#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So the #Melnykout movement successfully forced some level of accountability with the town halls.

Where should the movement put their efforts next?

How can they keep the momentum going and continue to pressure the organization into positive change?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More MelnykOut ... yay in this corner (Count, JD1, Coladin) and in this corner well everybody else

No offense meant to any participants

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
The movement was created to get some dialogue going. Understandably, not everyone is on HFBoards, Twitter, etc., therefore don't come across all the information that's out there. We were past the point of "where there's smoke there's fire" with this owner. There's been smoke for some time, there is a fire, we identified the source of the fire and want to put it out. To be clear, #MelnykOut isn't necessarily about Melnyk leaving, it's about accountability. If Melnyk can right his wrongs and realize he's the source for the bad state in which the organization is in now and rectify it, it would satisfy many.

It's been successful so far in getting people's attention and get some information about what has happened in certain cases to light and making everyone aware of it. It was also successful in that it got Melnyk here to discuss some of these issues.

Now, with that said, they sort of moonwalked on the commitment to scouting and adding in that department from "The Letter", and lies were told about why Alfie left to Detroit, so I'm not sure he did enough to help his cause, but what will be important going forward are his actions. As the organization saw, trying to put a muzzle on traditional media in this day and age isn't going to work in 2018.

Where does it go from here? Well, everyone needs to hold the organization accountable. Ask questions, if you're not satisfied with the answer, ask again and if still not satisfied, the almighty dollar is always a way to get your point across.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting movement. I really hope Melnyk gets another partner with the team. Get that and things could improve for the team.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
It got some town halls and humbled everyone in the organization and possibly even saved Erik Karlsson. I'll wait and see this offseason if the billboards were worth the 50$

Reactions: Sensung

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I think it's got to go old school now. Write letters to the team explaining how dissatisfied you are with the state of the franchise and let them know that you'll be lowering the amount of games you'll attend until ownership changes or makes necessary adjustments to bring the team back to respectability.

Then post the letter to whatever social media you use.

The billboards served their purpose, but for anything to really happen I think the team needs tangible things. Letters in hand will do that for sure. Imagine getting hundreds of letters all saying similar things? I assume that after a while they'd just get tossed, but with no janitorial services, they'll sit in overflowing garbage bins as constant reminders of the incompetence of ownership.

Address to:

Eugene Melnyk
President, CEO, CFO, Governor, Chief of Marketing, Chief of Sales, President of Hockey Ops...
Ottawa Senators
(I need to look up the address)...

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
I think it's got to go old school now. Write letters to the team explaining how dissatisfied you are with the state of the franchise and let them know that you'll be lowering the amount of games you'll attend until ownership changes or makes necessary adjustments to bring the team back to respectability.

Then post the letter to whatever social media you use.

The billboards served their purpose, but for anything to really happen I think the team needs tangible things. Letters in hand will do that for sure. Imagine getting hundreds of letters all saying similar things? I assume that after a while they'd just get tossed, but with no janitorial services, they'll sit in overflowing garbage bins as constant reminders of the incompetence of ownership.

Address to:

Eugene Melnyk
President, CEO, CFO, Governor, Chief of Marketing, Chief of Sales, President of Hockey Ops...
Ottawa Senators
(I need to look up the address)...

Melnyk doesn't listen to people, he does as he please. The 3D logo was his call even though everyone was telling him otherwise.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wait and see what happens this summer, then plan accordingly. As much as I hate Melynk, you have to give a person a chance (yes, I know he has had several already).

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
MEHw.gif

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I think this movement should get the cheapos to put their hands in their wallets and support their team and superstars. The owner is not going anywhere....."if you can't beat them, join them" .

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This owner is his own worst enemy. He simply can't help himself and will always let his A-hole personality shine through. Unfortunately for him, it will cost him $.

I do really appreciate him calling himself a loser for blaming the media...

Would be really interested to hear what @TNUOC ALUCARD , @Ice-Tray and @coladin think of Eugene's musings...

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
For his own good and the good of the franchise, Melnyk needs to bring in an experienced hockey man to be the face of the front office. This team needs another Bryan Murray.

For me the best person for this job would be Jeff Hunt, and I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Jeff Hunt knows the Ottawa market, he resurrected the Ottawa 67s, and had a big part of bringing the CFL back to Ottawa.

To me it's the obvious choice, but because the two organizations OSEG and the Senators have been competitors over a number of opportunities over the past decade of so, I don't see EMs ego allowing him to consider doing what it takes to bring on Hunt as President of the the Senators, and I don't see Hunt being that interested.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
This owner is his own worst enemy. He simply can't help himself and will always let his A-hole personality shine through. Unfortunately for him, it will cost him $.

I do really appreciate him calling himself a loser for blaming the media...

*sigh* He needs to give his Twitter password to the PR firm, and let them change it, so he can never tweet again. His tweeting style reminds me of Trump, and that is definitely not a good thing. He says and types things without thinking of the consequences.

Personally, I don't think he was intentionally calling anyone a loser. He chose a really inappropriate cliché to say "Thing aren't good and we're doing something about it"

And to head off the ad hominem that I know is coming - I am not a fan of his, nor an employee. I really do wish that, in general, he's shut his mouth and write really really big cheques. I detest the Trump and O'Reily thing. (I hate having to add this disclaimer.) I simply follow Hanlon's Razor. Call me naive.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The more Melnyk speaks, the more clear it is to me that, in this case, Occam’s razor is also plainly Hanlon’s razor.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
*sigh* He needs to give his Twitter password to the PR firm, and let them change it, so he can never tweet again. His tweeting style reminds me of Trump, and that is definitely not a good thing. He says and types things without thinking of the consequences.

Personally, I don't think he was intentionally calling anyone a loser. He chose a really inappropriate cliché to say "Thing aren't good and we're doing something about it"

And to head off the ad hominem that I know is coming - I am not a fan of his, nor an employee. I really do wish that, in general, he's shut his mouth and write really really big cheques. I detest the Trump and O'Reily thing. (I hate having to add this disclaimer.) I simply follow Hanlon's Razor. Call me naive.
Don't think you are naive and rather enjoy your posts, but I do believe he was intentionally calling out his detractors. He is a thin-skinned ego maniac who is used to bullying his way to his goals.

Pure stupidity is part of the explanation, but IMO doesn't capture the whole of his intent.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Yeah at some point the NCC should just pull the plug on him. He can't keep owning the team as it is in Kanata especially with the record low crowds of next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad