#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Here we go again with blaming a business' failures on its customers. I guess the reason Blockbuster is no longer around anymore isn't because it failed to offer a good product to customers, but instead it is because movie fans are bad fans.

that's a bad example. the business blockbuster was in collapsed

guys here can go back and forth on bad fans / bad owner creating disengagement ... it's a chicken and egg thing

ticket prices are comparatively low

attendance is comparatively low

those two together do impact the budget.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
that's a bad example. the business blockbuster was in collapsed

guys here can go back and forth on bad fans / bad owner creating disengagement ... it's a chicken and egg thing

ticket prices are comparatively low

attendance is comparatively low

those two together do impact the budget.
The budget is not tied to revenues.

The Sens had positive operating revenue and got an expansion windfall last season. The budget did NOT increase.

For most of the decade, the Sens have had positive operating revenue and yet we continue to operate at a budget below revenues.

Please stop spreading this myth.

Last edited:

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
If EK leaves, its not because Ottawa is a small market team, we have more than enough fan base as shown in the past to support the team. It clearly illustrates that Ottawa Fans are horrible fans at supporting their team. Don't buy tickets, then the team can not afford to sign players of EK status. Simple.

No it's strictly because of the owner. Same as Alfie. Both love the fans and the fans love them back. However, both the fans and those players don't like the owner. Simple.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
If EK leaves, its not because Ottawa is a small market team, we have more than enough fan base as shown in the past to support the team. It clearly illustrates that Ottawa Fans are horrible fans at supporting their team. Don't buy tickets, then the team can not afford to sign players of EK status. Simple.
You are obviously generalizing the issue. It runs much deeper than that and the issues have been beaten to death.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The budget is not tied to revenues.

The Sens had positive operating revenue and got an expansion windfall last season. The budget did NOT increase.

For most of the decade, the Sens have had positive operating revenue and yet we continue to operate at a budget below revenues.

Please stop spreading this myth.

you'd have to a child like understanding of business or be pretty obtuse to not understand that there is a correlation in business between revenues and expenses.

Reactions: TNUOC ALUCARD

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

lol
thats right we do have more than enough fans (which is why we had been mid-league in attendance until a couple years ago), makes you wonder why they havent gone to games and arent renewing their season tickets this year. It clearly illustrates that the Ottawa owner is a despised buffoon who has driven fans away.
Simple.

Reactions: Sensung

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, our fanbase was good enough in the past to prove the market's viability, but now they aren't? What changed?

Reactions: Sensung

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
you'd have to a child like understanding of business or be pretty obtuse to not understand that there is a correlation in business between revenues and expenses.
We are discussing the Sens player budget and ticket revenue. In each case, it is only one aspect of revenue and expenses.

For the Sens, this owner has made it clear by his actions that revenues are not directly tied to his player budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
So, our fanbase was good enough in the past to prove the market's viability, but now they aren't? What changed?

Nothing's changed. Just a few posters trying to keep false claims alive. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I don’t necessarily agree. The Ottawa area is not super populated to begin with. After that, how many % of that population cares enough about hockey to buy tickets or just watch most games? Here in Montreal it’s not as high as people think and it’s the « hockey Mecca » so I imagine it’s the same in Ottawa

Finally, out of that hockey population, how many are Habs or Leafs fans?

Really, it’s not easy for the Sens to have a team in Ottawa

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I don’t necessarily agree. The Ottawa area is not super populated to begin with. After that, how many % of that population cares enough about hockey to buy tickets or just watch most games? Here in Montreal it’s not as high as people think and it’s the « hockey Mecca » so I imagine it’s the same in Ottawa

You're right about it not being easy, but I'm not sure how much that applies here. It's not like we don't have the fans or the people with disposable income. We've been out to support the team in droves in both good years and bad.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Alfie was forced out twice, best player in the history of the franchise being sold, Methot sold, Ceci glorified, boring style of hockey, lots has changed.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
So the NHL has a low interest credit pool available to franchises, has anyone else heard that the Sens have maxed out there borrowing ability with the league?
that would be something given the debt already on the team...it implies and additional $100 million in debt.
helps explain why he has difficulty getting financing/re-financing

"NHL teams can borrow up to $100 million from the credit facility, which is backed by national media contracts. That amount means that for now, if teams were to borrow to the maximum amount, no more than three of the NHL’s seven Canadian teams could borrow from the credit facility."
NHL welcomes Canadian teams to loan pool

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Spend the money to sell the team to the public. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Lots of Habs fans in Gatineau and zero initiative shown by the Ottawa Senators organization to try to recruit new fans in Quebec. Same things happen in the valley. Any community events in Perth, or Smith Falls?? Mostly Leaf fans out there, as far as I know, not much reaching out going on from the Ottawa Senators. It really is unfortunate. The only "outreach" activity the Ottawa Senators produce is the Canadian Tire pre-season event, which was stripped down quite a bit this year from last. It is also a very underwhelming event.

The organization relies on results to sell tickets, because Melnyk won't spend the money to properly market the team. Unfortunately, aside from the fortunate run the ECF, the team has been content just to scrape its way into the playoffs, which isn't something that fans want.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Alfie was forced out twice, best player in the history of the franchise being sold, Methot sold, Ceci glorified, boring style of hockey, lots has changed.
Methot wasn't really sold, we just didn't buy him back. Ceci being glorified (really? I haven't seen anyone really do that, but ok) is no different than any other countless number of divisive players that some fans like and others hate.

I really don't think the on ice decisions are the real culprit here. If you were to get into the alleged decision to make decisions based off of short turn financial gain over long term goals; for example, salary in = to salary out for Heatley and Spezza trades, trading a pick for retaining on Hemsky, trading picks to pay Brassard's bonus, trading a pick to get Colorado to take Hammond, then I'd maybe agree, but we've been doing that kind of stuff for a while now, so it hasn't so much changed, though you might be able to argue that the trend has gone on so long that people are finally fed up.

I'd argue it's less that something changed, and more that there is only so much abuse that can be taken, but I'd also say that a guy like Murray was instrumental in shifting the focus, and did a far better job of controlling the message.

The reality is there are a lot of factors leading to the attendance drops, lack of trust that the team is doing all it can to build a contender, and a very poor job by the team of managing expectations to align with the expected results (or I guess really overestimating expected results and setting fan expectations in line with unrealistic standards).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So the NHL has a low interest credit pool available to franchises, has anyone else heard that the Sens have maxed out there borrowing ability with the league?
that would be something given the debt already on the team...it implies and additional $100 million in debt.
helps explain why he has difficulty getting financing/re-financing

"NHL teams can borrow up to $100 million from the credit facility, which is backed by national media contracts. That amount means that for now, if teams were to borrow to the maximum amount, no more than three of the NHL’s seven Canadian teams could borrow from the credit facility."
NHL welcomes Canadian teams to loan pool

I was never able to find confirmation that the fixed the tax issues with that, good to know Canadian teams have been able to do so for the last 2 years.

Back when it was launched, teams could get loans at 2%. I doubt though that the team would have an additional 100 mil with the league on top of the ~150 estimated loans they were seeking when this wasn't available. I'd suggest they'd have moved as much over to the league credit facility once available, rather than just take out additional loans, and currently have the same grand total in financing as before, or thereabouts.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I would argue the same could be said for someone who believes they are typically always tied to one another as well and are mutually exclusive, which has been proven time and time again to be false in the business world and certainly in cases where firms hold multiple independently operating public companies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
1 bad year after a great season and "some of the fan base" has gone to hell.

I'm here through thick & thin....
I agree.

Far too small a percentage of the fanbase is calling out this owner and demanding change. We need to get all fans doing their part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad