Mets/Yankees Thread

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

The Wilpons have to be in dire financial trouble right now. Their mounting debt, combined with no money coming in from SNY (which is how the Wilpons bleed money from the Mets with a below-market TV deal to funnel to themselves), has to be the end for them.

No way the other owners float them more money via low-interest loans in this environment. It is every rat for themselves at this point in MLB. Amazing that it probably took a worldwide pandemic to finally kill the Wilpon virus.

It will be interesting to see if they try to go crawling back to Steve Cohen too. Because unless another comparable deep-pocketed Mets fan steps up, he is probably their best option for the most money.

They obviously won't get as much as Cohen originally offered, which is hilarious given that Fred's folly to protect Fredo hurt the rest of his family, but Cohen seems like the type of businessman who would overlook the prior mess for a chance to own the Mets, up his status even more and purchase the team for a discount.

All I know is that the Wilpon's cannot be gone soon enough. Hopefully once someone with real financial clout and intelligence takes over, the team can finally spend like it should to add that one star player they always seem to be lacking and the missing depth to put them over the top.

Reactions: xECK29x

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
The Wilpons have to be in dire financial trouble right now. Their mounting debt, combined with no money coming in from SNY (which is how the Wilpons bleed money from the Mets with a below-market TV deal to funnel to themselves), has to be the end for them.

No way the other owners float them more money via low-interest loans in this environment. It is every rat for themselves at this point in MLB. Amazing that it probably took a worldwide pandemic to finally kill the Wilpon virus.

It will be interesting to see if they try to go crawling back to Steve Cohen too. Because unless another comparable deep-pocketed Mets fan steps up, he is probably their best option for the most money.

They obviously won't get as much as Cohen originally offered, which is hilarious given that Fred's folly to protect Fredo hurt the rest of his family, but Cohen seems like the type of businessman who would overlook the prior mess for a chance to own the Mets, up his status even more and purchase the team for a discount.

All I know is that the Wilpon's cannot be gone soon enough. Hopefully once someone with real financial clout and intelligence takes over, the team can finally spend like it should to add that one star player they always seem to be lacking and the missing depth to put them over the top.
...just in time for a salary cap in 2021

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
f*** the Wilpons.

This is a solid offensive lineup:
Nimmo - CF
McNeil - LF
Conforto - RF
Alonso - 1B
Cespedes / Dom Smith - DH
JD Davis - 3B
Ramos - C
Cano / Dead Lowrie - 2B
Rosario - SS

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
f*** the Wilpons.

This is a solid offensive lineup:
Nimmo - CF
McNeil - LF
Conforto - RF
Alonso - 1B
Cespedes / Dom Smith - DH
JD Davis - 3B
Ramos - C
Cano / Dead Lowrie - 2B
Rosario - SS

The Mets definitely have the potential to field a deep lineup capable of generating a lot of offense, although I am concerned about the defensive side of the ball.

Health will probably be the biggest concern for players like Cespedes and Cano, but at least the DH option helps.

I honestly doubt we see much of a contribution from Lowrie. Something was clearly botched with his signing/medicals.

And while I agree that Cano should bat lower in the lineup if his struggles continue, I assume that GM Bro Dog will never let that happen. Brodie will continue to try to force that trade by keeping Cano near the top of the lineup well past the point of common sense.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So you do care a little bit? :sarcasm:

Joking aside, what causes the apathy? Team ownership, baseball being boring in general or the team/players aren't likable?
All of the above for me, with a heavy emphasis on the game being a massive bore.

I've lived with the teams I root for having incompetent ownership the majority of the time. Losing never chased me away, neither did decades of hopelessness. But baseball is just godawful to watch.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
All of the above for me, with a heavy emphasis on the game being a massive bore.

I've lived with the teams I root for having incompetent ownership the majority of the time. Losing never chased me away, neither did decades of hopelessness. But baseball is just godawful to watch.

In 2015 I probably watched at least a part of 135 of the 162 regular season games and obviously all of the playoff games, but I don't think I watched a single baseball game that did not include the Mets. You couldn't pay me to watch the Rangers play the A's or something like that...

I enjoy watching baseball games because it can be in the background and you can still catch plays because of its deliberate nature. And then you can actually focus on the last few innings if the game is still close. Having Gary, Keith and Ron call games helps out a lot too, another reason to only watch Mets games.

I could watch any hockey game and be intrigued but it is a sport that I feel as if I need to pay very close attention to for the entire 2 hours.

Reactions: JoeM

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In 2015 I probably watched at least a part of 135 of the 162 regular season games and obviously all of the playoff games, but I don't think I watched a single baseball game that did not include the Mets. You couldn't pay me to watch the Rangers play the A's or something like that...

I enjoy watching baseball games because it can be in the background and you can still catch plays because of its deliberate nature. And then you can actually focus on the last few innings if the game is still close. Having Gary, Keith and Ron call games helps out a lot too, another reason to only watch Mets games.

I could watch any hockey game and be intrigued but it is a sport that I feel as if I need to pay very close attention to for the entire 2 hours.
I can watch the Mets because Gary, Ron and Keith are fantastic. I love listening to Howie on the radio. But the game itself, with it's endless pitching changes, lefty-righty-pitch-to-one-batter, everybody trying to hit home runs, hitters unwilling or unable to hit against the shift is brutal to sit through.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I can watch the Mets because Gary, Ron and Keith are fantastic. I love listening to Howie on the radio. But the game itself, with it's endless pitching changes, lefty-righty-pitch-to-one-batter, everybody trying to hit home runs, hitters unwilling or unable to hit against the shift is brutal to sit through.

Baseball and football has become so bad for me. There's pretty much no incentive to watch them live (except for spoilers) because the amount of breaks is ridiculous. I've watched every game of Mets seasons a few times and used to have a ticket plan for them, but it's just not as good as it used to be. I hate the emphasis on home runs in newer ball parks, and that Citi Field moved the fences in. The introduction of the DH to the NL is a disgrace. Replay needs to go away. The pitching changes are brutal, as are the wait times between pitches sometimes. It's just a mess right now.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Baseball and football has become so bad for me. There's pretty much no incentive to watch them live (except for spoilers) because the amount of breaks is ridiculous. I've watched every game of Mets seasons a few times and used to have a ticket plan for them, but it's just not as good as it used to be. I hate the emphasis on home runs in newer ball parks, and that Citi Field moved the fences in. The introduction of the DH to the NL is a disgrace. Replay needs to go away. The pitching changes are brutal, as are the wait times between pitches sometimes. It's just a mess right now.

3 batter minimum for relievers should help the pace a little bit.

Replay sucks, universal DH sucks, lack of small ball sucks.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
So you do care a little bit? :sarcasm:

Joking aside, what causes the apathy? Team ownership, baseball being boring in general or the team/players aren't likable?
Combination of everything. Baseball in general is just boring now. Games are just so long now as well. Wilpons are crooks. I have gone to citifield once and that was free tickets. Won’t go ever again. Alonso and McNeil got me watching the Mets some last season as both play hard and are really good hitters. I loved the Mets and islanders in the 80s. They played with so much heart and passion were exciting and of course both franchises won a championship. The only team I care about now is the islanders even though there was so many years of futility. I also still enjoy watching hockey in general.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Well, the mets suck!

They are a disaster of a franchise, from the owners to the GM and down to the rookie managers and so many ill-fitting players. The team cannot be sold soon enough and hopefully it is to Steve Cohen. He will clean house, spend and play to win. If that A-Rod/JLO group of clowns take ownership, nothing will change.

Reactions: eoin92

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m a yankees fan who never hated the Mets. When I was younger my brother and I were at the batting cages in Freeport and Jose Reyes was there training and he was cycling in and out with us in the cage and just hanging and talking to everyone. That gave me a soft spot for the Mets.

They’re a mess. The bats have been good but the bullpen and defense has been abysmal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The saga of the dumpster fire that is the NY Mets continues....

I hope Cespedes is ok. Why would BVW release a team statement before finding out if Cespedes is alive or dead?

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It sounds like Cespedes just packed up his stuff and is presumably heading back to his farm in Florida. With the Mets learning mid-game, via his new agent (remember Brodie was his former agent), that he was opting out for the rest of the year.

You really can't make this stuff up. Just another embarrassing moment for one of the worst-run organizations in sports, which is probably competing with Dan Snyder's Washington football team.

Baseball needs to force the Wilpons to sell immediately, or at least take control of the franchise, otherwise they are sure to auction off whatever talent is left for the biggest return in $$$, as opposed to making the best baseball deal.

Since the Wilpons are on their way out, I fully expect them to try and line their pockets however they can. They are probably selling off team memorabilia/historical items at this point.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Uncle Stevie is coming, this season is fraudulent anyway. Uncle Stevie is coming, this season is fraudulent anyway. Uncle Stevie is coming, this season is fraudulent anyway. Uncle Stevie is coming, this season is fraudulent anyway.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Mets have lucked out somewhat in that Cincy/St. Louis/Washington have not had blazing starts and I'm inclined to believe SAN/COL are not as good as they've started. They likely are still very much alive if they can get it together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad