playing time.

I saw him at the rookie camp he impressed at. Even interviewed him. Nice guy. I hoped he would succeed.

He was a lottery ticket though and goalies are voodoo. Great in junior but he never developed as a pro, and at this point its time to cut bait. But I dont think he was ever mistreated.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
24 years old.

How did the organization mistreat him? By sending him to the ECHL? By not giving him playing time?

You earn your shot. And everytime he was given a chance he didnt earn more playing time.

I saw him at the rookie camp he impressed at. Even interviewed him. Nice guy. I hoped he would succeed.

He was a lottery ticket though and goalies are voodoo. Great in junior but he never developed as a pro, and at this point its time to cut bait. But I dont think he was ever mistreated.

He was definitely mistreated under Bergevin. They didn't communicate with him much at all (classic MB) and it was difficult for him to find playing time during the pandemic. He played for like 5 or 6 different teams in one year, barely getting much time or support at any and the organization really left him to his own devices too.

I don't think he was ever going to make anything of himself as a pro prospect but he was definitely mistreated by MB's team.

'I just want to play': Michael McNiven on frustration, lack of communication

Reactions: montreal

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
24 years old.

Exactly. He's not an NHL caliber goalie at this stage and probably will never be one.If he was good enough he would've playing with the habs.There are hundreds of goalies like McNiven in pro hockey. A C level goalie and a step below guys like Montembault,Lindgren and Poulin for example.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
24 years old.

More timing. Every time he needed playing time the habs had someone else who needed ice time and gave it to the other guy. The habs should have started the ECHL team years ago. Every time he was on a hot streak he had to sit on the bench for 3 weeks. He's not playing well now, but he wasn't given the opportunity that was given to the other guys who have all busted now, with the possible exception of Primeau.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
24 years old.

He had to rent ice with his own money to get practice time.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Exactly. He's not an NHL caliber goalie at this stage and probably will never be one.If he was good enough he would've playing with the habs.There are hundreds of goalies like McNiven in pro hockey. A C level goalie and a step below guys like Montembault,Lindgren and Poulin for example.
Goalies aren't just finished products as soon as you sign them, you need to develop them. This is the exact mindset that has plagued this organization for decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad