Dreger: Members of Leafs management attended the Canes/Flames game last night. Scouting defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They might have been salivating over Dougie Hamilton then. Guy played maybe the best game I've ever seen him play ever. Seemed motivated to stick it to his old team and the media. But realistically, that's not what they would be getting. Typically, he's a penalty machine who shoots it a lot, misses the net a lot and makes frequent mistakes defending 1 on 1, pinching, playing soft in the corners and getting caught flat footed.

But hey, if he played the Flames every game, he might be the best darn defenseman in the league.
Add "hits defenders in the shin pads with shots": and you've described Zaitsev.:laugh:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I wonder if Kadri for Hamilton or Pesce would be doable. I'm not sure how much Kadri would be an upgrade on what they have already, but it does match the idea of a RD for a top-6 goal scorer. Kadri did have 32 goals in each of the last 2 years. To me, that seems more reasonable than trying to figure out how to make Nylander or Kapanen for Hamilton or Pesce work.

I doubt it. After Matthews and Tavares our center depth would be:

Lindholm
Gauthier
Mueller
Brooks

It gets real messy without Kadri, and I would bet the Leafs like having him as an insurance policy of one of the big two go down with a major injury.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
LeBrun reported yesterday that after the Nino Niederreiter trade Waddell began receiving lots of calls. "It’s as if other teams who were staying in touch with Carolina realized it was time to get more serious about those conversations." - LeBrun. I'd imagine Dubas and the Leafs fall into this category.

Canes season is effectively over. The process for building a team that will break a decade-long Playoff drought next year starts now. The prices are already well known as 1) a 1st + prospect for Ferland and 2) a top-6 scorer (or "sniper" as Dundon puts it) for one of their RHD.

Use Nino for Rask as a template. Canes want to upgrade in asset and/or team fit in a quality-for-quality hockey deal. Centers are their greatest need.

Jeff Skinner didn't get a 1st, I can't see Ferland getting a 1st

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Certainly, but isn’t Necas still injured from that Marchment hit? And there’s no guarantee he transitions seamlessly to the centre position in the NHL. Good to have the luxury of being able to try him on the wing if necessary by bringing in another C.

The Checkers tweeted out that he's fine.

There are no guarantees. I just think there's flexibility in how they can approach this. They don't have to chase a center; a pivot is preferable, but if that means getting bent over, they can go a different path.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Jesus, stop quoting me. You're literally not even reading my posts.
You literally just asked me if I spoke with a NHL GM. And I replied above to this. Do you really need to speak to a NHL GM about recent value on dealing for a concussed player suffering their 2nd concussion just this past Sunday. Do you know what you even wrote? And you say I didn't read your reply?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

For the billionth time Jeff Skinner had a NMC would would only accept a deal to Buffalo or Toronto. The Canes took what they could get given the circumstances.

The demand and market value is higher when 30 teams are potentially bidding versus 2. Just common sense.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yes what a fun thread.

Nobody valuable is available here yet Carolina could trade a top4.
Lets be honest, Dubas is a NHL GM, he knows prices...if they are scouting the Canes, then pieces of value will be offered. Not saying Waddell accepts, but Dubas clearly knows that Johnsson as a centerpiece isn't getting anything done.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
The Leafs single "available" piece of a recently concussed 24 year old Rookie winger doesn't get you all excited?
Leafs have pretty good prospects that are likely available(outside of Sandin)... and while it sucks that Johnsson is injured, it's not like the Canes are competing for anything this year.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I wonder if Kadri for Hamilton or Pesce would be doable. I'm not sure how much Kadri would be an upgrade on what they have already, but it does match the idea of a RD for a top-6 goal scorer. Kadri did have 32 goals in each of the last 2 years. To me, that seems more reasonable than trying to figure out how to make Nylander or Kapanen for Hamilton or Pesce work.

lol I made a thread with exactly this offer. To sum up, no

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Leafs single "available" piece of a recently concussed 24 year old Rookie winger doesn't get you all excited?

I fully expect the 10th most valuable forward on a team to land a signed top4 RD in his early prime and get the other teams fans excited.

That's how you sell hope to fans.

Lets be honest, Dubas is a NHL GM, he knows prices...if they are scouting the Canes, then pieces of value will be offered. Not saying Waddell accepts, but Dubas clearly knows that Johnsson as a centerpiece isn't getting anything done.

Well I do hope he knows top4 RD's in their primes with term aren't exactly cheap, but good amount of fans here don't seem to know, and we keep going cirles as have for months.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
For the billionth time Jeff Skinner had a NMC would would only accept a deal to Buffalo or Toronto. The Canes took what they could get given the circumstances.

The demand and market value is higher when 30 teams are potentially bidding versus 2. Just common sense.
I didn't know that Skinner wanted to come to TO.

Maybe he'll take a 1-season discount a la Hossa to play with the Leafs next season.:sarcasm:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Leafs have pretty good prospects that are likely available(outside of Sandin)... and while it sucks that Johnsson is injured, it's not like the Canes are competing for anything this year.

Don't kid yourself, if they make the playoffs they'll be one of the toughest "outs" in the league. They want players today.

Reactions: BHD

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I actually think Faulk would be a decent get for Toronto. Still under contract for next year under 5 million. Not exactly the lockdown top pairing all around guy they need but it's better than what they have on the right side. Big and physical, moves the puck pretty well, he's only 26 and would come relatively cheap compared to a lot of the big tickets out there.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I actually think Faulk would be a decent get for Toronto. Still under contract for next year under 5 million. Not exactly the lockdown top pairing all around guy they need but it's better than what they have on the right side. Big and physical, moves the puck pretty well, he's only 26 and would come relatively cheap compared to a lot of the big tickets out there.

Much prefer to re-sign Gardiner.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Add "hits defenders in the shin pads with shots": and you've described Zaitsev.:laugh:
Surprisingly, Hamilton doesn't hit shinpads all that often. He's actually really good at getting his shot through traffic, possibly because of his height and reach. But it still misses the net a lot and the shots on goal are generally low quality which is why his corsi is always so darn high.

But when he's at the absolute top of his game,you can see why he was such a highly touted player. But that is often rare because he doesn't have the competitiveness that fans like. It's probably why his teammates and coaches aren't big fans of him because losses don't really seem to bother him. It's probably another reason why he's always being shopped as well.

But regardless, the tool kit is there from him to be a strong offensive defenseman. If he's in a good situation, I could see him thriving. If he's given free reins to jump into the play every game, he could probably score 20 every season. That's how overpowering his shot is.

Reactions: Liferleafer

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
A rental 1st is not the same as an off-season 1st. GMs don't really look at picks as rounds, they probably look at it more as where they're selecting. Late 20s , early 30s is practically a 2nd, so that's easier to give up then say an offseason 1st that could be honestly be anything from 1-31.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
All 31 teams are looking around trying to make their team better as the trade deadline approaches.........more at 11.00

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
Carolina covets Nylander. Leafs need RHD and a power forward presence up front.

To CAR: Nylander + Bracco + 2nd

To TOR: Pesce + Ferland + Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad