Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
No, that is the amount spent on salaries over the full season, counting what was paid out to the guys that were here before being traded, and those that arrived after the season started.
Still lower by the amount that we arent paying for those guys now. Where were we on our opening day roster? Any easy way to get that info?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
From the Euge himself

"If it doesn't look good here, it could look very, very nice somewhere else, but I'm not suggesting that right now," Melnyk said.

He also expressed frustration over attendance, saying the team is "fighting every day to sell a ticket," and suggested that with most areas of the operation being run on a shoestring budget, the next cut could be player salaries."

Melnyk 'tantrum' all about public funds for arena: economist
Missed the part where it says "we have the smallest and least expensive front office and scouting staff in the league".

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Still lower by the amount that we arent paying for those guys now. Where were we on our opening day roster? Any easy way to get that info?
I'm not too sure, obviously it would be lower, but we were actively trying to trade Phaneuf/etc prior to the season starting due to money. We didn't want to be spending what we were at the start of the year either.

And Turris/Duchene basically makes the Gaborik/Phaneuf swap even.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Missed the part where it says "we have the smallest and least expensive front office and scouting staff in the league".
What do you think shoestring budget means?

Along with hearing from basically everyone that we have the smallest front office staff (Our Owner is CEO and President, our Strength and Conditioning coach was made Asst GM, Alfie's position was not filled by anyone, Our GM is flying around the world as a scout, etc.), and we know we already have among the lowest scouts (11 amateur (2 of them part time), 4 Pro) in the league.

If it's going to take a literal quote for you to see things, I can't help you.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
What do you think shoestring budget means?

Along with hearing from basically everyone that we have the smallest front office staff (Our Owner is CEO and President, our Strength and Conditioning coach was made Asst GM, Alfie's position was not filled by anyone, Our GM is flying around the world as a scout, etc.), and we know we already have among the lowest scouts (11 amateur (2 of them part time), 4 Pro) in the league.

If it's going to take a literal quote for you to see things, I can't help you.

Nah dude im just looking to cut past feelings and stick to facts. I'm not suggesting we spend a lot. But lowest in the league is a pretty definitive statement and theres really nothing to back it up.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Nah dude im just looking to cut past feelings and stick to facts. I'm not suggesting we spend a lot. But lowest in the league is a pretty definitive statement and theres really nothing to back it up.
Facts are, we are spending extremely far under the acceptable amount for an NHL staff. We don't even have positions that are needed, and when people leave those positions, they should be filled, one would think is common sense.

We lost Lowes without hiring another Scout at the time, let alone a guy who could replace Lowes.

We lost Bryan Murray (RIP) and he was not replaced.

We lost Tim Murry, he was replaced by Dorion/Lee. Nobody brought in to replace either of thee guys.

We lost our President, shortly after firing the previous one, and was replaced by our owner.

Our owner is also our CEO.

Alfie left, his position was obviously unfilled.

We lost our head of European Scouting, so we promoted from withing with Ruutu, promoted a part time guy to full time, and sent our American Scout (for I can only assume was his terrible resume in the States) over to be our European scout, and we now have 2 part timers in the States in his old territory.

There is another bit

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair, I think the position Alfie held was strictly created for him and nobody else. To my knowledge, he was the only person to ever hold that position.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Facts are, we are spending extremely far under the acceptable amount for an NHL staff. We don't even have positions that are needed, and when people leave those positions, they should be filled, one would think is common sense.

We lost Lowes without hiring another Scout at the time, let alone a guy who could replace Lowes.

We lost Bryan Murray (RIP) and he was not replaced.

We lost Tim Murry, he was replaced by Dorion/Lee. Nobody brought in to replace either of thee guys.

We lost our President, shortly after firing the previous one, and was replaced by our owner.

Our owner is also our CEO.

Alfie left, his position was obviously unfilled.

We lost our head of European Scouting, so we promoted from withing with Ruutu, promoted a part time guy to full time, and sent our American Scout (for I can only assume was his terrible resume in the States) over to be our European scout, and we now have 2 part timers in the States in his old territory.

Im not disagreeing with you that we don't seem to spend a lot these days.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can afford to hire a house cleaner, but I choose to run a bare bones operation.
There's no real salary cap for operations.
Right or wrong that's the owners prerogative.

That's fine if you're operating a Super 8 Hotel. That's not fine if you're operating a Four Seasons Resort.

You don't barebones an NHL team. You do that for an ECHL (or lower league) team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The disconnect that people who want to play the realist business man card are missing is that an NHL team isn't like any other business. It's a business that is only made possible by a very unique relationship with a community of fans. Some people would use the world tribalism to describe that form of relationship.

In 2003 when Melnyk bought the team, that was the kind of business he was buying into. It's unreasonable to expect to reap the benefits of business that survives based on a tribalism type consumer base, and then get upset when as a business owner Melnyk has to faith the wrath of that same tribalism type consumer base.

If Melnyk decided to buy a Quiznos in 2003, he'd probably be dead now. Not because he would have ate far too many Chicken Carbonaras, but because unlike a Quiznos, an NHL team isn't a regular business. The tribalism of his businesses' consumer base allowed him to secure an organ.

This isn't in defense of the things said by the MelnykOut figurehead during the radio spot, I'm not entirely on board with that, but I've seen some posters put out the "his business, his money, fiscal responsibility, go watch some Milton Friedman videos on youtube!" sentiment. This is in response to that black and white viewpoint of the Senators and what kind of relationship fans are or aren't entitled to have with the team in how it chooses to operate as a business.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Maybe Yost can do some analytics of Melnyk's ownership compared to the other Canadian markets or at least the ones of similar size to ours.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa

This article is the billboard campaign's biggest win so far, it probably wouldn't have been written without the campaign. So far a lot of the coverage was just squabbling over the campaign itself, but this article draws attention to the poor state of the Senators' front office which is one of the main concerns of the fans (both pro and anti billboard).

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
I'm certain there is. But ask the Leafs, it never a simple as spend to win...not anymore.

Yeah spending doesn't guarantee winning, we've seen that. However what we've also seen is that not spending guarantees not winning. That's enough correlation to know that Melnyk's current approach to the team isn't gonna lead to any sustained success.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You can’t win with poor leadership.

Melnyck a bad leader, it all starts at the top.

Boucher said it himself ‘Leasedship is everything, without it you have nothing’

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The 27M profit numbers aren't real either!
At lot more real than Melnyk's claims to lose money with the businesses he operates.

To be fair, he personally lost millions in fines for lying about his business earnings, but we should probably just take him at his word with regards to the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad