Melnyk rips Cooke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojacinto2

Jan 14, 2013
Okay, I understand you guys are pissed, but this is ridiculous.

Nothing worked for Mario, he spoke out on a more serious issue. Head shots. And Cooke being a guy known for them, him and Shero sat down and told him that his play at the time was unacceptable and if he didn't change he would be off the team.

Mario didn't come out and belittle Trevor Gillies (as much as he deserved it) because not only was his head shot on purpose, but he also dropped the gloves while the player he hit was down and then he was taunting him while he was laying on the ice. I'm pretty sure Mario didn't single out one player from the Isles after that game.

The general opinion around the league was that it was an accident, yet not only does the owner speak out, but he also belittles a player for an accidental play.

And Cooke responded to the comments.

He also has tried to reach out to Karlsson, but his texts were not answered.

Matt Cooke's response shows respect and class, even after Melnyk "ripped" him.

I do feel sorry for Karlsson and you Senators fans, but your teams management is not being very professional or mature.

:loony:Do you really believe what you are saying here?.......Matt?

pmedguy

C'mon Ref!!!
Sep 23, 2011
Smackdown Hotel Rm27
Melnyk's comments were completely unprofessional. I understand that he is upset that he lost his star player and that the Sens season is in the toilet, but for an owner to call out a player like that is embarrassing. I hope that Karlsson has a full recovery and continues to be one of the best players in the league. Mr Melnyk quit your whining!

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Melnyk's comments were completely unprofessional. I understand that he is upset that he lost his star player and that the Sens season is in the toilet, but for an owner to call out a player like that is embarrassing. I hope that Karlsson has a full recovery and continues to be one of the best players in the league. Mr Melnyk quit your whining!

You sounded so much like the Pens fans who are all over our boards today that I assumed you were one.
Oh and the welcome back 87.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Did you catch Alfredsson's interview with HNIC's David Amber? Amber asked him how Karlsson was, Alfredsson said that after a couple of days he'll settle down and just be angry at not playing.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines but I got the feeling that Karlsson is some pissed at Cooke and doesn't think it was an accident.

Karlsson is not an idiot. it's pretty clear the kick was not an accident. Murray also said karl was pissed. I'd be ****ing fuming if i was him.
Disgusts me that he got away with it and the media is filled with cowards and/or incompetents who refuse to at least admit there is a chance it was intentional.
Sure seems like they have all been told to keep their mouths shut.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Cooke said he texted Karlsson but Karlsson never replied. That should tell you what Karlsson thinks about Cooke. Most of the time its 'yea we've texted back and forth a little bit' not no response at all.

Pitlick*

Even if the reactions from Melnyk, etc are too strong, this is Matt Cooke's fault. If he hadn't been Matt Cooke for 10 years, people would say it was an accident. But he intentionally tried to hurt people for 10 years, and was suspended many times for it. Marc Savard still has severe symptoms. He claims to have changed. Fine. But he has to live with his reputation. It is like when there is a crime in a neighbourhood, who do the police and citizens first suspect? The ex-convict in the neighbourhood. This is his fault.

If, say, James Neal had been the one to skate Karlsson, everybody, Sens fans included, would say it was an accident.

It is hard to believe a leopard can change its spots.

I believe Cooke did not want to chop the achilles. But he certainly wanted to kick Karlsson on the skate, or slew foot him. He is a dirty player who gives little shots like this whenever he can. The reason he said he has changed, and did mellow out somewhat, is his career would end if he did not. When a criminal is in his parole hearing, of course he says he has changed. He may even believe he has changed. But his heart is still the heart of a criminal.

John Holmes*

Someone needs to take him out.

We should call up Hugh Jessiman just to beat the crap out of Cooke the next time we play Pittsburgh.

John Holmes*

If any of you guys remember Brian Marchment, he was a D man that had a penchant for low bridging guys and taking out their knees.

Then he would never fight when someone tried to get at him.

Well, he got knocked out cold one game when he fell into the penalty box when the door wasn't latched properly, and he caught his head on the inside of the boards.

He was lying on the ice with his eyes rolled back and his body was twitching.

You could call it karma.

Hopefully someone serves some up to Cooke.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. He'll get it eventually.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
If any of you guys remember Brian Marchment, he was a D man that had a penchant for low bridging guys and taking out their knees.

Then he would never fight when someone tried to get at him.

Well, he got knocked out cold one game when he fell into the penalty box when the door wasn't latched properly, and he caught his head on the inside of the boards.

He was lying on the ice with his eyes rolled back and his body was twitching.

You could call it karma.

Hopefully someone serves some up to Cooke.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. He'll get it eventually.

And I will cheer when that happens. I don't care if that makes me a bad person, but watching someone as repugnant as him get his will be cathartic to me.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Anyone else find Melnyk's comments about Cooke to be just preposterous?

I think Melnyk should be ashamed of himself for the comments that he made about Cooke and how they can also be taken as an indictment of his team's players and GM Bryan Murray who has compiled the roster.

When he makes claims that Cooke is a "dime a dozen" player and that's exactly what he's worth or that he belongs in the AA CHL, it speaks volumes to me that Cooke put up 38 points while playing in all 82 games for the Pens last year. He also is a checker, plays the PK, and ocassionally on the PP. He makes the most of his minutes and is loved by Pens players, fans, media, and management.

His 38 pts. last year would have ranked him 6th in offence on the Sens. What kind of statement does "dime a dozen" player in relation to Cooke make Greening who put up 35+ points in a fairly decent season? Or Zack Smith who is a heart and soul guy who is still fine tuning his game? I get it that it sucks to lose your franchise player in such a way and as a long-time Jets fans I sympathize fully remembering how I felt when Mighty Ducks Don McSween severed Selanne's achilles by accident. But that's what this was as well......an accident.
Melnyk needs to be more responsible and conscientious as an owner with his comments and their detrimental effect.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I think Melnyk should be ashamed of himself for the comments that he made about Cooke and how they can also be taken as an indictment of his team's players and GM Bryan Murray who has compiled the roster.

When he makes claims that Cooke is a "dime a dozen" player and that's exactly what he's worth or that he belongs in the AA CHL, it speaks volumes to me that Cooke put up 38 points while playing in all 82 games for the Pens last year. He also is a checker, plays the PK, and ocassionally on the PP. He makes the most of his minutes and is loved by Pens players, fans, media, and management.

His 38 pts. last year would have ranked him 6th in offence on the Sens. What kind of statement does "dime a dozen" player in relation to Cooke make Greening who put up 35+ points in a fairly decent season? Or Zack Smith who is a heart and soul guy who is still fine tuning his game? I get it that it sucks to lose your franchise player in such a way and as a long-time Jets fans I sympathize fully remembering how I felt when Mighty Ducks Don McSween severed Selanne's achilles by accident. But that's what this was as well......an accident.
Melnyk needs to be more responsible and conscientious as an owner with his comments and their detrimental effect.

I think you forgot the stat that shows the amount of dirty plays and injuries Cooke has caused in comparison to the players you listed. Melnyk is a hockey fan and they are prone to say stupid things when they are upset. Just go listen to any team's post-game show after a loss.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
I think you forgot the stat that shows the amount of dirty plays and injuries Cooke has caused in comparison to the players you listed. Melnyk is a hockey fan and they are prone to say stupid things when they are upset. Just go listen to any team's post-game show after a loss.

That doesn't make him an unproductive player who has no place in the game. If Cooke was placed on waivers tomorrow, there would be 20 teams who would pick him up and you know it. Marchment was dirty and still had a place in the game as did Samuelsson.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Don't need a new thread when one was already posted on the first page....for future reference search for an obvious thread, odds are if you are days late to a topic you just came across there is a thread already posted on it.

John Holmes*

Am I the only one getting pm's from some Cooke fan jackhammer?

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE

Nobody is saying Cooke has no skill and is solely a goon like McGrattan and his counter parts. He obviously has some skill to play in the NHL full time., keep in mind he's playing on the officials most beloved team and has Malkin, Crosby, Letang on his roster.

Avery even put up some points, he was just more vocal to the media which tarnished his reputation more than Cooke's.

As for your comment regarding Greening, you tell me one team in this league who would rather have Cooke's 38 points than Greening's 35 other than Pittsburgh. Cooke is a proven criminal in this sport, you can't say the same of any of the Sens including Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad