Prospect Info: Michael DiPietro (Mikey)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He beat the ever loving Be-Jesus out of a dumb Swedish goaltender and then gave up a bunch of laughers?

I love Cloutier, one of my favorite players of all time... but is that a good thing to be compared to him?

No!

I fell in love with Clouts during WJC as (as often happens to me, see Eric Gudbranson) and kept telling people he would turn it around and reach the next level. He never did, and I looked like an idiot for saying so for so many years.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Solid start to the season.
1.64 GAA
0.949 SV%
9 GP

They were outshot 40-11 tonight

Best Goalie in the entire CHL
Great Value in this pick.

I really need to watch a game. Problem is he can put up numbers with the same flaws in his game we saw in the two camps this off-season. But overall they look better so maybe he has refined his game even more.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
As promised, here are some poor-quality stills and video from Michael DiPietro's visit to Ottawa today with the Windsor Spitfires to play the 67s. Windsor went down 2-0 very early (slow starter? You'll fit right in, Mike!) but clawed back, took a 3-2 lead, had a 4-2 goal disallowed as a high-stick, blew their lead, then won it 4-3 in overtime on a contested goal.

My seats were at the end that Ottawa defended twice, so unfortunately I only got a really good look at our future-future goalkeeper (or, more likely, our future throw-in in some trade once Demko is established enough) during the second period. And even though DiPietro's best stop of the game came at my end, well, I'll explain below.

With size the supposed concern around DiPietro, you can see he's not really all that small in the net:

13887B2B-961D-48A1-93C2-779BEDB36CA2_zpsghsqfuio.jpg

E1780FEB-07E4-49F4-9170-EBB09B1C4095_zpspnf3vmek.jpg

Now there is a 6'8" centerman (Curtis Douglas) and 6'7" defender (Lev Starikov) on Windsor, so I suppose everything is relative. I mean, look at this guy, it's like he's on stilts:

90555FFF-D30D-4013-93AD-865BCF788485_zpse2jug4rg.jpg

I saw Douglas (above) in plainclothes after the game as a number of Spitfires came out to talk to friends and family, and without equipment you realize just how much these guys are still boys... on the ice he looked like a behemoth, but in a hoodie and sweatpants he looked like the teenager he still is:

douglas2_zpsloerl71m.png

Also, 6'6" Senator draft pick Logan Brown did not play in anticipation of a trade to Kitchener that went down a few hours after the game.

Anyhow, as mentioned, Ottawa went up 2-0 quickly – we weren't even in our seats yet for the first one – and one had to wonder if it might be a long afternoon for Mr. DiPietro:

6DA9426B-74E5-40D2-A064-D869AA672C10_zpslsuzzscp.jpg

But he kept his cool, and had a solid game overall.

IMG_E0765_zps9yd9yfyn.gif

IMG_E0766_zpsxnyy3cor.gif

His best chance happened right in front of me, but I was in the middle of deleting useless video off my phone, so while I watched in happen in real time, the best recording I could get was off the replay screen. Windsor was shorthanded, and the 67s burst in 2-on-0:

Or with a bit of slo-mo by the replay guys:

He was by no means perfect, and bit pretty hard here:

Ottawa's goalie, well, he did not keep his cool... I know nothing about Olivier Tremblay except that he was playing in the QMJHL before this season (I didn't know guys ever switched leagues!) and appears to be a hot-head. At one point, a charging Spitfire was tripped up and smashed into the net. And rather than lending a helping hand, Mr. Tremblay did this:

IMG_E0802_zpsvqsroslk.gif

The winning goal in OT came off a scramble out front – it was eventually reviewed (I believe for offside rather than goalie interference) and stood:

IMG_0794 - Streamable

After that goal, the 67 goalkeeper Tremblay fired the puck into the corner in anger, possibly feeling he was interfered with. Meanwhile, the Spitfires swarmed their goalkeeper:

C4858B02-61D7-4189-99ED-80AC3A95546D_zpsduaqjxvi.jpg

Unfortunately DiPietro did not appear to be one of the players who came out to mingle after the game, so I didn't get a chance to wish him well or anything.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After a season of watching the Canucks' twin-tower goaltenders open up more holes in their equipment than Swiss cheese, I'm ready for an athletic goaltender like DiPietro who can read the play and make himself much bigger in the net that his 6' frame would suggest. Can see the day when Demko and DiPietro are 1-2 in the Canuck rotation, and some of those ugly, backbreaking early goals are only a distant memory.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
After a season of watching the Canucks' twin-tower goaltenders open up more holes in their equipment than Swiss cheese, I'm ready for an athletic goaltender like DiPietro who can read the play and make himself much bigger in the net that his 6' frame would suggest. Can see the day when Demko and DiPietro are 1-2 in the Canuck rotation, and some of those ugly, backbreaking early goals are only a distant memory.

Except he's even more out of control than some here claim Marky is.

I am big on Dipietro but seeing him in person he still has a lot of work to do. I've seen him get picked apart at times when he isn't toeing the line between being "athletic" and being technical.

As I've said before, Demko is Marky. I don't know why you guys think you can get tall goalies who don't open holes. That's the whole tradeoff - smaller goalies cover less net overall but are more compact. Larger goalies cover more net but their long limbs make it harder for them to close off everything from the ice up.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Sportsnet 650‏Verified account @Sportsnet650 4m4 minutes ago

Sean Burke - "The third goalie spot is a tough spot to fill. We needed to find someone (Dipietro) that was comfortable in that role. Mike is good enough to play in the chance we need to call upon him."

Which means that they don't plan on using their third goalie much at all. Probably didn't want to bring on an NHL goalie for that spot because they didn't want to waste that goalie's time watching from the pressbox.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Sportsnet 650‏Verified account @Sportsnet650 6h6 hours ago
Michael DiPietro is getting the call to Team Canada for the World Hockey Championships! First he gets a call from #ThePlaybook @SatiarShah @jawnjang now!

DiPietro:
"A lot a nerves but lots of excitement to get there and soak in the experience. Definitely a surprise for me, my GM called me earlier in the week to ask me if I was skating and it snowballed from there."

"Was never really about the individual accomplishments this year. To be around the team atmosphere with Canada is an opportunity I'm really eager for."

"Things come full circle, to be cut from the JR team and now to be invited to this team. It was a tough pill to swallow but getting this opportunity now - words can't describe how happy I am."

"I was asked a lot of questions asked about my height last year heading into the draft, I was really lucky to have a team like Vancouver draft me that believes in me."

"Obviously Boeser had a great season & Pettersson as well. Saw some guys get called up to NHL too. Exciting time to be there and with the legacy the Sedins left its something all us prospects can look up to. Very proud to be a Canuck."

"You can feel something special is going on in Vancouver right now," says the goalie just named to Team Canada for the world championships.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....this comes out of left field....was a late cut from the World Junior Team but picked for the IIHF world championships....testament to how strong a season he's had in the OHL....joins Horvat, Pettersson and maybe Juiolevi....will definitely be following the WHC now.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Another point that I missed that D Dreger brought up on 1040. The management team of Team Canada is Sean Burke and Martin Brodeur and they don't make this pick lightly. They're picking players based on the potential to be on the team for years to come. That's a MASSIVE endorsement from two of the great NHL goalies (and arguably the best to ever play the game).

Kudos to the Canucks for grabbing this kid and kudos to Dipietro for earning the call.

He does play a bit like Brodeur when you think about it as well. On the small size, incredibly athletic etc. Hrmmmm....

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Wow, good for him. He must be so pumped. He probably won’t play a game but that’s still awesome he’ll be practicing with a bunch of NHLers. Hell of an experience for a young guy like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad