Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the better football player?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I disagree strongly. Prime Ronaldinho was better dribbler with much larger skill-set & his playmaking skills we're just something else.

I think the issue is that Dinho’s flair made him look better than he was. Not saying he wasn’t one of the best dribblers of all time because clearly he is. But Messi’s dribbling is just better, more efficient, but less flashy. I could see the argument for Dinho being the 2nd best dribbler ever, but Messi is the best dribbler ever no 2 ways about it.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Garrincha.

There's next to no available videos of or his WC tournaments in 58 and 62, only stories.
Great stories, but stories nonetheless. Limited videos and we certainly didn't watch him with any regularity, none of us.
And his club career was spent in Brazil, so even less videos of anything there.

I'm not saying he was better or worse than Messi, just that it's silly to even compare as we mostly know of Garrincha through second-hand (or worse) accounts.
Undoubtedly great, but yeah, comparing him is impossible. Different era, different competition, different leagues, no videos, etc.

The short highlights on youtube are decent... But really, not close to Messi:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
In same sentence where i was talking about 3 CL victories in row

Well maybe he hasn't been on best form at finals, but it's way harder to make your way to the final than won the final. That been said his worst final was way better performance than Messi first two games in this WC.

Nice achievements but absolutely nothing compared to thinks Ronaldo did this season.

I have different option about it, but that doesn't mean i'm wrong.

Which means nothing because you said, and I'll again quote you, "scoring huge amount of goals at biggest games against world best defenders playing extremely clutch every single time." That's not remotely the case.

Assuming Ronaldo's worst Final performance is at all better than Messi's first two matches in this World Cup, it's irrelevant. It's a ridiculous statement. A better comparison would be their respective Final performances throughout their careers in which case Ronaldo doesn't even touch Messi like he doesn't touch him in pretty much everything else.

Messi easily had a better season than Ronaldo. Easily. Madrid winning the CL isn't down as much to Ronaldo as Barça winning a Double is down to Messi.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There's next to no available videos of or his WC tournaments in 58 and 62, only stories.
Great stories, but stories nonetheless. Limited videos and we certainly didn't watch him with any regularity, none of us.
And his club career was spent in Brazil, so even less videos of anything there.

I'm not saying he was better or worse than Messi, just that it's silly to even compare as we mostly know of Garrincha through second-hand (or worse) accounts.
Undoubtedly great, but yeah, comparing him is impossible. Different era, different competition, different leagues, no videos, etc.

The short highlights on youtube are decent... But really, not close to Messi:

What was the ball made of, back then? Had to handle differently than today's versions, no?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
What was the ball made of, back then? Had to handle differently than today's versions, no?

Ball was different, but how much harder or easier to deal with, I couldn't tell you from personal experience. :D
The speed of the game is so much faster today, and I don't see honestly anyone from the 50s and 60s comparing to Messi and looking as good or better.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Loved Ronaldinho but Messi is a better dribbler... some might not remember but 4-5 seasons ago, when he broke Gerd's goal-scoring record every game was a freaking masterpiece.

Yeah, those are highlights from just one season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Love Ronaldinho but he never did anything like that goal Messi scored against Getafe. As in never in his entire life.

Still the best goal I've ever seen. I remember watching the game live and there being this realization from the commentators minutes after the goal that they were watching a future icon of the game. It was quite surreal. You just have to look at Gudjohnsen when the ball goes in.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Footballs were made of leather back then, which meant that when the game was played on wet pitches the leather absorbed the water and the ball consequently gained weight. That made kicking tough, and heading gruelling.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Love Ronaldinho but he never did anything like that goal Messi scored against Getafe. As in never in his entire life.

Still the best goal I've ever seen. I remember watching the game live and there being this realization from the commentators minutes after the goal that they were watching a future icon of the game. It was quite surreal. You just have to look at Gudjohnsen when the ball goes in.

Not as good, but still fantastic and in a Copa Final:

And if you go back and watch that match the defender fouled him or something just before that and Messi took it to him.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Which means nothing because you said, and I'll again quote you, "scoring huge amount of goals at biggest games against world best defenders playing extremely clutch every single time." That's not remotely the case.

Assuming Ronaldo's worst Final performance is at all better than Messi's first two matches in this World Cup, it's irrelevant. It's a ridiculous statement. A better comparison would be their respective Final performances throughout their careers in which case Ronaldo doesn't even touch Messi like he doesn't touch him in pretty much everything else.

Messi easily had a better season than Ronaldo. Easily. Madrid winning the CL isn't down as much to Ronaldo as Barça winning a Double is down to Messi.

Every single time at every single season, not in every single game.

No it's not. My point is that Messi at his worst is absolutely terrible player. But Ronaldo is usually shining even on bad days, with his excellent off-ball play. Their final performances are really close through out their careers and i don't even remember last time when Messi "showed up" in any big final. Yes he did that at Copa del Rey which is basically comparable to Fifa Club World Cup where Ronaldo was solver with his free-kick goal.

False. Messi scored 0,8 goals per game this season, while Ronaldo went goal per game. Real Madrid scored 33 goals in CL this season, CR7 scored 15 of them. Easily better season & it's not even close. Winning double isn't comparable to leading your team to third CL victory in row, being most important player once again.

What makes you think that Messi is more important to Barcelona than Ronaldo is for Madrid?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Watch what happens when Ronaldo is not playing for RM and what hapoens when Messi is not playing for FCB.

Hint: One team keeps winning while the other struggles a lot despite having players the caliber of Luis Suarez

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Watch what happens when Ronaldo is not playing for RM and what hapoens when Messi is not playing for FCB.

Hint: One team keeps winning while the other struggles a lot despite having players the caliber of Luis Suarez

Barcelona is full of world class players and they would battle about Spanish Championship every single season even if Messi wouldn't be on team. Their extremely boring tactic is build to benefit everything Messi does & it's only tactical issue if they struggle without him.

Ronaldo is extremely important piece in really big games where man's are separated from boys. RM has 3 CL victories in row & they won't have any without Ronaldo & his extremely clutch performances. It's ridiculous to say that Messi is more important for Barcelona, because there is absolutely nothing that would support the argument.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Did you have to go to a special trolling school to come up with stuff like this?

There is difference between honest option & trolling. If thinks doesn't go Leo's way he loses his motivation for game, starts to walk on field & does absolutely nothing in terms of effective team play. Doesn't work same way with all-time greatest.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
There is difference between honest option & trolling. If thinks doesn't go Leo's way he loses his motivation for game, starts to walk on field & does absolutely nothing in terms of effective team play. Doesn't work same way with all-time greatest.

Ronaldo often completely disappears from games. It's as much one of his trademarks as his "who me?" face.

Reactions: les Habs

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Ronaldo often completely disappears from games. It's as much one of his trademarks as his "who me?" face.

You are probably talking about the Brazilian one. Cristiano off-ball play is second to none & it opens huge amount of space for rest of team.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Yeah, Phenomeno was a superior talent & better player at his best...but his injuries kept him from being as dominant as CR7, that dude has just been a machine, even though he’s basically just been a poacher for the past 5-6 years.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

At the beginning of the move that led to Nacho's goal against Portugal the other day, Ronaldo was spectating rather than occupying the central midfield passing lane he could easily have covered. But things were going well for him, so perhaps that's when his motivation starts to wane.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Is it okay to say Maradona>Messi and brazil Ronaldo> New Ronaldo ???? :towel::razz:

only if you accompany it with this
maradona-1530076830.jpg

Reactions: KJS14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad