Melnyk's Townhall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Well, if it were me I would not want my wife to interfere in my business on social media. As Ray Kinsella said, it doesn't look professional or appropriate, whether it is Julie Turris or Tara B. In real life, my friend, away from computers, people are quite different from the social media world and, yes, no one would want a woman to keep her yap shut. I am glad though, that you painted my words ever so broadly to portray something completely different.

Perception is awfully unfair on these ladies. That is why they are in a no-win situation when they speak up. There will always be a section of people saying "Shut up you trophy wife" or things much more disgusting, as I'm sure you and I can imagine. Many do a lot of great things behind the scenes as we know Julie did with the Condors, which is why I was unhappy for her to tweet what she did. In the end she looked bad even though the militants (the minority) loved it. I hated it because prior to her getting involved there was only one opinion. Now , unfortunately, there is another which was not necessary because her husband can deal with his contractual situation.
'Well, if it were me I would not want my wife to interfere in my business on social media. As Ray Kinsella said, it doesn't look professional or appropriate, whether it is Julie Turris or Tara B.'

Just to clarify, I didn't say 'the wives shouldn't comment'. I stated that 'both players and wives' should stay away from commenting on certain situations and keep a professional profile.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I would ask if you're honestly joking but I think you're being serious

Why not?

Pretty much everyone in this forum either assumes or believes that he's making all the decisions, on and off the ice, so why not just take over as GM too.

The only way he's going to prove how little he knows about hockey related matters, is to prove it, and let the chips fall where they may.

Everyone here, practically everyone, claims he's " a meddling owner" and that's why call ups are made, from Belleville, after 5pm to save on a days Per Diem and (higher) NHL salary.

He probably sends them the Greyhound Bus schedule and asks them to sneak into the baggage compartment too, if you listen to enough people here.

#JerryJonesIt

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Jesus Christ. I was joking. You're acting like a pre-teen girl who was just told that Justin Bieber sucks at singing.

Go drink a herbal tea and think about your life.

Also, I was going to buy tickets to the Jets - Sens game, but now I'm not. Less money to the Sens. This is your fault.

And yes, Tara B outsmarted you if you're getting this worked up about it. Unless you are, in fact, a pre-teen girl, because that would explain a lot.

Again, just in case you can't tell, I'm joking.

Except about the herbal tea and self reflection. Go do that.

Haha gotcha. Good...joke? :huh::laugh:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Ha, the thought of my wife tweeting out things about my work life to the general public (in this case the people I work with since I'm not famous Lol) sends chills down my spine. No thank you.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The signs did serve a purpose...It got people talking about the real issues involving this team,not just glossing over it...Whether it can influence positive change for the team moving forward remains to be seen...But at least its all out in the open

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Haha gotcha. Good...joke? :huh::laugh:

Why thank you, my good sir!

I hope the herbal tea was enjoyable.

**note** Some herbal teas act as diuretics, so you may need to pee like a race horse in about 45 minutes.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
#JerryJonesIt

On behalf of all non-Cowboys fans:

giphy.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Her Husband said, to reporters, in Vancouver........ “It’s tough because I think management did want to sign me, but I think that the owner didn’t

When asked about this comment PD responded ......"Everything in the hockey department goes thru me -- not Mr. Melnyk"

When Ian Mendes tweeted PD statement (above) Julie replied to Ian with ... "lol".

Kyle did not (try to) negotiate an extension over the summer with Melnyk, he negotiated with PD, and he does not know 100% what Melnyk wanted or did not want ......... that's why he speculated when answering the questions of the reporters in Vancouver and said "I think".

Now anyone can believe what they want, but if you really believe that Melnyk is actually running the team, making the hockey decisions, then everything PD says has to be lie, and why then, was he extended for three years? Why not just Jerry Jones the whole thing and become Owner/GM/President/General Manager?

Agreed. Not that I know or have any knowledge regarding this matter, there does seem to be a perception out there & we heard it again Saturday night that EM is a meddling owner. What that means exactly is unclear or how they even come to that conclusion but I take it to mean he tells PD what he wants done in some instances with his team & money. PD is his affordable hockey guy which is why he isn't his own GM & EM monitors the financial statements to assure they stay within budget or cut costs where possible. I assume PD is in his dream job & facilitating what his owner & boss wants said publicly about him & I assume take some heat on his behalf when necessary.

It may not be all the time but whenever there is a good deal of money and/or term involved with signings/extensions or if the budget may increase, he probably wants to know & decide for himself. Afterall, it is his money & given the attendance issues especially at playoff time, I'm sure he is very sensitive to whether this franchise is losing money & whether the budget should be increased. I don't know for sure but I just think there are some serious money issues surrounding this team & ownership but I can't prove it. I don't think he is going broke but I do think he is watching every penny & cutting costs wherever he can to save every last dime especially this season given the lack of attendance at games. I think he is trying not to lose money & cutting costs to balance off from the lack of attendance, cutting from one area to make up for the lost revenue in ticket sales. I would probably do the same to stop any bleeding that may be occurring. But that's just an opinion based on speculation, nothing more, quite meaningless really.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Does everyone remember Coaches Corner when Don Cherry said that Melnyk called him to ask advice about re-signing Wade Redden? That is direct evidence of the owner getting involved in hockey ops and also that he did not trust his own staff and asked DON f***ING CHERRY what his thoughts were!

That is like calling Fox News and asking them for political advice.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Does everyone remember Coaches Corner when Don Cherry said that Melnyk called him to ask advice about re-signing Wade Redden? That is direct evidence of the owner getting involved in hockey ops and also that he did not trust his own staff and asked DON ****ING CHERRY what his thoughts were!

That is like calling Fox News and asking them for political advice.

That's proof of nothing, other than two goofs chatting on the phone - especially because we signed the guy Cherry said not to sign, and we have it on pretty good authority that Muckler preferred Redden (unlike his entire staff).

I really dislike Melnyk and don't have a positive word to say about him, but I don't need to make up reasons to dislike him. There are ample real reasons.

Reactions: bert and slamigo

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At the end of the day, anyone can say whatever they want. Both opinions and responses.

I could sit here and type out a perfect plan to stop climate change, bring back a perfectly healthy planet, create world peace, and wouldn't cost anyone so much as a penny....and someone would go on a bitching rant and shoot down the idea. That's just how people are wired. It's freaking social media....don't take this shit so seriously.

I think the bottom line with all this is, people recognized that if we all took Tara Bs' advice, her husband and all his buddies would be out of work. Sports is entirely luxury spending. So it's quite funny to read her statement.

Now personally, I think there's a bit of internal pressure to denounce the billboards and play down all the internal cheapness of the organization, and put forth a 'we love Melynk' front. I get it. Workplace politics is everywhere. A guy like Karlsson can walk in 31 dressing rooms and be welcomed with cherubs throwing rose pedals at his feet. Boro...not so much. He is much more susceptible to being a causality if a new owner shows up in Ottawa. So I pretty much take what Tara is saying with a truckload of salt. She's tweeting to protect her own interests, just like most of us would.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
At the end of the day, anyone can say whatever they want. Both opinions and responses.

I could sit here and type out a perfect plan to stop climate change, bring back a perfectly healthy planet, create world peace, and wouldn't cost anyone so much as a penny....and someone would go on a *****ing rant and shoot down the idea. That's just how people are wired. It's freaking social media....don't take this **** so seriously.

I think the bottom line with all this is, people recognized that if we all took Tara Bs' advice, her husband and all his buddies would be out of work. Sports is entirely luxury spending. So it's quite funny to read her statement.

Now personally, I think there's a bit of internal pressure to denounce the billboards and play down all the internal cheapness of the organization, and put forth a 'we love Melynk' front. I get it. Workplace politics is everywhere. A guy like Karlsson can walk in 31 dressing rooms and be welcomed with cherubs throwing rose pedals at his feet. Boro...not so much. He is much more susceptible to being a causality if a new owner shows up in Ottawa. So I pretty much take what Tara is saying with a truckload of salt. She's tweeting to protect her own interests, just like most of us would.

“I think the bottom line with all this is, people recognized that if we all took Tara Bs' advice, her husband and all his buddies would be out of work. Sports is entirely luxury spending.”

That is also my point of view in response on how she phrased her statement.

“Now personally, I think there's a bit of internal pressure to denounce the billboards and play down all the internal cheapness of the organization, and put forth a 'we love Melynk' front. I get it. Workplace politics is everywhere. A guy like Karlsson can walk in 31 dressing rooms and be welcomed with cherubs throwing rose pedals at his feet. Boro...not so much. He is much more susceptible to being a causality if a new owner shows up in Ottawa. So I pretty much take what Tara is saying with a truckload of salt. She's tweeting to protect her own interests, just like most of us would.”

Possibly, but only she knows what her intent was in tweeting that for everyone to see. Perhaps it was hasty and she didn’t choose the right wording. Also, perhaps it’s the latter.

Without judging one or the other, it’s still coincidental that it comes shortly after Burro’s comments, about Melnyk, during his latest interview.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
How’s the #melnykin campaign going? After 3 weeks they’ve raised $156, that “other” campaign raised 10k in 3 days. I wonder which part of the fan base is in the minority?

Wait, is that actually a thing? You're joking, right?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you feel there is any valuable contribution to society using your resources in such a way. She clearly doesn't see the contribution to society in putting up billboards insulting the owner of a sporting franchise in order to start a conversation about the state of the team. ~400 or so people that contributed to those billboards plus a host of others apparently disagree.

This was the outcome, not the objective. We as fans generally want the same thing, but this is just rewriting what happened. Next thing we will read is that the billboards got EK signed to an extension.

Being right has become king, sad times indeed.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've seen the odds of picking 1st based on finish

does anyone know the odds of moving back?

say we finish 2nd. what are the odds we back up as far as 6th?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You can't move back more than 3 slots. To me there is a distinct number one and then a top 3. After that its just a mishmash of players. If they finish last they ensure a top 3 pick I think thats big.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

You can only drop 3 spots regardless of where you end up, so 2nd could be no worse than 5th.

Not sure of the exact odds though, sorry.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This was the outcome, not the objective. We as fans generally want the same thing, but this is just rewriting what happened. Next thing we will read is that the billboards got EK signed to an extension.

Being right has become king, sad times indeed.
If EK gets re-signed, the billboards will have been a factor. Note, I'm not saying the only factor. I doubt managment had a sense of how pissed off the fanbase was until this movement left them no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad