#Melnykout/The Melnyk problem

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Don't think you are naive and rather enjoy your posts, but I do believe he was intentionally calling out his detractors. He is a thin-skinned ego maniac who is used to bullying his way to his goals.

Pure stupidity is part of the explanation, but IMO doesn't capture the whole of his intent.

Heinlein's Razor -
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."

:)

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Weird, none of the Melnyk apologists want to comment on his latest tweet...

What do you think @TNUOC ALUCARD @coladin @Ice-Tray ?

Inquiring minds want to know!

No they don't comment on those things, what they do is they bring the argument somewhere else. Unfortunately, most fall for it and follow them. We've provided links to show that the team gets money from revenue sharing, I've pm'd links for Bill O'Reilly's sexual harassment accusations (something the guy with the weird unreadable nane still defends, sadly) and they don't acknowledge these things and start debating something else.

Basically they're doing it on purpose. Either because they work for the organization and are trying to change the narrative or tgey simply have nothing else to do, have taken on this online persona and are determined to keep it going because they enjoy the attention. Best to just ignore them :)

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No they don't comment on those things, what they do is they bring the argument somewhere else. Unfortunately, most fall for it and follow them. We've provided links to show that the team gets money from revenue sharing, I've pm'd links for Bill O'Reilly's sexual harassment accusations (something the guy with the weird unreadable nane still defends, sadly) and they don't acknowledge these things and start debating something else.

Basically they're doing it on purpose. Either because they work for the organization and are trying to change the narrative or tgey simply have nothing else to do, have taken on this online persona and are determined to keep it going because they enjoy the attention. Best to just ignore them :)
Nah. I prefer to make them earn their money...

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Aka: narcissistic behaviour.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
some of you guys have a pretty unhealthy obsession with eugene melnyk

holy shit fellas....ease up....you'r gonna go crazy and drive yourselves to a heart attack

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

I agree about their tactics, but they provide me with high quality entertainment :nod:

Reactions: Sensung

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The O'Reilly thing was dumb and I lost pretty much any respect for him there.

I'm not sure what a campaign against Melnyk will accomplish. At best Melnyk will ignore it because the PR team will tell him to shut it but he could start responding and then it's a war of words back and forth where the temperature gets raised.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018

I'm not sure what a campaign against Melnyk will accomplish. At best Melnyk will ignore it because the PR team will tell him to shut it but he could start responding and then it's a war of words back and forth where the temperature gets raised.

It was successful in getting national attention on what many think is the problem in Ottawa (Melnyk) therefore now he's under more scrutiny. From there, he can be more careful, but judging from his town halls and tweet yesterday, he just keeps ruining his reputation

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

The movement has accomplished quite a bit so far.

The townhalls happened in part because of the movement.

The furor over the TDL stupidity decreased the odds of Karlsson getting moved and have forced the GM to commit to talking contract on July 1st before he considers any trade.

The average Sens fan is more aware of the problems with this owner.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The movement has accomplished quite a bit so far.

The townhalls happened in part because of the movement.

The furor over the TDL stupidity decreased the odds of Karlsson getting moved and have forced the GM to commit to talking contract on July 1st before he considers any trade.

The average Sens fan is more aware of the problems with this owner.

The "movement" has made more negative press than positive press.

This is bad for the overall club. So thanks

Reactions: TNUOC ALUCARD

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018

It has forced people to acknowledge the source of the problem with this franchise after ignoring it for so long.

Wether you like the way things are under this ownership or not, this was a very successful marketing campaign and there's no debating that. Prefering status quo with the way things are is up to you.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

I’m thinking there was already negative press before that which was caused by the source of what brought on the billboard action to take place. The irony...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
#Melnyckout can be explained as Ottawa fans want star hockey players more then a D-list celebrity owner representing their club.

Emotion behind Alfie and EK is what is at the heart of this, fans here just want their best to stick around, after all it's what we've been sold by management 'never losing a guy to free-agency' , but when it matters most Alfie/EK the trust between management and fan base is in bad shape. If EK leaves it will define Ottawa as a small market team, not able to compete with the neighbours.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
#Melnyckout can be explained as Ottawa fans want star hockey players more then a D-list celebrity owner representing their club.

Emotion behind Alfie and EK is what is at the heart of this, fans here just want their best to stick around, after all it's what we've been sold by management 'never losing a guy to free-agency' , but when it matters most Alfie/EK the trust between management and fan base is in bad shape. If EK leaves it will define Ottawa as a small market team, not able to compete with the neighbours.

There's more to it than that, unfortunately.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
If EK leaves, its not because Ottawa is a small market team, we have more than enough fan base as shown in the past to support the team. It clearly illustrates that Ottawa Fans are horrible fans at supporting their team. Don't buy tickets, then the team can not afford to sign players of EK status. Simple.

Reactions: Variable26

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
If EK leaves, its not because Ottawa is a small market team, we have more than enough fan base as shown in the past to support the team. It clearly illustrates that Ottawa Fans are horrible fans at supporting their team. Don't buy tickets, then the team can not afford to sign players of EK status. Simple.

Here we go again with blaming a business' failures on its customers. I guess the reason Blockbuster is no longer around anymore isn't because it failed to offer a good product to customers, but instead it is because movie fans are bad fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad