Memorial Cup Thread?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Yes I was wondering about the upper level too? What was the attendance?

And yes before the tournament started I thought for sure Kelowna would go through the tournament undefeated or maybe one loss.

Thats only based on having seen them play in the dub many times this year. A bit bias i guess.

Quebec looked really good.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
In the last four Memorial Cup Championships, the QMJHL has won the tournament three times. It is time that the OHA and WHL fans stop underestimating the teams from Quebec and the Maritime Provinces.

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
In the last four Memorial Cup Championships, the QMJHL has won the tournament three times. It is time that the OHA and WHL fans stop underestimating the teams from Quebec and the Maritime Provinces.

I think it's high time Q fans stop assuming we do underestimate their league. Knowledgeable hockey fans understand good teams (and bad teams) can come from all three leagues. This year in particular, the fact the Q final went the distance, the fact the Gennies were ranked number 1 for most of the year, and the fact Kelowna has the most players with significant name recognition may lead Q fans to perceive being slighted. But as whole, most are past it.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
LOL at comment on no respect for the Q. As the last poster suggested. Any hockey mind can see the standings during the year. As I can as well. I find each league plays differently. I can only comment on the WHL in this regard but WHL plays a more tighter defensive game. Big bodies. Hard forechecking.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
LOL at comment on no respect for the Q. As the last poster suggested. Any hockey mind can see the standings during the year. As I can as well. I find each league plays differently. I can only comment on the WHL in this regard but WHL plays a more tighter defensive game. Big bodies. Hard forechecking.

the feelings of no respect probably have more to do with past world junior rosters where qmjhl players are chosen less often than the other 2 leagues in spite of their success at the mem-cup. It's a valid point.

DJ Omnimaga

Sep 23, 2012
Québec City area
codewalr.us
just wondering why the upper levels were empty for last night's game? Are they normally open?

Shame to see the Colisee come to an end, beautiful vintage building.

They never opened the upper deck for 2015 playoff games and only opened it about twice during regular season, including the game where Maxi supermarket was distributing thousands of free tickets.

Remparts attendance dropped considerably in the last two years, because due to the Centre Videotron construction and road maintenance in the area, parking near Colisée Pepsi is a major nightmare. Also there are people who came to Remparts games only to see Patrick Roy coach the team.

People tend to not go to as much lenght to go see junior hockey than they would with the NHL. I think that if the Nordiques come back, then if they don't demolish the Colisée and stop major road maintenance anytime soon after the return of the NHL, then the Remparts are done in Quebec.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
They never opened the upper deck for 2015 playoff games and only opened it about twice during regular season, including the game where Maxi supermarket was distributing thousands of free tickets.

Remparts attendance dropped considerably in the last two years, because due to the Centre Videotron construction and road maintenance in the area, parking near Colisée Pepsi is a major nightmare. Also there are people who came to Remparts games only to see Patrick Roy coach the team.

People tend to not go to as much lenght to go see junior hockey than they would with the NHL. I think that if the Nordiques come back, then if they don't demolish the Colisée and stop major road maintenance anytime soon after the return of the NHL, then the Remparts are done in Quebec.

cheers for the explaination. I hope the Remparts survive long term.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Appelby save?

Ugh lost electricity for the whole game :( but managed to listen on the phone.

Anyone know where I can see the appelby save in the last minute?

Or describe? Was it a solid save? Good save? Great save?

Thanks

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
the Oshawa coach looks like he gets fashion advice from Rob Ford.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The back check from Dal Colle was also horrendous on that last goal after he personally gifted the opposition a half breakaway up the gut.

He could have easily cleaned up the 1 on 3 but instead coasted back and didn't pick up the trailer or make the easy double team on the initial puck carrier.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I'll take a guess and say Vande Sompel isn't hurting as much as he makes you believe. Seen him flop like a fish or embellish injuries waaaay too many times this year where he is back on the next shift.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I'll take a guess and say Vande Sompel isn't hurting as much as he makes you believe. Seen him flop like a fish or embellish injuries waaaay too many times this year where he is back on the next shift.

It was a pretty clear hit to the head... Brutal penalty to take that late in the game. Oshawa always picks it up when teams start taking liberties on their guys. If you wanna talk about flopping like a fish, Tkachev either goes to the Kadri school of drawing pims or the refs are biting on every play where he falls down. That call on Cassels was embarrassing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad