Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I mean, it's not hard to check, and it's not even close to being true.

His knee injury happened in November 199.
3 seasons until then:
Barca, 49 games, 47 goals (his best season)
Inter, 47 games, 34 goals (his 2nd best season ever)
Inter, 28 games, 15 goals (then the injury happened)

124 games, 96 goals is hardly a goal per game.

I like how you completely disregard the rest of me post.

Maybe I should have skipped “very”.

In any case he was on a higher trajectory at that point in his career than both Messi and C. Ronaldo.

I don’t consider Ronaldo the biggest talent ever, but I can see why some think so. Maybe even more so than C. Ronaldo.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
But as you mentioned that, in 98 Ronaldo scored 4 goals. Surely nothing spectacular for a then-considered the best player on the best team.
And he was completely gone from the final, so much so, that his performance in that game has always been clouded with mystery, speculating an illness etc.
His one big moment was vs a real good Holland side in the semi, but other than that, his whole WC was rather pedestrian for a striker of his reputation and quality at the time.
Dude, he was 21 at the time. Compare his performance to some of the other top players of the same age at this time ( Like O. Dembélé for instance) and you realize how massive the man was.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yeah but even through the stats you could see how fkn difficult it was hard to score in a very defensive Serie A era. Also there were many teams that were very competitive back then. I still remember how much I would sweat my ass off whenever Ronaldo touched the ball. He was that dangerous.
Skill wise he is definitely behind Messi IMO, but ahead of Ronaldo. Both had a better career though.

Oh I agree, Serie A in the 7 Sisters era was the NBA of leagues.
Thing is, you know by how many goals Ronaldo was winning scoring titles? Well, he never won it. Mind you, he had one healthy season at Inter, his 2nd best ever - and he wasn't even the top scorer in the league.

His best ever league season was a fantastic 34 goals in 37 games at Barca.
Cristiano's best ever? 48 in 35 goals.
Ronaldo's Barca was 0.92 goals per game. Fantastic.
Crisitano.... Has EIGHT seasons that are better than that. His highest is a ridiculous 1.37 goals per game.

It really is comparing apples and oranges.

It's Messi and Cristiano for a reason. They're only comparable to each other, and any other comparisons are a joke.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brazilian Ronaldo is the most talented footballer ever.

Messi, if he wins this World Cup, is the best footballer ever.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the most marketable football star ever.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Saying R9 is better than CR7 is like saying all Lindros is better than Howe because he had the size, skill, power to do it all. Doesn’t change the fact that Howe did it and Lindros could’ve. Same with R9 and CR7, R9 was the more talented player naturally absolutely. But CR7 did what R9 never did.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

David Beckham would’ve been the most marketable football star of all time. Had everything except for the decade of 50 goal seasons...

Reactions: Evilo

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Saying R9 is better than CR7 is like saying all Lindros is better than Howe because he had the size, skill, power to do it all. Doesn’t change the fact that Howe did it and Lindros could’ve. Same with R9 and CR7, R9 was the more talented player naturally absolutely. But CR7 did what R9 never did.

I'd say that's fair. There certainly have been footballers more talented than Cristiano - but only one has ever "put it together" on Cristiano's level (or slightly above, and that one player is Messi, noone else).

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
You said "every single time". So you were wrong as I pointed out.

Yeah, he scored those four goals, but it was in six matches and not five. On top of that, one goal was a penalty when the score was already 3-1 and the match effectively over. Another, as I've already noted, was a deflected shot. As for his performances, he didn't show up much in almost half of those finals including this year. In fact he was only officially Man of the Match once.

Wrong, again. He showed up in this year's Copa Final, he showed up in both Clasicos this year, he showed up in the Copa Final, etc. That's just this past season and not to mention getting Argentina to the World Cup or today.

So you're wrong about Ronaldo AND Messi now, but then the regulars of this forum have known that since the first day you decided to post here.

In same sentence where i was talking about 3 CL victories in row

Well maybe he hasn't been on best form at finals, but it's way harder to make your way to the final than won the final. That been said his worst final was way better performance than Messi first two games in this WC.

Nice achievements but absolutely nothing compared to thinks Ronaldo did this season.

I have different option about it, but that doesn't mean i'm wrong.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

IMO Ronaldinho was even more talented than CR & Messi but he didn't never reach his full potential.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
IMO Ronaldinho was even more talented than CR & Messi but he didn't never reach his full potential.
Yeah, because of dangles and flair... he wasn't even close to Messi. In terms of dribbling with a purpose, passing, shooting, scoring. Really not a single category Dinho has over Messi. Except you know flair that blinds today's youth.

Reactions: cgf and Luigi Habs

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, because of dangles and flair... he wasn't even close to Messi. In terms of dribbling with a purpose, passing, shooting, scoring. Really not a single category Dinho has over Messi. Except you know flair that blinds today's youth.

He also had stamina and recuperation over Messi. Dinho could also bang every girl in a club in one night, no way Messi could do that :sarcasm:

Reactions: cgf

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He also had stamina and recuperation over Messi. Dinho could also bang every girl in a club in one night, no way Messi could do that :sarcasm:

Oh, and I'm sure they were just lining up for him, too.

220px-Ronaldinho_Kazan.jpg

:help::laugh:

That said, I heard earlier he married two women at the same time? I guess there is something there, lol

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh, and I'm sure they were just lining up for him, too.

220px-Ronaldinho_Kazan.jpg

:help::laugh:

That said, I heard earlier he married two women at the same time? I guess there is something there, lol

I also heard that he slept with a different girl before every game he played. Now that’s just a rumor but from everything I’ve heard he was a total manwhore :laugh:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

Ronaldinho in his peak was way better dribbler & playmaker than Messi. Messi destroys him career wise, but in his best days he definitely dribbled with purpose & humiliated anyone, even world best defenders.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ronaldinho in his peak was way better dribbler & playmaker than Messi. Messi destroys him career wise, but in his best days he definitely dribbled with purpose & humiliated anyone, even world best defenders.
LOL

Not even close. He humiliates defenders without the end product of Messi. His best days spent dancing with the ball going no where.

Reactions: PickleRick

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
No, he wasn't.

I'll make it easy, though. No human has ever been a better dribbler than Messi. Noone. Ever.

I disagree strongly. Prime Ronaldinho was better dribbler with larger skill-set & his playmaking skills we're just something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad