Dreger: Members of Leafs management attended the Canes/Flames game last night. Scouting defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
I would be incredibly reluctant to trade Kapanen, even for the fabled top 4 RHD. If he does get moved, it would likely be for someone with a longer term than Hamilton.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Staal is hurt and one of the better center prospects in the game, Necas, is in the system. It's pretty dire in the short-term, but less so in the mid to long-term.

Kadri would be a nice bridge to Necas, though.
Certainly, but isn’t Necas still injured from that Marchment hit? And there’s no guarantee he transitions seamlessly to the centre position in the NHL. Good to have the luxury of being able to try him on the wing if necessary by bringing in another C.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well it appears Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, and Kapanen are not going anywhere. Doubt Kadri will either.

That leaves what, Johnsson as our only NHL forward with value left? Doubt that we have enough to get a significant piece, and we'd have to settle for Faulk/TVR unfortunately.

Johnsson is concussed, I don't think teams are lining up to acquire him knowing this.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Canes play the Canucks tonight too, I would be surprised if they didnt show up there as well

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Well it appears Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, and Kapanen are not going anywhere. Doubt Kadri will either.

That leaves what, Johnsson as our only NHL forward with value left? Doubt that we have enough to get a significant piece, and we'd have to settle for Faulk/TVR unfortunately.
I would think if Leaf management really has no intention of trading AM, MM, KK or WN they understand that they will not be landing top tier RHD. If that's the case, I don't see the issue with Justin Faulk. I know he's not at the Pietro level and he's more of an offensive dman than a d first guy, but he's definitely an improvement over their current right side. I don't think adding Faulk is settling.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I think Kadri would be the best forward to trade to the Canes on both sides. Contract is great and he can produce in an offensive role no problem.

Would prefer Pesce, Faulk etc vs Hamilton though.

1st rounder is also available in my opinion.

You may be onto something here. Kadri is not as needed in Toronto as some have suggested. He's a great 3rd line Centre but with two #1 Centres on the team already, we can afford to give up some C depth. Carolina would REALLY benefit from his goal scoring ability.

And yes, they will have to give up a player who is VERY good, and fits a need.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Last nights game was garbage from both teams.. Cant be left with a great taste in their mouth unless they were there for either Mrazek or Rittich.

Defence was poor on both ends of the ice.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Last nights game was garbage from both teams.. Cant be left with a great taste in their mouth unless they were there for either Mrazek or Rittich.

Defence was poor on both ends of the ice.

Or they offer even less now, because of the poor play. Not that Nylander or even Matthews is playing great right now, so who am I to judge.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I wouldnt want Hamilton if i were Dubas... There is something odd with him that id be afraid to add in this Leaf mix... Wherever he goes, trade rumors of him almost start immediately it seems like.

Dont do it Dubas

Reactions: Liferleafer

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did you talk to the GM's?

Again, I'm not saying he's going to get traded. He's just the only one left with value.

You don't need to speak with a GM to know that. LOL. But if you think GM's are in a rush to trade for a recently concussed player that suffered his 2nd concussion. Then I have some swamp land to show you. You guys are getting ridiculous. I know there is some desperation to improve the Leafs D. But Bracco proposals, saying a recently concussed Johnsson holds value presently. All just point to desperation and not true trade value here.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
@ Canes fans; what's Faulk like?

Put him with a solid, stay-at-home, defensively-reliable partner and he’s a good 2nd pairing guy that can contribute on the PP. He’s really looked good this year partnered with DeHann.

But if he’s paired with a defenseman that also likes to roam, it can get a little ugly. Faulk’s not going to be any model of defensive responsibility.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Put him with a solid, stay-at-home, defensively-reliable partner and he’s a good 2nd pairing guy that can contribute on the PP. He’s really looked good this year partnered with DeHann.

But if he’s paired with a defenseman that also likes to roam, it can get a little ugly. Faulk’s not going to be any model of defensive responsibility.
This is a good post, and perfectly explains why Faulk wouldn't work in TO. We don't have that partner for him.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
They might have been salivating over Dougie Hamilton then. Guy played maybe the best game I've ever seen him play ever. Seemed motivated to stick it to his old team and the media. But realistically, that's not what they would be getting. Typically, he's a penalty machine who shoots it a lot, misses the net a lot and makes frequent mistakes defending 1 on 1, pinching, playing soft in the corners and getting caught flat footed.

But hey, if he played the Flames every game, he might be the best darn defenseman in the league.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

de Haan definitely leans defense, but he does jump into the play, leaving Faulk as the last guy back, his fair share.

Faulk is skating better this year than he has recently. The ability to turn and recover has been lacking in his game. To me, that's driving the difference more than his partner. We're not seeing him get caught flat-footed in transition as much.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I would think if Leaf management really has no intention of trading AM, MM, KK or WN they understand that they will not be landing top tier RHD. If that's the case, I don't see the issue with Justin Faulk. I know he's not at the Pietro level and he's more of an offensive dman than a d first guy, but he's definitely an improvement over their current right side. I don't think adding Faulk is settling.

I wouldn't mind Faulk, but i believe the cost would probably not be worth what we'd be getting back.

From what I understand about Carolina is that they want goals, today. That means if they're willing to trade with us, it has to be for something that will help them this season, which doesn't leave much on our team when you consider AM/MM/WN/JT/KK have all been named as "untouchables" from different sources.

If we can't offer those guys that leaves Kadri, Johnsson, Hyman, Brown, Marleau, Gauthier, and Lindholm as regulars left from our lineup. I find it hard to believe we'd trade Kadri or Hyman. Brown is bad, Marleau is bad, expensive, and on a NMC, and Goat/Lindholm are worth nothing. Johnsson could be available, but the concussion makes him unappealing, lowers his value, and rids us of our only capable of scoring LW.

Even then, still leaving out the "untouchables" I find it hard to believe we even have enough available to pull Faulk, let alone Pesce/Hamilton (the guys we really want) unless Kadri becomes available, and we wouldn't be settling for Faulk at that point. Faulk doesn't work unless Carolina will be settling for futures. Pesce/Hamilton doesn't work because I doubt Dubas is willing (happy about this) to trade what he needs to get it done.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You don't need to speak with a GM to know that. LOL. But if you think GM's are in a rush to trade for a recently concussed player that suffered his 2nd concussion. Then I have some swamp land to show you. You guys are getting ridiculous. I know there is some desperation to improve the Leafs D. But Bracco proposals, saying a recently concussed Johnsson holds value presently. All just point to desperation and not true trade value here.

Jesus, stop quoting me. You're literally not even reading my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad