Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree to a certain extent, but I think there's something to be said about it being his first ever NHL game. When you do something important for the first time in your life, it is a memorable experience, for better or worse. That experience will stick with him for a long time. It's mainly the way that game unfolded, though. San Jose dominated right out of the gate and at no point in time did we ever have a chance at winning that game. The team basically gave up on DiPietro from the start (not in terms of 'mailing it in', but because of the mismatch in quality of teams because Wilson built a contender and Benning built a bottom feeder with no goalie depth to account for the situation).

So your point is what? That Dipietro is going to have an unpleasant memory of his first NHL game?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I've said before, if Dipietro's development is affected by that one game with the Canucks when he wasn't NHL ready and wasn't expected to be NHL ready then he's unlikely to amount to anything in the NHL. Mental toughness and ability to bounce back after a bad goal or bad game is of utmost importance for a goaltender.
Silly to draw the line there. If they can make it to the NHL in the first place, they needed an enormous amount of mental toughness to get there in the first place.

You are basically saying you can't ruin a goalie by rushing them because if they bust after being rushed, they just weren't strong enough to begin with. Sure, you'll never be proven wrong because it's an unfalsifiable statement, but it's also a ridiculous position. What overwhelms someone at 19 is unlikely to overwhelm them several years later. The Oilers use the same logic to claim that their 3 first overalls in a row were all just unluckily underwhelming for first overalls and definitely weren't rushed, ruined or capped before they hit their potential.

I think whenever you pull a clown move like this organization did with a 19 year old goaltender, you are rolling the dice on whether you ruin your own prospect. Glad it looks like he moved past it without being bothered. I also don't think that was a guarantee.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Silly to draw the line there. If they can make it to the NHL in the first place, they needed an enormous amount of mental toughness to get there in the first place.

You are basically saying you can't ruin a goalie by rushing them because if they bust after being rushed, they just weren't strong enough to begin with. Sure, you'll never be proven wrong because it's an unfalsifiable statement, but it's also a ridiculous position. What overwhelms someone at 19 is unlikely to overwhelm them several years later. The Oilers use the same logic to claim that their 3 first overalls in a row were all just unluckily underwhelming for first overalls and definitely weren't rushed, ruined or capped before they hit their potential.

I think whenever you pull a clown move like this organization did with a 19 year old goaltender, you are rolling the dice on whether you ruin your own prospect. Glad it looks like he moved past it without being bothered. I also don't think that was a guarantee.

It's one game. Not an entire season. Whether the Oilers rushed their 1st overall picks is debatable. Who was the last 1st overall pick who didn't play in the NHL at age 18? Erik Johnson? The least NHL-ready 1st overall pick in recent memory was probably Stamkos.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
It's one game. Not an entire season. Whether the Oilers rushed their 1st overall picks is debatable. Who was the last 1st overall pick who didn't play in the NHL at age 18? Erik Johnson? The least NHL-ready 1st overall pick in recent memory was probably Stamkos.
Who was the last non-Oilers 1st overall that was rushed into immediate top line minutes, top unit powerplay, top usage all around and expected to save the entire franchise from itself?

Also who was the last non-Oilers 1st overall that walked into a country club atmosphere where the team was designed and built to fail and the vets didn't care one bit what happened?

Even the 1st overalls were developed. There's a reason the Oilers 1st overalls rookie seasons were their best seasons, that place was a development black hole. Development isn't just what league they're in.

The closest comparable off the top of my head is what Jack Eichel walked into and he sure looks like he was stifled too.

Kind of off the topic now, but related to DiPietro, the Penguins did the exact same thing to one of their young goalies years ago, let him get shellacked to give Fleury a day off and he didn't come back from it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Who was the last non-Oilers 1st overall that was rushed into immediate top line minutes, top unit powerplay, top usage all around and expected to save the entire franchise from itself?

Also who was the last non-Oilers 1st overall that walked into a country club atmosphere where the team was designed and built to fail and the vets didn't care one bit what happened?

Even the 1st overalls were developed. There's a reason the Oilers 1st overalls rookie seasons were their best seasons, that place was a development black hole. Development isn't just what league they're in.

The closest comparable off the top of my head is what Jack Eichel walked into and he sure looks like he was stifled too.

So according to the bolded the problem isn't that they were rushed.

Kind of off the topic now, but related to DiPietro, the Penguins did the exact same thing to one of their young goalies years ago, let him get shellacked to give Fleury a day off and he didn't come back from it.

Who is the goaltender you speak of?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad