Confirmed with Link: Michael McNiven traded to Flames for future considerations

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I was about to start a free McNiven movement....lol.

I mean, this guy might be nothing special, but the way he was treated by the organization was probably amongst the worst ever. Good job to this management to just give him to somebody else for a fresh new chance.

Hockeywise, in Laval, the best duo is Primeau-Poulin. Not even close.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Hope he gets more of a shot in the Flames organization. Even if he just ends up as an AHL starter who gets a few NHL games in here and there.

I don't see him getting many games though with Wolf's dominance in the AHL and Markstrom's dominance in the NHL

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Poulin completely surpassed him for the Laval job with Primeau. Poulin was named AHL goalie of the month for February.

McNiven struggled this year. I believe he got pulled every time he started. He's better than what he's shown this year.

Good luck to him. He'll be in sunny California with the Flames' AHL affiliate in Stockton.

And getting nothing back frees up a contract spot. So that benefits the Habs.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Poulin's play made him expendable. Wish him luck though as he was a consummate professional getting bounced around between the AHL and ECHL the last couple years despite playing better than Lindgren.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Next trade: Chiarot to Calgary for their 2023 first, top 10 protected and a 3rd rounder.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
With Allen coming back, it was getting crowded...but free up a contract spot which is good, could help at TDL.
And what the hell is future consideration anyway?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Good luck Mcniven! Hopefully, he gets back on track.

With Allen coming back, it was getting crowded...but free up a contract spot which is good, could help at TDL.
And what the hell is future consideration anyway?

It's basically a "I owe you". It can translate into nothing, or it can be not claiming a player when he's put on waiver, or it's part of a future/past deal (like the Hutton to Toronto trade). Sometimes it's also when you want to trade a player on a NHL contract for a guy on a AHL contract.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
He hasn't really deserved much better.

Frees up a contract spot to sign Zigmund Palffy.

Yeah, it's not like he's played himself into a spot. That contract spot is great though! Allows us to bring in a signed prospect in a deal and still have a little cushion. Otherwise, it's pretty restricted to reserve list guys.

I hate to break this to you... but Pallfy may be outside of our competitive window.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad