Rumor: Michael Frolik has Habs listed as top destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Sorry but adding another guy like Frolik is not going to help us now...or in the future.
I will give you a example...if MTL gets a power play and MT has a choice between Frolik and Getto....who do you think gets to play???

I don't understand your thinking..
Therrien would play the guy that has the most chance to get us a goal.

I don't get the sudden love to go with young player that still have lots to learn and improve. Look at Detroit and their player development (Nyqvist and Tatar) and they had to spent some significant time in the ahl before getting a full-time call-up.
This is the NHL, the most competitive league in the world. You cannot hand-out top line playing time you have to earn it. If Andrighetto or Hudson can earn their place with the big club sure they will get ice time. People forget that all our top players from Plekanec to Pacioretty had to earn their playing time.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Exactly!!! "If Therrien refuses to play those guys than that's an entirely different issue"
That is the problem.
Every year MB goes and gets older vets for MT
MB keeps protecting MT with veterans that are not creative and make simple plays.
MT is happy because he wins.....
But it is up to MB to shake MT out of his safe player zone.
Having safe veteran players is good....but nothing very creative...NO?
MT wants to win by playing safe. But to win a cup you have to gamble at some point. The only gamble I can see is MB not allowing MT to have all these proven players.
By signing more players it allows MT to continue to play it safe. If MT really wants to win a cup he needs to allow his young players to be creative.
But if MB keeps signing these guys MT doesn't need to play the rookies(and we know he won't unless he has no choice). Sure they will call them up for 4-5 games and play on the 3-4th lines....this makes MT happy because it SAFE

If our young players were truly given a chance with MT, I really wouldn't have a problem with Frolik.
But the reality is our young guns need to play more then a few games here and there.
And yes signing guys like Frolick will prevent them from playing because of MT attitude "I want to win every game" (which is not a bad attitude to have when your young....but MT is getting older and that only means being MORE SAFE)
No gamble!!!
NO CUP

Umm...if we are gambling on our current prospects (Hudon, Ghetto...), then I think the most likely case is that we are on the losing side...I highly doubt they are good enough to make us contenders (not that Frolik is either).
And Frolik isn't some OLD aging, declining vet. The guy is 27. One year older than Subban and Eller. He's starting his prime now and can be instantly be slotted into our top 6. He's not a scrub. If you are gambling that Hudon, Ghetto, and the like will do better (or even come close) to Frolik then you will most likely lose...and lose big. Getting 25 pts would be a stretch for those guys, let alone getting 45pts like Frolik did in his rookie year.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Sorry but adding another guy like Frolik is not going to help us now...or in the future.
I will give you a example...if MTL gets a power play and MT has a choice between Frolik and Getto....who do you think gets to play???

Frolik...as he should. Frankly, the odds are with Frolik to score a goal compared to Ghetto. Oh hell, Frolik has the possibility to score more goals than Ghetto pts.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I'm more inclined to look at Vermette over Frolik.
Our biggest need is center and Frolik isn't it.
Also, trading any of Emelin, DD, Eller, Gilbert for picks or younger, cheaper players will give cap relief.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Also, trading any of Emelin, DD, Eller, Gilbert for picks or younger, cheaper players will give cap relief.
Our biggest need is actually a RW. Or a LW if Galchenyuk moves to center.

We do need a #1 centre... but we don't need yet another middle-6 centre. We have three already.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

We do need a #1 centre... but we don't need yet another middle-6 centre. We have three already.

LOL at Plekanec described as middle-six center. Dude got 60 points for the third time in his career despite having the best LW less than 20% of the time during the RS, and despite playing PK for some of his minutes and in a system that favours D first.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
LOL at Plekanec described as middle-six center. Dude got 60 points for the third time in his career despite having the best LW less than 20% of the time during the RS, and despite playing PK for some of his minutes and in a system that favours D first.

Middle six includes #2. He's a great #2 but not really a #1. We either hope Chucky develops into one or we try and acquire one (good luck). The point is Vermette is middle six center so doesn't help us much, especially when our screaming need is on RW.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
4x4 would probably be too good to be true, 4,5x5 is somewhat reasonable I think.

I'm scared just to think Beleskey and MSL are out there waiting, I don't think Bergy will want to sign MSL after the Briere/PaP failure but Beleskey....

Scared of MSL. The guy is 40 years old, he signs one year deals and still scores 20 goals. The only thing that should scare you about Martin St Louis is his gigantic thighs crushing your head like a walnut.

The Habs best chance of adding a 20 goal scorer to offer some tiny help Pacioretty's one man forward show is through MSL.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Eller, DD, Plekanec will be our top 3 C next season, wether we like it or not.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Scared of MSL. The guy is 40 years old, he signs one year deals and still scores 20 goals. The only thing that should scare you about Martin St Louis is his gigantic thighs crushing your head like a walnut.

The Habs best chance of adding a 20 goal scorer to offer some tiny help Pacioretty's one man forward show is through MSL.

If we have to pick I'd rather get Frolik but I'd sign MSL to a cheap 1-yr contract

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Yes let's sign Martin St Louis.

Because signing veteran French players miles after their prime has been proven to be an effective strategy for the team.

Forget the affirmative action and just get rid of Desharnais, play Galchenyuk at center, trade Gilbert for picks, play Tinordi and Pateryn, and sign some UFA talent.

And enough with the aging NHL old timers token French signings. Just win with the best players you can get.

Alex514

May 10, 2015

Frolik can play at the C position.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I would hope Frolik.

I'm not sure what you think this example is illustrating.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don't think we need a centre at all... Put Galchenyuk in the top spot and focus on getting help on the wings. If we do that, I think we're set.

Emelin has to move on to make cap room. We need to find a trading partner who wants those big hits.

HabsChik*

LOL right back at you.

Yep then disappeared in the playoffs as usual. Trade the bum.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I love Pleks. The problem I have with him is that I don't feel he makes his linemates better, regardless of who he plays with.

I feel like Plekanec is going to get his 45-60 points, if he gets good ice-time - regardless of his linemates. That's why I see him as a #2. And an elite #2, actually.

And let's not act like Plekanec didn't have good wingers this year. Our most used like was Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher. And Gallagher had a better Even Strength production rate than Plekanec.

In fact, aside from Pacioretty... all of our Top-6 forwards (well 5, cause that's all we really have) produce very similar numbers at ES.

Plekanec ranked 3rd among our Top-6 forwards this season in production rate at ES. He ranks 4th over the past two seasons.

This season was Pacioretty, Gallagher, Plekanec, Desharnais, Galchenyuk. Over the past two seasons it goes Pacioretty, Gallagher, Desharnais, Plekanec, Galchenyuk.

But aside from Pacioretty... it's all really close.

As far as bringing up the PK... does that matter for Plekanec? Plekanec gets a lot of chances and points on the PK. In fact, his PK production rate would have been higher than his ES production rate if he scored one more SH point.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Eller, DD, Plekanec will be our top 3 C next season, wether we like it or not.
I really hope Galchenyuk gets a look in there - but really.. that's not that bad when you compare it to our wings. LW is alright because of Galchenyuk.. but if he moves over and Desharnais or Eller can't be effective there.. we're officially a one line team again because our LW depth would be... De La Rose? Or a rookie. And our RW depth would be Weise? Or a rookie.

Bergevin has a long way to go to make this team elite. He needs to improve our #1 centre position, but he needs to work on our wings and work on them fast.

I'm sorry but a line-up of;

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
De La Rose - Plekanec - Weise
Prust - Desharnais/Eller - Smith Pelly
Hudon - Mitchell - Bournival

Doesn't scream contender... or even playoffs to me.

PS. Yes, I'd put Hudon higher (likely beside Pleks).. but let's get real here. It's Michel Therrien. That's not saying he's an awful coach, but it is saying that most rookies need to win his trust/love first.

He's never played therr before. He's only been a RW in the nhl
He actually played C in Chicago when he first dealt there. But moved to wing the next season.

I don't think we need a centre at all... Put Galchenyuk in the top spot and focus on getting help on the wings. If we do that, I think we're set.

Emelin has to move on to make cap room. We need to find a trading partner who wants those big hits.
I agree Emelin has to move.

I truly believe that Pateryn can do the same at a fraction of the cost without getting caught out of position as much. Pateryn needs to play in 53(?) games this year to not become a UFA at season's end.

And we will also finally know if Tinordi is going to be a player in this league or not.

However, I'd imagine Bergevin will look to trade Gilbert first.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
How the hell did our depth on wing get so bad? :laugh: That's just sad.
It really is. I think that's part of the reason people are so open to moving Plekanec. Bring in a young Top-6 forward with potential for a team that wants basically a Ryan Kesler. The only issue is.. I don't want someone like Nick Bonino coming back. I think Bonino is a solid player, but I don't think he's quite at the level I'd want. Preferably a player under a reasonable contract for 2 years, so we don't have to worry about Sharp crippling us. And yes, acquire Sharp for picks/prospects.

And you team starts to look deeper. I know it's not that easy, but it's wishful thinking that isn't completely insane.

Losing Plekanec definitely hurts though as we go to banking on Galchenyuk because our other two centres are low tier #2's/solid #3's, IMO.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I know... But I seem to recall Paul Maurice asking him to play a limited role at C (maybe a few games?)

But, you're right!
Like I said above, that's false. He did play centre in Chicago, when he was first acquired, although not for very long as he was moved to wing almost exclusively the next season.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
It really is. I think that's part of the reason people are so open to moving Plekanec. Bring in a young Top-6 forward with potential for a team that wants basically a Ryan Kesler. The only issue is.. I don't want someone like Nick Bonino coming back. I think Bonino is a solid player, but I don't think he's quite at the level I'd want. Preferably a player under a reasonable contract for 2 years, so we don't have to worry about Sharp crippling us. And yes, acquire Sharp for picks/prospects.

And you team starts to look deeper. I know it's not that easy, but it's wishful thinking that isn't completely insane.

Losing Plekanec definitely hurts though as we go to banking on Galchenyuk because our other two centres are low tier #2's/solid #3's, IMO.

I would be okay with moving Plekanec for an upgrade on wing, IF we can sign a slightly cheaper #2a/b centre. Vermette ideally. Plekanec has value imo, and could return a young top 6 winger.....

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I would be okay with moving Plekanec for an upgrade on wing, IF we can sign a slightly cheaper #2a/b centre. Vermette ideally. Plekanec has value imo, and could return a young top 6 winger.....
I'm not sure Vermette gets less than Plekanec due to the cap being higher than when he signed.

Also, replacing Plekanec with a guy who only makes $1M less.. probably not going to help much.

We need to work on our wings (we need to let the young kids come in and play on the 3rd line, at least).. because as bad as people think our centre position is.. our wing position is god awful.

People hated Parenteau... and some are still crying because... that's just how bad it is.

The guy that needs to be replacing is Plekanec is... Eller. But because Therrien has never really given him any rope, no one knows if he can actually do it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig