Melnyk rips Cooke

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Sorry but Cooke plays on the edge.. Thats his game and the NHL shouldnt take that away from him.. If they do that then they might as well suspend Crosby for scoring or Anderson for making saves

You a ****ingidoit your reasoning is specious. So if a guy is an assassin or a bank robber the police shouldn't take that away from him. Plays on the edge.... piss off... David Steckel called says your an arse. Sorry you're not sorry you are trolling like a *****.
Pattern of behaviour over time is an indicator of future behaviour or an explanation for current behaviour. Cooke is a dirty player who cleaned up his act for a time but still presents many incidents of poor conduct.

Lemme ask you are you willing to let a convicted car thief valet your car. Or how bout let a pedaphile baby sit your kid . If so you are stupid if not why?

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
This is coming from a guy that wears a track suit every where he goes. Including the season opener puck drop:laugh:

If I had a net worth in the 7 or 8 figures, I'd travel everywhere by giraffe, wearing nothing but a one-piece velour unitard.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Cooke's actions might have reformed, and this act might have been purely accidental, but does anyone believe he regretted doing it?

He might have changed his behaviour for his own benefit (like staying in the league), but would his thrill to hurt suddenly change as well? Hard to believe.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
If I had a net worth in the 7 or 8 figures, I'd travel everywhere by giraffe, wearing nothing but a one-piece velour unitard.

23990420.jpg

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
As a Bruins fan I love what Melynk said, it was the truth and i wish more people had the stones to speak up against POS like Cooke. You also have to love his passion, the guy is bleeding (figure of speech) just like all of the Sens fans and it's not all about the potential lost revenue either, it's genuine anger.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I do wonder what Cherry will have to say about the whole ordeal tonight.

I can't wait to hear what he has to say. I've been shocked that nobody in the media wants to even speculate about the intent and they're all content to write it off as some sort of freak accident. It's almost as if Bob McKenzie and TSN got the first word in and nobody has the guts to contradict them.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
It worked for Mario....

Okay, I understand you guys are pissed, but this is ridiculous.

Nothing worked for Mario, he spoke out on a more serious issue. Head shots. And Cooke being a guy known for them, him and Shero sat down and told him that his play at the time was unacceptable and if he didn't change he would be off the team.

Mario didn't come out and belittle Trevor Gillies (as much as he deserved it) because not only was his head shot on purpose, but he also dropped the gloves while the player he hit was down and then he was taunting him while he was laying on the ice. I'm pretty sure Mario didn't single out one player from the Isles after that game.

The general opinion around the league was that it was an accident, yet not only does the owner speak out, but he also belittles a player for an accidental play.

And Cooke responded to the comments.

“Obviously I’m sorry Mr. Melnyk feels that way and I understand the position he’s in and it’s not easy,†said Cooke. “I think this is different than it was in the past for me, I know where my head is and how I feel about the play and that’s most important.â€

He also has tried to reach out to Karlsson, but his texts were not answered.

Matt Cooke's response shows respect and class, even after Melnyk "ripped" him.

I do feel sorry for Karlsson and you Senators fans, but your teams management is not being very professional or mature.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Nothing worked for Mario, he spoke out on a more serious issue. Head shots. And Cooke being a guy known for them, him and Shero sat down and told him that his play at the time was unacceptable and if he didn't change he would be off the team.

Mario didn't come out and belittle Trevor Gillies (as much as he deserved it) because not only was his head shot on purpose, but he also dropped the gloves while the player he hit was down and then he was taunting him while he was laying on the ice. I'm pretty sure Mario didn't single out one player from the Isles after that game.

The general opinion around the league was that it was an accident, yet not only does the owner speak out, but he also belittles a player for an accidental play.

I do feel sorry for Karlsson and you Senators fans, but your teams management is not being very professional or mature.

Marc Brassard ‏@mbrassard

@ian_mendes B. Murray told me Cooke "did not apologize" in email he sent Karlsson, who feels it wasn't accidental. Was saving it for paper.

Such a good guy he couldn't even man up and say sorry.

Also, that doesn't show class, it shows the Penguins have a good PR department that coaches their players well on what to say to avoid trouble.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
There was no intent to injure vs Savard. There was no intent to injur vs Tyutin. There was no intent to injure vs McDonaugh. THere was no intent to injure vs Lecavlier. I really wish everyone would pull the wool from over their eyes.

This. Good for your owner.

cooke has too many "accidents".

As a huge fan of Marc Savard I get so pissed off every time cooke hurts another player. It will happen again and again.

Shame on the NHL and the Pens for allowing this ass on the ice. When will it end ?

Sorry for the rant but I HATE cooke and he is so bad for the sport that I love.

I really hope Karlsson has a full recovery as he is a joy to watch on the ice.

Good Luck Sens.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm sure Cooke was able to express an appropriate amount of regret and empathy in that 140 character limit.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Nothing worked for Mario, he spoke out on a more serious issue. Head shots.And Cooke being a guy known for them, him and Shero sat down and told him that his play at the time was unacceptable and if he didn't change he would be off the team.

Mario spoke out on head shots after Crosby was injured. He was called out for his hypocrisy in lecturing the league while he employed the most vicious goon of the lot, Matt Cooke.

Instead of letting Cooke go, he had a talk with him and now evidently Cooke is trying to avoid head shots, it seems he has branched out somewhat.

Whatever Cooke said to Karlsson in his text, it was reported that he did not apologize and as Karlsson has been convinced from the get go that it was done deliberately, there is reason for him to respond.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Sorry...cooke and class don't go together.

Why would Karlsson want to respond ?

Screw cooke. His day is coming and I will cheer loud .

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Mario spoke out on head shots after Crosby was injured. He was called out for his hypocrisy in lecturing the league while he employed the most vicious goon of the lot, Matt Cooke.

Instead of letting Cooke go, he had a talk with him and now evidently Cooke is trying to avoid head shots, it seems he has branched out somewhat.

Whatever Cooke said to Karlsson in his text, it was reported that he did not apologize and as Karlsson has been convinced from the get go that it was done deliberately, there is reason for him to respond.

A rule the league changed because of what Cooke did to Savard.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I can't wait to hear what he has to say. I've been shocked that nobody in the media wants to even speculate about the intent and they're all content to write it off as some sort of freak accident. It's almost as if Bob McKenzie and TSN got the first word in and nobody has the guts to contradict them.

I think you'll be disappointed at Cherry's take. My prediction is that he will defend Cooke's action as an accident.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Did you catch Alfredsson's interview with HNIC's David Amber? Amber asked him how Karlsson was, Alfredsson said that after a couple of days he'll settle down and just be angry at not playing.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines but I got the feeling that Karlsson is some pissed at Cooke and doesn't think it was an accident.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Agree with your post. I live in Toronto, and I'm apalled how people are defending the incidant as accidental,..and giving Cooke the benefit of the doubt. Every hockey analyst and "hockey expert"? says it was accidental. To me, it's so obvious it was intent to injure. When you lift up your leg and skate,...and then step your skate down on the back of a player's leg(where there is no protection there) once Karlsson's leg was against the boards,.......what was Cooke doing? Cooke is a guy who deceptively injures players,.....down to a science. He tries to do it so discretely,...like it was just an accidental "hockey Play",...that occured at "hockey's fast pace". Matt Cooke has great balance on skates. I've seen him play many times,...and he has great balance on his skates. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing.:shakehead

I think the video of Cooke's cheap shots shows this. Does that mean he did it once again? I dunno. I am just going by the video of him and Karlsson. I think it's reasonable to illustrate his history, though. It's human nature. But, that doesn't guarantee that it was intentional. I could see how it appeared intentional. But, many NHLers and analysts have said it appeared to be a hockey play (a 'pin') that had a most unfortunate outcome. Also, I suspect Cooke is disliked around the League other than his Penguins team. Maybe, even some players on that team aren't too fond of him, I dunno.

But, the video seems to indicate it was a most awkward play and I fail to see how players say they're surprised that doesn't happen more often. Players are very conditioned, have decent balance and are used to going to the corners and boards. Sliding a skate blade on an ankle doesn't seem like it would happen very often even if players are losing balance. Perhaps, if someone has fallen on the ice, someone might get accidently stepped on but at the boards during a pin?!?

Me too. Cherry knows, and he doesn't care what the rest of the hockey world thinks.

Well, he dislikes Cooke, that's for sure. Not sure he's all that fond of Karlsson but it will be interesting to see how Cherry evaluated it. Almost for certain, he'll give whatever perspective he has meaning he won't hold back. If he thinks it's intentional, he'll say. If he thinks it was just pure bad luck, he'll assert that, too, despite his attitude towards Cooke.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I say Cherry goes right after Cooke again to have him kicked out of the league. Don't know what he will say about Melnyk's comments but I think he goes after Cooke.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I think you'll be disappointed at Cherry's take. My prediction is that he will defend Cooke's action as an accident.

He claims he called Cooke a gutless coward to his face once. So, if he defends it as a hockey play, he's probably being objective.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Sorry...cooke and class don't go together.

Why would Karlsson want to respond ?

Screw cooke. His day is coming and I will cheer loud .

Cooke's class? Where? After his history of cheap shots, did he show class after those? All he did is supposedly clamp down or be less obvious with his 'checking.' Because, his antics were so common, he'll always be under the microscope and looked at closely whenever he checks another player. It was peculiar that out of so many standard or routine 'pins' at the boards, that he'd be involved in such an atypical injury (in cutting someone's ankle where there's no protection).

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Sorry but Cooke plays on the edge.. Thats his game and the NHL shouldnt take that away from him.. If they do that then they might as well suspend Crosby for scoring or Anderson for making saves

So let's say Bertuzzi "accidentally" chopped Crosby in the throat while they were battling for a puck or something along those lines. By your logic, the play shouldn't be given another look because Bertuzzi has a history of being a hard-nosed, gritty, on-the-edge player.

jojacinto2

Jan 14, 2013

:(It's seems everyone employed by TSN believes it was a 100% accident. I tried to post in the fan forum, my thoughts suggesting it might have been intentional,....and it was never allowed to be posted. EVeryone on TSN radio won't even listen to an arguement for it being intentional. Very strange.:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad