Meloche Traded

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hopefully he plays well in the Avs organization, but at 25 he doesn't really have the upside of a prospect, or the reliability of a vet who's played in the NHL before. He's been in the AHL for five years but only once had decent numbers.

I wonder if he was targeted just as a guy to add to and flip later in the season for someone like Pickard, if they actually DO need a #3 to play in the NHL? Or for a #3 deadline rental.

I can't imagine they think Bibeau is their safety net.

Reactions: MarkT

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I feel like we’ve been talking about Meloche for 10 years. It was probably time, especially with Timmins showing he’s ready after missing over a year of hockey.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Timmins did this, consider that a positive. Would've prefered us just claiming a goalie on waivers.

if you claim a player off wavers , then you add a contract and get closer to to you limit( 50) . But if you make a trade then it's a wash for your number of contacts .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
if you claim a player off wavers , then you add a contract and get closer to to you limit( 50) . But if you make a trade then it's a wash for your number of contacts .

More importantly; you can't pick up an AHL-starter off waivers because anyone you pick up on waivers would have to go back on waivers to go down to the AHL.

Reactions: Foppa2118

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
More importantly; you can't pick up an AHL-starter off waivers because anyone you pick up on waivers would have to go back on waivers to go down to the AHL.

NHL EHM proved to me that this was easy to do

Reactions: cgf

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
As I said on the main board, I just don't understand why we couldn't trade Barberio here? He's as useless as they come by, while Meloche has strengths in other areas such as shutdown ability and physicality that Mark doesn't come close to possessing.
Because Barberio is good enough to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Foppa2118

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Because Barberio is good enough to play in the NHL.
ELC players are worth more than scrubs such as Barberio, he's a 7th defender....Meloche is the same thing, he just hasn't been given time because Barberio was lucky enough to play in the NHL before he came to Colorado. This is not a "who's better" and more about Avs giving the older player more loyalty than Meloche. Barberio is finished, he's a dime-a-dozen player and will be gone when his contract runs out, Meloche you still had a ton of RFA years, so I definitely do not agree with your statement.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Given the glut of LHD's it seems a bit odd to see a RHD prospect on an ELC moved, instead of one of the older LHD's who are pending UFA's. There aren't any RHD's on the Eagles apart from Alt now after all.

Timing wise it perhaps would also have made more sense to wait to trade a defenseman until after seeing if someone was lost to waivers. Now we may lost one of Barberio/Graves to waivers and thereby be down 2 defenders from what we had in preseason... Not that it matters much for the NHL roster, but it would be a loss for the AHL roster.

Whatever the case, this isn't a trade to lose sleep over. Just a tad disappointing to see yet another 2nd rounder fizzle out to nothing.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
ELC players are worth more than scrubs such as Barberio, he's a 7th defender....Meloche is the same thing, he just hasn't been given time because Barberio was lucky enough to play in the NHL before he came to Colorado. This is not a "who's better" and more about Avs giving the older player more loyalty than Meloche. Barberio is finished, he's a dime-a-dozen player and will be gone when his contract runs out, Meloche you still had a ton of RFA years, so I definitely do not agree with your statement.
ELC's are only worth something if the player in an NHLer. Meloche was never going to make it up the depth chart here.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
ELC's are only worth something if the player in an NHLer. Meloche was never going to make it up the depth chart here.
Just because he wasn't doesn't mean he's a useless or bust. I would not be surprised if he develops into a Brendan Dillon 2.0 type of defender and that's better than whatever Barberio is.

Again Barberio is gone after his deal has expired, why would you trade an RFA defender who has the potential to be as good as Barberio or even better for an effin' career AHLer starter (who isn't even that good either). Bibeau isn't close to Korpisalo good.

Reactions: arun and CobraAcesS

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Bit surprising to hear since those who've been watching him and posting about him on the boards here have mostly have had positive things to say.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Just because he wasn't doesn't mean he's a useless or bust. I would not be surprised if he develops into a Brendan Dillon 2.0 type of defender and that's better than whatever Barberio is.

Again Barberio is gone after his deal has expired, why would you trade an RFA defender who has the potential to be as good as Barberio or even better for an effin' career AHLer starter (who isn't even that good either). Bibeau isn't close to Korpisalo good.
Because Barberio can already play in the NHL and it's unlikely Meloche ever will.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Because Barberio can already play in the NHL and it's unlikely Meloche ever will.
Peter Worrell played in the NHL, you saying you would trade a young AHL Dan Hinote or Brad Richardson for Phillippe Sauve over Worrell because Hinote/Richardson weren't given a chance yet to play with the parent club?

Reactions: arun

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Peter Worrell played in the NHL, you saying you would trade a young AHL Dan Hinote or Brad Richardson for Phillippe Sauve over Worrell because Hinote/Richardson weren't given a chance yet to play with the parent club?
Maybe. I wouldn't complain though. All of the players are easily replaceable, just like Meloche.

Reactions: S E P H

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
As I said on the main board, I just don't understand why we couldn't trade Barberio here? He's as useless as they come by, while Meloche has strengths in other areas such as shutdown ability and physicality that Mark doesn't come close to possessing.
Bc Barbs probably holds even less value, you can dream on one still the other is an injury ridden 8th d

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad