Metallica Appreciation Thread

Dec 29, 2004
Kill 'Em All is definitely my fave. It just rocks so fast. Great rhythm guitar, vocals, and solos.
Fair enough!

I like Ride the Lightening a lot... trappend under ice, etc. I bounce back and forth between Ride the lightening and Kill 'em all. And there isn't a bad tune on Master of Puppets and the tone is great... but there is something special about the $5.98 EP that just never happened again. I encourage anyone who is a Metallica fan to "re-revisit" this period.

Reactions: Hippasus

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Fair enough!

I like Ride the Lightening a lot... trappend under ice, etc. I bounce back and forth between Ride the lightening and Kill 'em all. And there isn't a bad tune on Master of Puppets and the tone is great... but there is something special about the $5.98 EP that just never happened again. I encourage anyone who is a Metallica fan to "re-revisit" this period.
Trapped Under Ice is one of my faves, great call!

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Album out now. Inamorata is great. Doesn't feel like its 11+ minutes long. Have to listen to everything else several more times before I give a verdict on the album in its entirety.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think so far I like 72 seasons, but its nothing great, which is the first time I haven't been excited upon first listen of a Metallica album. I think its more consistent than Hardwired but it doesn't have the major standout tracks (HW, Moth into Flame, Spit Out the Bone).

I think it will grow on me some but I don't think ill ever be alright with Lars banging on the hi-hit during almost every moment that should just be a guitar build (or bass in the case of the Inamorata bridge). Plus this is 2 albums now where Kirk's solos are a rehash of something from DM or just not memorable.

7/10 album for me at the moment,

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The non-singles ranking (in order)...

Very good/nearly great:
"Inamorata"
"Shadows Follow"
"Chasing Light"
"You Must Burn!"

OK/good:
"Room of Mirrors"
"Too Far Gone?"
"Crown of Barbed Wire"

Weak/bland:
"Sleepwalk My Life Away"

Overall, I'd give the album about 7/10. The normal criticism regarding the later Met records applies here; too long, could have been trimmed etc.

I agree that the highs are not as high as on Hardwired (to me, Halo, Spit, Moth and Atlas) and the lows aren't as low.

PS . James Hetfield sounds very good on the album!

Reactions: forsbergavs32

ChickenDinner

Mar 20, 2022
Wouldn´t give more than 4/10

Same old recycled plagiarized riffs, in a non-metal version. The drums and bass are just garbage.
Just finished listening to the full album and I agree for the most part. Don't have an issue with the bass. Drumming is extremely repetitive and nothing sounds fresh or original on this album. Everybody seems to be fawning over inamorata but it instantly reminded me of 'my friend of misery' and it made me want to stop this song and put that on instead.

Ok album considering their age and all but not an album I'll have on repeat.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Everybody seems to be fawning over inamorata but it instantly reminded me of 'my friend of misery' and it made me want to stop this song and put that on instead.

Besides the lyrics, I really don't hear any massive resemblence; the main riff/theme is totally different, chorus melody is different... The song structure is fairly similar, but hardly unique in metal(lica) songs, and "Inamorata" is a bit more adventurous in the end.

Maybe you just like "My Friend of Misery" better, and that's fine, but as far as "Inamorata" being a some carbon copy of it... I respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
New album is good for driving or working out. It's basically if they stayed in the style of The Black Album with no ballads.

Pretty good. Their best since Load IMHO. Reload was ok to me, St. Anger could have been an awesome album if the arrangement and production were better, I didn't like anything about Death Magnetic, Hardwired I initially liked parts of but it didn't stick.

No love for LOAD and ReLOAD?! :sarcasm:
Load is a very good 90s hard rock album. If anyone else besides Metallica made it, it's probably remember more fondly.

Momma Said actually could have been a great single. If Corrosion of Conformity or Days Of The New puts that out, it charts.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I think the new Metallica album would be decent if they cut out half the songs. Too much filler again.

And hired a new drummer. Good god Lars has to be the most boring drummer around to the point of being a distraction. Most of the repetitive parts musically could be interesting if he, you know, threw some accents and dynamics in there every once in a while.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Yeah. The only thing is that Lars is not just a (bad) drummer; he is the brains of Metallica (if James is the heart/soul).

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm a big fan of 72 Seasons, I'd grade it a 7/10.

I was initially concerned because I wasn't a fan of the singles, and still am not.

Fortunately, the rest of the album is pretty strong. It definitely reminds me of Load and ReLoad, and in my opinion could've easily been called OverLoad.

My personal favorite songs from the album are Sleepwalk My Life Away, You Must Burn!, Too Far Gone?, Room of Mirrors, and Inamorata. You Must Burn! reminds me a bit of Devil's Dance, while Inamorata reminds me a bit of songs like The Outlaw Torn and Fixxxer.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I have listened to the album 5 times from start to finish now and I like it. Not at the same level as my 2 all time favs Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets but about the same as the Black album and Load.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The setlist for the first pair of shows of the tour

1682962509629.png

1682962561790.png

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
So after going both days, I can honestly say, it was the worst concert experience I've ever had. You couldn't hear shit. The stage setup was awful. A big circle of speakers going in multiple directions making it echo. Apparently its been this way the entire tour.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
So after going both days, I can honestly say, it was the worst concert experience I've ever had. You couldn't hear shit. The stage setup was awful. A big circle of speakers going in multiple directions making it echo. Apparently its been this way the entire tour.

big venues are always going to echo a ton, but that setup is just dumb. In addition to all of the echoes I imagine it would cause all sorts of weird phasing or comb filtering effects too. In a normal setup the where the sound is projected from a single direction the towers get time delayed a little bit based on distance so the sound is reinforced instead of competing. when you have a circle of speakers all of those signals go out at once and make a big blur of sound (like a 0-20ms delay between them all) and then echoes on top of it.

the other thing is that since their music is fast, the natural echo of the space is relatively too long and unnatural for their style of music. that makes it tough enough to sound good in a big space. that's opposed to, say, Taylor Swift (yes I saw her it at Sofi a couple weeks ago and it was amazing) whose music is more midtempo and the singing of the crowd combines with the echo in a natural way and the two sounds are almost indistinguishable.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
big venues are always going to echo a ton, but that setup is just dumb. In addition to all of the echoes I imagine it would cause all sorts of weird phasing or comb filtering effects too. In a normal setup the where the sound is projected from a single direction the towers get time delayed a little bit based on distance so the sound is reinforced instead of competing. when you have a circle of speakers all of those signals go out at once and make a big blur of sound (like a 0-20ms delay between them all) and then echoes on top of it.

the other thing is that since their music is fast, the natural echo of the space is relatively too long and unnatural for their style of music. that makes it tough enough to sound good in a big space. that's opposed to, say, Taylor Swift (yes I saw her it at Sofi a couple weeks ago and it was amazing) whose music is more midtempo and the singing of the crowd combines with the echo in a natural way and the two sounds are almost indistinguishable.
I've seen Metallica in stadiums a bunch of times and it never sounded like it did this weekend. Its really unfortunate. I hope they never use this stage setup again.

Reactions: Metroid

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

Montreal was horrible... Opening bands if ya didn't know the songs you couldn't tell one from the other. Metallica was slightly better, but ya the Olympic Stadium was horrible.... Still had fun tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad