Recalled/Assigned: Mete recalled, Juulsen assigned to Laval

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is the right move to make, I've personally always liked Mete more than Juulsen.

That's cause you value offense more than defense when looking at defenseman. Mete needs to produce offense if he cracks my roster. He's a liability in his own end. Juulsen has just struggled since coming back from injury to his face. He needs to get the edge back to this game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can't see how this would hurt either Juulsen or Mete. If Mete is still not producing at the NHL level he will be returned to Laval. Both really are not fully NHL ready IMO.

I think Juulsen is closer to being ready but I agree. If the Habs were a more complete team, we would not be rushing these two into our line-up.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Does anyone remember when Pierre Lambert (from the series he shoots he scores) was sent down to the AHL? He played 10 games there and then came back and dominated in the NHL. Well that probably won't happen with Mete. But its worth mentioning that it probably won't happen.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Juulsen is a more complete Dman whereas Mete possesses a slapshot that bounces twice on the way to the net

Can Mete even raise the puck past knee level? But lets talk about his skating, and ignore his other glaring holes on the blueline. At least Juulsen wasn't sheltered by Weber, he actually had to learn how to play in his own end. Mete does the old hail mary lifter to the rafters every time he tries to clear it.

Reactions: Tyson

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That's cause you value offense more than defense when looking at defenseman. Mete needs to produce offense if he cracks my roster. He's a liability in his own end. Juulsen has just struggled since coming back from injury to his face. He needs to get the edge back to this game.

I wonder how comfortable he feels with the full mask.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In this thread, you're right. But a few weeks ago? I saw plenty of people argue that rushing prospect doesn't exist and that playing guys like Mete and Juulsen in the AHL wouldn't help him more than playing 12 mins at the NHL level.

The GM himself has always maintained that no one ever complains that a prospect has been left in the minors too long. He's basically maintained that you err on the side of caution by giving a young player as much time as you can in the minors.

That looks like a sound development strategy. Now, I don't know who is advocating or was advocating rushing prospects but I do believe most of the forum has always been on the side of not rushing prospects. I think we've seen the downside of it with Montreal's particular spin on it which has involved the yoyo-ing of several young players over the years -- mostly motivated by a lack of quality organizational depth and by boneheaded GM decisions.

If it were true that the GM had turned a corner this past summer and how a new AHL coach was going to improve player development, then shouldn't we have seen the likes of Mete staying in the AHL?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The GM himself has always maintained that no one ever complains that a prospect has been left in the minors too long. He's basically maintained that you err on the side of caution by giving a young player as much time as you can in the minors.

That looks like a sound development strategy. Now, I don't know who is advocating or was advocating rushing prospects but I do believe most of the forum has always been on the side of not rushing prospects. I think we've seen the downside of it with Montreal's particular spin on it which has involved the yoyo-ing of several young players over the years -- mostly motivated by a lack of quality organizational depth and by boneheaded GM decisions.

If it were true that the GM had turned a corner this past summer and how a new AHL coach was going to improve player development, then shouldn't we have seen the likes of Mete staying in the AHL?
Not sure any of us, will ever be able to figure out, what MB is thinking...

If something makes sense, just give him a couple of weeks, and he will make a mess of it...
Bergevanism= Broken Clock Syndrome

Reactions: montreal

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
we have a .574 pts%
OpponentPTS%GPWLOLPTSGFGA
Tampa Bay Lightning.7651010014
Calgary Flames.6762200464
Washington Capitals.67221013109
Toronto Maple Leafs.6671001123
Buffalo Sabres.662301221013
San Jose Sharks.6031010013
Boston Bruins.5883120257
Edmonton Oilers.5741010026
Total14464123749
Minnesota Wild.5631010017
New York Islanders.5631100243
Vegas Golden Knights.5561100254
Pittsburgh Penguins.5452200494
Dallas Stars.5301010014
Carolina Hurricanes.5162110276
New York Rangers.5162110287
Vancouver Canucks.5001100232
Ottawa Senators.486430171810
Detroit Red Wings.4851100273
New Jersey Devils.4681010025
St. Louis Blues.4521100232
Chicago Blackhawks.3711100232
Los Angeles Kings.3681010003
Total201361277162
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This will be an interesting graph to keep tabs on. It will probably swing even more. The funny thing is we pulled points out of Washington when they weren't a playoff team. They were still playing loosey goosey after their Cup Banner raising. We also pulled points out of NYI and NYR when they were playoff teams so it kind of evens out The truth of the matter will be much clearer as the good teams continue to distance themselves from the pack.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Desperation move as usual. You are right that Mete belongs in the AHL but this D is so bad that Bergevin is visioning Mete paired with Weber and problem solved...won’t work because Mete is simply not ready. We’ll see.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

If the quality of dmen from 3-6 wasn't so appalling, I think we would see both mete and juulsen in the ahl.

It's a situation where the defensive unit is better today with them in the lineup, but both players may still get better in the long run with a prolonged ahl run.

Someone in the Habs org smells a playoff opportunity whether it's ownership or management and it's conflicting with the long term development of these guys.

Still, I dont think it would be an issue if we had halfway serviceable veterans but kulak, Benn, schlemko, and Reilly? That's got to be a contender for worst in the league.

Reactions: montreal and Tyson

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

I 100% agree with you, no question about it.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, or my mind is exaggerating what I saw, but all I'm saying is I've seen many posters that said we should let Mete and Juulsen develop in the AHL being brushed off by others basically saying rushing prospects is a myth and we shouldn't send them to the A. Mostly because we were having success and them struggling was seen (by some) as inconsequential. Red colored glasses and all I guess.

Bottom line is, both Mete and Juulsen should be in the AHL and it's good thing most people here realize that. The ones arguing against that seem gone for the most part, or maybe they just changed their mind. Either way, it's better like this.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
If the quality of dmen from 3-6 wasn't so appalling, I think we would see both mete and juulsen in the ahl.

It's a situation where the defensive unit is better today with them in the lineup, but both players may still get better in the long run with a prolonged ahl run.

Someone in the Habs org smells a playoff opportunity whether it's ownership or management and it's conflicting with the long term development of these guys.

Still, I dont think it would be an issue if we had halfway serviceable veterans but kulak, Benn, schlemko, and Reilly? That's got to be a contender for worst in the league.

This shouldn't be a factor. At all. And that's the problem. The illusion of a long term vision might be gone for good for short term ''success'', if we can call getting bounced in the first round ''success'' :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Is this something that is applied by GM's throughout the league though?

Do teams, now in 2018, really leave their prospects in the AHL if they think they can contribute in the NHL?

I don't think so, with the salary crap and prospects being on ELC's, there's huge value in adding a young player who can contribute AND cost next to nothing on the salary cap.

Personally i'm not sure the notion of "rushing a prospect" is really a thing.

I suppose this is true - if you think that players can only improve in the AHL (or any league outside the NHL).

I know the old adage is supposed to be that the "NHL is not a developmental league"...But that's also something I don't think is quite accurate.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wonder how comfortable he feels with the full mask.

Not sure. I was asking myself the same question. All I know is he is not the same player since before his face injury. I guess it happens with younger players who get hurt. It's harder for them to come back in and be consistent

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This shouldn't be a factor. At all. And that's the problem. The illusion of a long term vision might be gone for good for short term ''success'', if we can call getting bounced in the first round ''success'' :laugh:

Of course, in an ideal world, this would not be an issue. You bite the bullet and suffer the short term consequences.

But in the real world, we have to think about what success looks like to molson, because that's what really matters in the end.

The fans don't get enough from a first round exit, but Molson gets some nice additional cash flow which he can use for whatever purpose he desires.

If the fans really want to make a statement, and change the mentality, then stop going to games, stop watching games, and stop buying merch. This should eventually effect the corporate support too. There's not much more that a fan can do.

Until then, I feel the owners are content to keep going this path.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Nothing wrong with giving Juuls a break down in the AHL. He's struggled since his return and maybe he'll find his game like Mete has done. Not really a big issue.
Mete found his game?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Horrible drafting strikes again LMFAO! Seriously, we have no development plan and have not had one for decades. f***ing embarrassing.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
He probably went through some kind of sophomore slump. He looked a lot better last year. I'd rather see him in the line-up than Benn or Schlumpko.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
not really no, he needs to develop, both his offensive and defensive game.

Doubt he developed that much given the time spent in the AHL.

I'm skeptical that such a short stint would do enough to change his results at the NHL level, but I guess we're going to see soon enough.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm skeptical that such a short stint would do enough to change his results at the NHL level, but I guess we're going to see soon enough.
and before being sent down, he was not playing like a NHL calibre defenseman...

get it ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad