Messi Says He Will Retire From Argentina National Team

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I agree with those that think Messi is probably not the best leader. That doesn't mean he's not the best player in the world because he is, but he doesn't strike me as particularly inspiring or 'commanding'.

This article just got much funnier after yesterday.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4184...eltdown-would-never-have?ICID=HP_HN_HP_RI_0_3

Is Ronaldo inspiring or commanding? There are different ways to lead and Messi very obviously leads by example. Is he the perfect captain? No. However what he does on the pitch is far more what you'd expect from a captain when it comes to teamwork and work rate than what you get from Ronaldo.

I don't agree with the article entirely, but the overwhelming evidence is that Ronaldo is self-absorbed and cares more Ronaldo's success than he does the team's. Just look at how he celebrated in the 2014 CL Final, where his teammates were laughing at him, which to put it into further context was in front of cameras for a film about him. He also has been caught multiple times not celebrating with teammates who scored and even showing "frustration" at another teammate scoring instead of himself. When the article was written there were multiple examples of him not taking the first penalty during a shootout. And quite frankly his shooting first against Poland could very well have been down to management more than the player considering what happened in 2012.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Is Ronaldo inspiring or commanding? There are different ways to lead and Messi very obviously leads by example. Is he the perfect captain? No. However what he does on the pitch is far more what you'd expect from a captain when it comes to teamwork and work rate than what you get from Ronaldo.

I don't agree with the article entirely, but the overwhelming evidence is that Ronaldo is self-absorbed and cares more Ronaldo's success than he does the team's. Just look at how he celebrated in the 2014 CL Final, where his teammates were laughing at him, which to put it into further context was in front of cameras for a film about him. He also has been caught multiple times not celebrating with teammates who scored and even showing "frustration" at another teammate scoring instead of himself. When the article was written there were multiple examples of him not taking the first penalty during a shootout. And quite frankly his shooting first against Poland could very well have been down to management more than the player considering what happened in 2012.

Ronaldo should be inspiring to any and every aspiring young athlete. There isn't a single athlete with as much determination and drive to be the best as he has shown all throughout his career.

Sir Alex Ferguson said so, and so have all of his managers. He's the hardest worker in training and in practice at all times.

As for your second comment there in bold, it's obvious you've not been around this game much over the last 12 years. There is absolutely nothing that happens involving Cristiano Ronaldo on the national team that he doesn't have direct and full control over.

It's been the Ronaldo +10 show for 12 years which is honestly the reason why Portugal hasn't and likely never will win with Ronaldo at the helm. They've never had enough of a spine to create a game plan and then insert Ronaldo into it, it's always been creating a game plan around Ronaldo.

Anyway, for the topic at hand, Messi has done exactly nothing for Argentina at the senior level. His absence will not be heavily noticed.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I didn't say that Ronaldo was a perfect captain either. He's far too self absorbed, though no I wouldn't say that Messi puts in more work than Ronaldo at all.

It's just a hate article written by someone really upset for Messi after he missed the penalty against Chile. It's a nothing article that claims Ronaldo would never be in that same position because he'd never take the first penalty for his team in a high pressure situation (which he just did, regardless of who's decision it was). He also scored it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ronaldo should be inspiring to any and every aspiring young athlete. There isn't a single athlete with as much determination and drive to be the best as he has shown all throughout his career.

Sir Alex Ferguson said so, and so have all of his managers. He's the hardest worker in training and in practice at all times.

As for your second comment there in bold, it's obvious you've not been around this game much over the last 12 years. There is absolutely nothing that happens involving Cristiano Ronaldo on the national team that he doesn't have direct and full control over.

It's been the Ronaldo +10 show for 12 years which is honestly the reason why Portugal hasn't and likely never will win with Ronaldo at the helm. They've never had enough of a spine to create a game plan and then insert Ronaldo into it, it's always been creating a game plan around Ronaldo.

Anyway, for the topic at hand, Messi has done exactly nothing for Argentina at the senior level. His absence will not be heavily noticed.

Oh Sir Alex said so? That must make it true. SAF also said Ronney influences the game more than Messi guess that's true too.

Also for the bold, completely ridiculous. 3 straight finals is nothing to scoff at, it's an accomplishment in itself.

But never mind that, how many finals finals from 93 to when Messi arrived on the scene. Answer is ZERO. To say that they won't miss him, shows how completely oblivious you are to Argentina. You watch them what 3 times in the last 5+ years? Yup, your opinion should be taken seriously.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He earned the right to be full of himself

He is Alpha and handles pressure much better than Missi

"I'm quitting the NT, sniff sniff"

Hope they write "Noted Choker" on Messi's gravestone. Hard to think of a more fitting epithet tbh. He should have knowingly taken steroids as an adult like Maradona did tbh maybe that would have made him more Alpha.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Penaldo so alpha that only time he played Messi in the CL Final he lost. Also so alpha he can't score against Iceland or Austria with a billion chances. Can't even beat the mighty US or get out of a group over them either :o

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

And Messi shouldn't? That's how we got here.

Yet in how many matches over the course of how many years he's generally failed to put in the work or the effort on the defensive end. Not very inspiring or commanding and certainly not leading by example.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So I haven't been around the game much for the past twelve years because I don't know that Ronaldo controls everything about the NT that concerns him? As ridiculous a statement as that is, it's infinitely more ridiculous being followed up by the comment about Messi doing nothing for Argentina at the senior level. What a load of utter nonsense. If you'd only lead off with that comment I could have saved myself the time of reading the rest of your post. Anyway, way to prove the point about Ronaldo with that NT comment. So he controlled the fact and is thus responsible that he didn't take a penalty when Spain put them out.

I didn't say that Ronaldo was a perfect captain either. He's far too self absorbed, though no I wouldn't say that Messi puts in more work than Ronaldo at all.

It's just a hate article written by someone really upset for Messi after he missed the penalty against Chile. It's a nothing article that claims Ronaldo would never be in that same position because he'd never take the first penalty for his team in a high pressure situation (which he just did, regardless of who's decision it was). He also scored it.

He definitely puts in more work on the defensive end. Ronaldo's gotten better in recent years, but he's got a long way to go before matching Messi's career thus far in that regard.

Penaldo so alpha that only time he played Messi in the CL Final he lost. Also so alpha he can't score against Iceland or Austria with a billion chances. Can't even beat the mighty US or get out of a group over them either :o

Not to mention how poor Ronaldo was in that match including on one of the goals.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He earned the right to be full of himself

He is Alpha and handles pressure much better than Missi

"I'm quitting the NT, sniff sniff"

He handles pressure so well that he had to dope to come back in 94 and kill his own NT who had everything to win the whole thing.

For some reason, this gets forgotten by blind lovers.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Some quotes from OLARTICOECHEA the U20 coach, just to show what a dire state the AFA is in.

“The leaders say that the situation at the AFA is unfortunate, but imagine the one’s there day to day. River and Boca are not allowing players to go to the U20 team for political reasons. At the AFA, we’re two people working for 30 kids.â€

“At the AFA headquarters, there’s no money to feed the kids. The reality of it all is sad. There are 9 players here who can’t come (to U20 team) because there’s no money. The reality of it all is sad."

Apparently, even the Copa team had to pay for their own food. :shakehead

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
yeah that sucks, but just makes you think of how many hardship so many many more FAs have to go through. Imagine if all the FAs had money and access and infrastructure for development. Perhaps we could have seen an African champion by now? who knows. Food for thought.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
yeah that sucks, but just makes you think of how many hardship so many many more FAs have to go through. Imagine if all the FAs had money and access and infrastructure for development. Perhaps we could have seen an African champion by now? who knows. Food for thought.
Or if they weren't corrupt

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Some quotes from OLARTICOECHEA the U20 coach, just to show what a dire state the AFA is in.

“The leaders say that the situation at the AFA is unfortunate, but imagine the one’s there day to day. River and Boca are not allowing players to go to the U20 team for political reasons. At the AFA, we’re two people working for 30 kids.â€

“At the AFA headquarters, there’s no money to feed the kids. The reality of it all is sad. There are 9 players here who can’t come (to U20 team) because there’s no money. The reality of it all is sad."

Apparently, even the Copa team had to pay for their own food. :shakehead

Hundreds of millions have disappeared over the years from sponsors, lucrative friendlies, television deals.

The crooks have ruined Argentinian football. The clubs should be more than rich enough to hold the kids so that they can develop within Argentina rather than being dragged off by agents to Europe where they end up ruining their careers bench warming.

Mammanna should be a key part of River Plate not end up at Lyon which is hardly the best place for his development. Ditto for Lo Celso at PSG. But the parasites get their money who cares about the player, the seleccion or the clubs that developed them who get a pittance.

There should be more than enough money to pay for the best coaches at all age group levels. Pochettino should have been ear marked as I suggested several years ago for the u20, Zubeldia for the u17 and Simeone for the senior side. There is no consistent long term plan.

No one cares about the infrastructure or finding out why there is lack of top class keepers and defenders and laterals being developed recently when in the past there was a ready supply. The parasites just imagine the supply line will be endless. Players will emerge regardless and for the most part they have thanks to the hard work of junior volunteer coaches and the great work clubs do with the youth leagues in BA/Rosario.

The seleccion should be the strongest team in the world but the malaise of the AFA has ensured that it has been undermined in the past/present and future. Just look at the 1958 World Cup when it banned several players because they decided to move to Europe.

The failure to appreciate changes in the global game in the sixties which led to several years of failure.

You look at the success of Argentina in other team sports like volleyball, basketball, field hockey and rugby union on far smaller budgets but with people who run the game for the betterment of their sport and not themselves and wonder what the seleccion and the clubs might have achieved.

Instead the best coaches have ended up improving club and national teams across South America while the seleccion have suffered under a string of incompetents not just at senior level but at age group level.

Who an earth allows the son of the now thankfully dead Don julio to coach the u20s ? Or allow Maradona to take the reins or Batista ?

A gold medal within reach. More importantly a chance for the kids to take their first steps in tournament football. All thrown away because of the greed of a few who have sucked football dry.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Looks like Tata Martino has resigned

Yup, he's finally fed up. Hasn't been paid and still wanted to coach the Olympic team but players are not being able to go. He delayed forming the team from the 4th of July till the 11th. I'm guessing he saw no end in the players restrictions and decide to call it a day.

Again not a fan but AFA could do worse and will probably end up with worse. Maradona 2.0?:cry:

There have been reports that, Argentina is at risk of missing the Olympics all together and now with Tata gone. I think they won't be there. Which is probably be for the best as, the good players aren't allowed to go and they'll most likely embarrass themselves should they go anyway.

Is there a federation in a bigger crisis than AFA? or has as much corruption?

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Does retiring from international hurt his chances of winning FIFA player of the year moving forward over next few seasons?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Does retiring from international hurt his chances of winning FIFA player of the year moving forward over next few seasons?

Possibly. However after this Summer I don't think there is anything significant until the next World Cup. If you factor in this Summer he had 5 goals (and I'm not sure how many assists) in the Copa America where he got to the Final. Compare that to Ronaldo who has 3 goals and 1 assist in the Euro and he is now in that Final. Easily comparable. Anyway, if he's back by the next World Cup I don't think it'll have a major impact at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad