Messi Says He Will Retire From Argentina National Team

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Possibly. However after this Summer I don't think there is anything significant until the next World Cup. If you factor in this Summer he had 5 goals (and I'm not sure how many assists) in the Copa America where he got to the Final. Compare that to Ronaldo who has 3 goals and 1 assist in the Euro and he is now in that Final. Easily comparable. Anyway, if he's back by the next World Cup I don't think it'll have a major impact at all.

Messi's tournament was FAR FAR greater than what anything Ronaldo has ever done with Portugal. Ronaldo has been pedestrian most of the time too.

Agreed, though...it's possible but highly unlikely. No major tournaments coming up and by the time it rolls around he'll be back or not in contention for it regardless.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
are you guys kidding me? there's the Confederation's Cup between now and the WC and Ronaldo will be in it as he leads Portugal to the Euro championship while Messi will be playing for the Shanghai Iphones :sarcasm:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Strong rumours that Messi will be back for the next qualifiers...too soon but this was always going to be the case.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina will announce their team for the next qualifiers tonight....it's expect Messi will be among the names.

Again too soon but better this then never. Now to call up Dybala and erase Higuain from memory.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Argentina will announce their team for the next qualifiers tonight....it's expect Messi will be among the names.

Again too soon but better this then never. Now to call up Dybala and erase Higuain from memory.

Maradonna said he expects Messi to decline it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just a heads up then : a player can't legally reject a NT selection without risking a FIFA (and thus UEFA) suspension, which would mean Barca suspension.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Technically you can't.
I learnt that from Domenech when he unretired Makelele for the WC. He told him he was allowed to suspended him from Chelsea and Maks had to come back.

That's interesting but probably not a good idea to go to war with your players and forcing them to play.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nope. Only Domenech could find it a great idea :facepalm:
That said, he reached the WC final with that move.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Like I said at little earlier than I would've preferred but I'd rather this than nothing. Also seeing Dybala and him clicking is too entice not to be excited by this.

Watch Bauza call up Higuain too.:cry:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Like I said at little earlier than I would've preferred but I'd rather this than nothing. Also seeing Dybala and him clicking is too entice not to be excited by this.

Watch Bauza call up Higuain too.:cry:

Yeah, he only broke the goal scoring record in Serie A. :huh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haha, I don't like him doing that move though.
I liked that he quitted and said "stop, I'm not having fun". The change of heart doesn't strike me as good character really. Or rather as character at all.
He should either have not quitted or quitted for good IMO.

Not that it matters much however and I'm sure argentine fans will be happy !

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, he only broke the goal scoring record in Serie A. :huh:

So? Argentina is trying to win under pressure. They're not trying to beat Atlanta 5-0.

Did Argentina even have a game during his 'retirement'?

nope.

Haha, I don't like him doing that move though.
I liked that he quitted and said "stop, I'm not having fun". The change of heart doesn't strike me as good character really. Or rather as character at all.
He should either have not quitted or quitted for good IMO.

Not that it matters much however and I'm sure argentine fans will be happy !

It was never going to be for good. His retirement was more of break...I don't like the timing but not going to stress about it. This way he Dybala,Correa and maybe soon Vietto can develop some chemistry for 2018. This should also help barca bring Dybala in next summer. It's all good news.

Higuain didn't get called up BTW.:D

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He didn't miss one match!:laugh:

Ah well, fanboys are gonna fanboys. Things like these speak massively of his character, or lack thereof. He's still a massive footballer.

raw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad