Melnyk rips Cooke

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Sorry but Cooke plays on the edge.. Thats his game and the NHL shouldnt take that away from him.. If they do that then they might as well suspend Crosby for scoring or Anderson for making saves

Hmm so I drive on the edge, i cut off people, i tailgate, i speed, etc etc etc

You have to set a limit to being ON THE EDGE.

when it comes to injuring people on the ice or on the road where do we draw the line?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Sorry but Cooke plays on the edge.. Thats his game and the NHL shouldnt take that away from him.. If they do that then they might as well suspend Crosby for scoring or Anderson for making saves

Shouldn't you be back on the Penguins board demanding a suspension for Neil for being so mean as to hit "Cookie"?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I dont always agree with what melnyk has to say, but id much rather a passionate owner then one that doesnt care, or a mess like MLSE

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Go look at that cheapshot video around the 15 sec. mark. He does the EXACT same dirty leg raise move on a hit from behind a guy. And in that play its even more clear what he was trying to do. It's a dirty, reckless, gutless, ratfink thing to do. He's tying to slewfoot a guy, which is one of the rattiest plays in the game. And this time I guess he got the "bonus" of taking out a superstar.

And kingcrosby, get a frikkin clue. Dumbest opinion I have seen on a board in years. "It's how he plays, so you have to let him do it." What a stupid, stupid statement.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

Sorry but murderers murder people. That's what they do and police shouldn't take that away from them. If they do that, they might as well arrest painters for painting, or singers from singing.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Melnyk's an idiot. This does NOTHING.

The league won't be happy for sure.
I disagree. Melnyk is an owner; he's essential to MLB. He's on the NHL side during CBA negotiations, or rather the NHL is on his side. This is exactly who should be speaking out. When Melnyk's pocket book is hurting so is the NHL's. The only reason I could see Melnyk getting in trouble for saying these things is if in the NHL's judgment it is better business to have Cooke in the game than out of it. That's only true if Matt Cooke is an audience draw, and especially moreso than a guy like Karlsson.

I won't be watching a Pens game for as long as Cooke is on that team. Too bad if it makes me miss out on Malkin who I really enjoy watching.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
There was no intent to injure vs Savard. There was no intent to injur vs Tyutin. There was no intent to injure vs McDonaugh. THere was no intent to injure vs Lecavlier. I really wish everyone would pull the wool from over their eyes.

This is what makes it a horrible joke (on us). How long can this guy keep seriously injuring players before the league does something. Whether or not Cooke is intentionally hurting guys badly in these very questionable plays, he's clearly reckless and has no regard for the safety of others while he's on the ice.

I for one say good on Melynk for saying what needed to be said. Piss on the Toronto media or anyone else that wants to rip on him for what he's saying. He's as big a fan of the team as anyone, and he feels exactly how we all should feel. He just luckily gets to voice his displeasure on a bigger stage than the water cooler at work, or HFboards..

Cooke just devastated our club with a careless/reckless play. He's a gutless plug who has found himself in this situation several times before, and now Melynk, the NHL, and most of all us sens are going to feel the pain. Justice has not been served.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah, I agree. I love his passion, we can't worry about how the Toronto media will respond, who cares, get your point out there.

Exactly this. Nothing will ever change if you just keep your mouth shut all the time. It's important to remember that if you're feeling/thinking something there's probably a whole lot of others thinking the same way.

I fully support our owner on this one. It needs more attention not less.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Melnyk's an idiot. This does NOTHING.

The league won't be happy for sure.

Who ****ing cares what the league thinks? Honestly?

Are they going to take our draft picks away? Are they going to punish us with poor officiating (which would imply were getting good officiating right now)? Maclean doesnt ***** at the refs and try to make ***** of them, and thats all that matters to the guys in the stripes.

Melnyk is a rich man, and he knows he could be fined for the comments he was making. Thats a choice he made, and Im sure he's comfortable with his decision. He's pissed off, and rightfully so. Watch that video of Cooke's cheap shots, its simply sickening that Cooke is still hurting players. I would be much more upset with my owner and management if they just took this while bending over.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Congrats on making my ignore list!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm a fan of people who actually speak their minds for this team. Screw the PC ********.

jarmoismyhero

Mar 18, 2012
St. Louis
Blues fan here: Although I did not agree with what Melnyk said I think its great that he had the balls to come out and come out swinging hardcord...There are times when I wish the Blues ownership or coaches would call to task in a major way the refs and the discipline that takes place...Its drives me nuts as a fan when a horriblecall was made the cost a team the game and nobody speaks out other then the normal cliches...Its refreshing to see this even if its not all acurate...I only hope he does not come out in the next couple of days and appologize.

jojacinto2

Jan 14, 2013
Good for him!!

I honestly don't know for the life of me why there is not more speculation as to whether there was intent or not?? How is it that every so called "expert" commentator thinks the same and nobody is questioning Cooke's actions whatsoever?? It is not that clear cut......honestly, no pun untended.

The guy made his own bed, and should be questioned everytime he is involved in a play that he causes injury.

Sorry, that is not an everyday hockey play the wat he tried "pinning" him. If it was, there would be an injury like this every second night. Knee comes up, knee goes down.

Agree with your post. I live in Toronto, and I'm apalled how people are defending the incidant as accidental,..and giving Cooke the benefit of the doubt. Every hockey analyst and "hockey expert"? says it was accidental. To me, it's so obvious it was intent to injure. When you lift up your leg and skate,...and then step your skate down on the back of a player's leg(where there is no protection there) once Karlsson's leg was against the boards,.......what was Cooke doing? Cooke is a guy who deceptively injures players,.....down to a science. He tries to do it so discretely,...like it was just an accidental "hockey Play",...that occured at "hockey's fast pace". Matt Cooke has great balance on skates. I've seen him play many times,...and he has great balance on his skates. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing.:shakehead

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff

lol u ok??

I understand that some players play on the edge. Chris Neil definitely plays on the edge, but the difference between Neil and Cooke is that Neil draws the line. Cook has been suspended way too many times and Neil has not been suspended once. It's ridiculous to say use "playing on the edge" as a defense for Cooke destroying careers.

In my opinion, he's a more disgusting player than Bertuzzi. Todd may have done one of the worst things to ever happen in hockey, but Cooke has done lesser things more times.

Wooh, I've been needing to vent about Cooke for days.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I live life on the edge. I am now above the law. That was easy.

0.jpg

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

No, Neil plays on the edge... Cooke has gone over the edge many times. NOW GET OFF OUR BOARD and stop with your passive aggressive crap.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
It is interesting that there's been little to no scrutiny as to the manner in which Cooke "pinned" EK. Looks like a distinct stepping motion on Cooke's part. Speed and momentum aside, his leg is clearly pushing down and his skate directed.

That doesn't smack of someone playing on the edge, it fits his pattern of testing how far he can go past it and return without notice.

Good on, Eugene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce