Confirmed with Link: #MelnykOut Campaign - successfully raised 8K over this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
lol no.

I meant a silly example like:

"This situation seems dangerous for observed reason X,Y,Z . Someone may get hurt pretty bad"

"That's pretty negative way of viewing the situation, everyone is having fun and we've never had any problems to date, just be positive and it will likely work out for the best".

General: "Sir, norad has just identified multiple launch signatures in the korean peninsula. Confirmed trajectory is Eastern Seaboard."

President Slamingo: "Dear God, I always feared this day would come... On the bright side...Whose ready for some Chuurroos!!!!"

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Congrats on your grasp of the obvious.

Lebreton will happen with or without Melnyk.

There will be an NHL franchise at Lebreton with or without Melnyk.

People trying scare tactics by suggesting Ottawa won't have an NHL franchise if Melnyk is forced out are wrong.

Please point to any post I've made suggesting those actions would force him out.

The only way to TRY to force him out is to empty the arena and make sure Melnyk and the NHL know the boycott is directed towards Melnyk not the team.

The #Melnykout movement helps with the PR campaign showing Melnyk is the problem.

So in your opinion, there is only one problem with the Ottawa NHL Franchise, right?

So in your opinion, a new owner would buy/inherit a NHL Franchise with no problems, right?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Eugene Melnyk knows how convenient the timing is for a prospective buyer should they choose to swoop in.

That's why he threatened to sell off Karlsson to the highest bidder at the deadline (and why he wasn't traded, too). That's why he's making it all but a foregone conclusion that Karlsson will be sold to the highest bidder at the draft.

Eugene has a price tag in mind for the franchise which has been balked at (Desmarais). The Karlsson saga is a pressure point he's using to force the hand of the prospective buyer. Eugene will sell if his price is met, or he'll hang on for dear life and follow through on his threat to cut costs down to the bone if it isn't.

Keep in mind, Eugene is not interested in investing at the level that would put the Senators in contender status in the short term (within 5 years). It's actually rather shrewd considering the chain of events that will take place in that time frame.

Should he remain owner, his plan is likely to bottom out and spend close to the floor in the next few years, acquire and develop high end talent, and wait on his Seattle bonus money, followed by watching the value of the franchise skyrocket at the completion of Lebreton. By that time, high end youth would ideally be propelling the Senators back to contender status, and fans would be forgetful of the lows they experienced while running out the clock in Kanata.

As well, who's to say Eugene is interested in spending money to see us contend, only lose another potential championship season due to lockout (2021-2022)?

All in all, either his price is met in the short term and the team is sold with Karlsson staying put, or he hangs on for Lebreton, with a rough patch in the interim, but us fans naturally return come Lebreton. That's my theory.

When you formulated this theroy, did you ever consider that he might just sell the NHL franchise, and NOT the CTC, and retain his groups' rights to re-develop Lebreton Flats?

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
So in your opinion, there is only one problem with the Ottawa NHL Franchise, right?

So in your opinion, a new owner would buy/inherit a NHL Franchise with no problems, right?
Irrelevant. His options are:

1. Do something about the problem.

2. Sell

3. Move.

He tried the fear mongering and fans called his bluff. Balls in his court.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
KInda like the #MelnykIn thing, to be honest. If it gets going it'll add some sweet #Banter to the thing. Imagine if they get enough for billboards, or even Arena signage inside the rink. Hahaha!

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
#waitingforthebillboard

getimage.aspx

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
General: "Sir, norad has just identified multiple launch signatures in the korean peninsula. Confirmed trajectory is Eastern Seaboard."

President Slamingo: "Dear God, I always feared this day would come... On the bright side...Whose ready for some Chuurroos!!!!"

More like: "Well, we finally get to try out out new patriot X9 class ballistic intercept missiles, that we spend 10 billion dollars developing, and we get to wipe North Korea off the map too! Win!" ;)

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
When you formulated this theroy, did you ever consider that he might just sell the NHL franchise, and NOT the CTC, and retain his groups' rights to re-develop Lebreton Flats?

This isn't a realistic scenario. Bettman has already made it clear that relocation is a last resort. In this case, if Melnyk tries to sell the team, the BoG will pressure him to sell the rink, too, and pressure whatever prospective buyer into thinking they won't be approved to relocate the team.

Melnyk either sells the team and rink, or doesn't sell either.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How is building a new arena downtown that will probably cost close to half a billion dollars NOT investing in the franchise? It sucks that the hockey operations budget will probably take a hit during this process but the reality is that money has to come from somewhere. The City of Ottawa has taken the stand of not helping subsidize a new arena, which I'm fine with.

This narrative that Melnyk is cutting costs and raising things like parking just to line his own pockets is silly to me or are we just conveniently ignoring the fact that he's about to break dirt on a project that will likely cost him and his partners around 500 milllion dollars just so we can continue to be angry.

Because the entire project itself is a license to print money long-term. That is potentially the most valuable piece of real estate in the entire country. Owning it for 99 years (or whatever the deal is now) guarantees massive profit. And status. And will easily double the value of the franchise as a whole. This project is a winning lottery ticket for whoever has it.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
No kidding, my hard earned money is on this guy never digging into his own pocket to see the game live, but maybe gets his tickets for free. Keep putting up these signs, the owner will sell and this team will not stay in ottawa. He has the power, then you can take your go fund me money and be cool.

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
Because the entire project itself is a license to print money long-term. That is potentially the most valuable piece of real estate in the entire country. Owning it for 99 years (or whatever the deal is now) guarantees massive profit. And status. And will easily double the value of the franchise as a whole. This project is a winning lottery ticket for whoever has it.

I'm failing to see how this is a negative or knock on Melnyk. Shouldn't we be ecstatic that this could be a very profitable venture for himself and the future of our franchise? Short term pain for long term gain?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm failing to see how this is a negative or knock on Melnyk. Shouldn't we be ecstatic that this could be a very profitable venture for himself and the future of our franchise? Short term pain for long term gain?

He wasn't putting a cap team on the ice when he was making a profit (and when the team could've used a good player to two to compete). There's no reason to believe he invests more than the minimum going forward. It has always been a string of excuses. Hell, he hasn't even paid down the debt of the team after all these years. He has been using the organization all this time as an ATM machine and as a status symbol. Nothing more.

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
He wasn't putting a cap team on the ice when he was making a profit (and when the team could've used a good player to two to compete). There's no reason to believe he invests more than the minimum going forward. It has always been a string of excuses. Hell, he hasn't even paid down the debt of the team after all these years. He has been using the organization all this time as an ATM machine and as a status symbol. Nothing more.

Well I for one will continue to hope that the franchise does indeed double in value like you say and makes money hand over fist, even if that means putting more money in Melnyks pockets. That way when profits are indeed soaring and undeniable he will have no excuse to not spend money. As of right now the market and fans are giving him plenty of easy excuses to not spend. Mexican standoff.

thammias

Feb 8, 2006
You are too young to know who Harald Ballard is, aren't you?

No. And until we get to Harold Ballard levels, I fail to see the need to get so angry and worked up about it. (I will concede that Melnyk may have a little bit of Ballard in him when it comes to micromanaging and being too hands on in hockey ops.) But in terms of spending all I see is declining season ticket sales and attendance and thus stagnation in spending in terms of payroll.

I don't blame fans, they can spend their hard earned money on whatever they feel gives them the best bang for their buck. Even I am going to fewer games than I have in the past. But you know what, even though Melnyk is an idiot and should probably always keep his mouth shut and not say anything he has that right to get the best bang for his buck as well. Especially when he's about to invest half a billion dollars in a new arena.

That's why I hope that Nac Mac Feegle is right and this Lebreton project gets done as quickly as possible and the franchise doubles in value and there is a new buzz and resurgence of excitement with having hockey entertainment in the downtown core and profits are soaring. I know I will definitely go to more games in the new arena because I am centrally located and work downtown.

Reactions: coladin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No. And until we get to Harold Ballard levels, I fail to see the need to get so angry and worked up about it.

Until the situation here becomes equivalent to literally the worst owner in modern NHL history, we aren't allowed to complain?

Come on now. That's ludicrous.

Imagine if this was applied to other parts of life: "You aren't allowed to complain about your car until you are literally trapped inside of it while it is entirely engulfed in fire, and also careening down the side of a mountain".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad