Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That's incredibly bizarre because he's literally about 20th-best option available but is great news for Dipietro and his development and confidence to get that nod.

IKR?

Guy got cut from the World Juniors but will get to suit up a few months later at the World Champs.

Weird.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can DiPietro go the Utica next year to potentially replace Demko, or is he stuck in junior for another season?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was surprised to learn that DiPietro was voted the best puck-handling goalie in the OHL coaches poll...never saw much evidence of his puck-handling in the prospects tournament, but I'll defer to Windsor-watchers who might feel differently. Still kinda' shocked he got the call to be the third goalie in the WHC, but I suppose being third-string on a stacked team probably wasn't that attractive to some of the pro goalies whom they might have picked.

Still, even facing those premium shooters in practices will work wonders for DiPietro's development.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Was surprised to learn that DiPietro was voted the best puck-handling goalie in the OHL coaches poll...never saw much evidence of his puck-handling in the prospects tournament, but I'll defer to Windsor-watchers who might feel differently. Still kinda' shocked he got the call to be the third goalie in the WHC, but I suppose being third-string on a stacked team probably wasn't that attractive to some of the pro goalies whom they might have picked.

Still, even facing those premium shooters in practices will work wonders for DiPietro's development.
DiPietro is the youngest goalie since Sean Burke to make the Canadian WC team. Burke was 20 at the time, and DiPietro doesn't turn 19 for a month. It truly is a testimate to how good DiPietro played this year. My opinion he is the MOST underrated prospect out there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For all of the pratfalls in the draft by the Canucks chronicled over many decades, for some reason they seem to 'hit' with goalies more often than they 'miss'. In Demko and DiPietro, Canucks could be set at the toughest position to fill on an NHL team, for at least the next decade.

The number of decent NHL squads struggling with spotty goaltenders is hard to fathom. Not much wonder Leapin' Lou jumped at the chance to acquire Schneider in exchange for NJ's top-10 pick in 2013. Really doesn't matter how good your position players are, you can't win without top-drawer goaltending.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 19m19 minutes ago
Spitfires Michael DiPietro Named OHL Goaltender of the Year.

DcN560uXkAA0fkz.jpg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Our prospects have had good years. Feels weird saying that. Have we ever had so many individual accolades amongst our prospects? DiPietro, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette - have I missed any?

Edit - Palmu gets rookie of the year as well.
Yes, that's all you can expect out of your draft picks is that they keep on improving in their draft-plus one years. And that's the shocking thing about most of the Canuck prospects. Led by Pettersson, Lind and Dahlen, most of them improved by leaps and bounds. Even later picks like DiPietro, Palmu and Brassard showed a good upward trajectory. Then there's a guy like Gaudette who basically came out nowhere.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Our prospects have had good years. Feels weird saying that. Have we ever had so many individual accolades amongst our prospects? DiPietro, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette - have I missed any?

Not to mention Boeser graduated from prospect to NHL calder finalist :yo:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, feel safe in saying you'll never see the likes of a prospect pool like this again. MVP's in both the SHL and Allvenskan; Hobey Baker winner; rookie of the year in Finnish pro league; Goalie of the year in the OHL; an all-star selection in the KHL; and a finalist for the Calder at the NHL level. And while Demko didn't win any individual awards, he basically carried the Comets on his back.

Given the sorry history of the Canucks prospect pool over the years, it's kind of mind-boggling really.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd be trying to sell high and use him as a trade chip right now.

Good junior goalie but 6'0 starting goalies basically don't exist in 2018.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I really don't see how we would get good value in this situation. The market for established goalies already sucks as is, it's probably significantly worse for prospect goalies and I can't remember the last prospect goalie that was the centerpiece of a trade.

He's a fine player but I always maintained that we could've done something better with this pick. Demko is clearly a far better prospect.

If we can get decent enough value, I'd gladly dump him, but I have my doubts.

Reactions: Intoewsables

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I really don't see how we would get good value in this situation. The market for established goalies already sucks as is, it's probably significantly worse for prospect goalies and I can't remember the last prospect goalie that was the centerpiece of a trade.

He's a fine player but I always maintained that we could've done something better with this pick. Demko is clearly a far better prospect.

If we can get decent enough value, I'd gladly dump him, but I have my doubts.

I agree that even now his value isn’t high enough to profit enough for it to be worth it. No one is going to give much for a shorter goalie after one great junior season. But if he keeps performing and stands out in the AHL or as a backup in the NHL, we might be able to get Talbot it Jones type value. That’s if Demko is as good as we all expect him to be.

I disagree though about whether he should have been picked. I thought it was good value in the third round, with his talent, if he was a couple of inches taller he would have been gone by then so is worth the gamble.

Demko is great, but we have nothing other than DiPietro in the pipeline, and stuff happens, injuries, “goalies are voodoo” and all that. I think drafting a goalie at least every other year in the lower rounds with an occasional mid round pick pretty sensible strategy to keep depth at the most important position.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
really? a bad pick? I agree with Shott, the organization should always have a goalie prospect or two in the pipeline. The best tenders almost never get traded, the only way you get them is through the draft. A third round pick for dipietro was a really good value pick. He will graduate to the AHL soon and replace demko as he hits the NHL. perfect timing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
YEAH was a great pick got no idea what people are whining about. Couldnt ask for a better season from him

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I'd be trying to sell high and use him as a trade chip right now.

Good junior goalie but 6'0 starting goalies basically don't exist in 2018.

If not you hope he turns into a solid backup a la Juuse Saros? There isn’t a lot of sub 6’2 goalies anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad