Melnyk put on notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Would be fun if bettman actually forced him to sell but has that ever happened before
Doesn't have to force him to sell. Just prevent him from moving while the fans take him out to the woodshed!

Gary protects the interests of all the NHL owners and has consistently protected markets the league views as important. This protection sometimes goes against the interest of an individual owner.

He's saying the market is safe from relocation.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No one is suggesting the league will kick him out.

They will put pressure on him to complete Lebreton or sell to someone who will.

They will also block any attempt by Melnyk to move the team, making a fan revolt powerful enough to force him out.
a fan revolt will probably force the Senators out of Ottawa if anything. How can a team be viable in a market where fans don't show up over incompetent management? I know Sens fans seem to think Melnyk is uniquely incompetent, but Bettman obviously doesn't see it that way

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
a fan revolt will probably force the Senators out of Ottawa if anything. How can a team be viable in a market where fans don't show up over incompetent management?

The market has proven it's viability and is about to get pushed towards a top 10 slot with the move to Lebreton.

In the era of social media, it is extremely easy for fans to show their support for the team, while refusing to attend games until Melnyk sells.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Why would the Lebreton group offer that much less than another bid?

I mean, I know it helps your theory, but it just isn't even remotely realistic.

Because per your original post, what Gary Bettman said to Melnyk is ''sell and get the f*** out''.
Because Melnyk is losing cash hand over fist because the arena will be empty until he's gone.
Why would they pay the full price when they know he has no choice but to sell.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Because per your original post, what Gary Bettman said to Melnyk is ''sell and get the **** out''.
Because Melnyk is losing cash hand over fist because the arena will be empty until he's gone.
Why would they pay the full price when they know he has no choice but to sell.
300 M discrepancy...try again.

If the group is willing to match any other offer Melnyk can get, then the league will get him out. If they try and lowball Melnyk, then the league will back Eugene.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Bettman is very careful in his public statements.

He didn't say Melnyk would survive, but that the franchise would. A not so subtle message to Melnyk to get his crap together or sell because the team isn't going anywhere.

If Eugene continues on his self-destructive path, the fans can empty the arena and force him out.

I agree with Bettman, sort of, that Ottawa is one sensational dumpster fire.

But I believe you are reading into this what you wanted to hear.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
So you think this sudden drop in attendance is completely unrelated to how the franchise is being run? You seem like a pretty smart guy, go look at Ottawa's attendance over the last 20 years please just humor me. What sens fans want is for him to be forced to sell to an owner that is committed to the organization, city and building an arena downtown.

A relocation makes 0 sense when there is a strong buying group here that literally just bid on the Lebreton project downtown. Melnyk sells the team and attendance goes back up to the top 35 % of the league. If you are in Ottawa and have your ear to the ground you would understand that people are extremely educated here and will not put up with his behavior. Alienating the best players in franchise history and fans alike. The list of things he has done is seemingly endless if you really look into it.

300 M discrepancy...try again.

If the group is willing to match any other offer Melnyk can get, then the league will get him out. If they try and lowball Melnyk, then the league will back Eugene.

Let's go hypothetical.

Quebecor offers $650M (Seattle expansion price) to purchase Senators and move them to Quebec City.
Lebreton group doesn't offer that much.
In your respective opinion, how much lower is acceptable so the team can remain in Ottawa ?

I will tell you one thing, in Gary Bettman's and the 31 other folks mind, $650M is the minimum price for an NHL franchise.

The league can do a lot of things but they cannot prevent Melnyk from moving the team, not can they force him, under current circumstances, to sell.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Let's go hypothetical.

Quebecor offers $650M (Seattle expansion price) to purchase Senators and move them to Quebec City.
In your respective opinion, how much lower is acceptable so the team can remain in Ottawa ?

I will tell you one thing, in Gary Bettman's and the 31 other folks mind, $650M is the minimum price for an NHL franchise.

The league can do a lot of things but they cannot prevent Melnyk from moving the team, not can they force him, under current circumstances, to sell.
If Melnyk gets a 650M offer from a group, the Lebreton group would have to match.

The league can and has prevented teams from moving. If Melnyk tries to move the team with an Ottawa group willing to match other offers, then the league will block.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If Melnyk gets a 650M offer from a group, the Lebreton group would have to match.

The league can and has prevented teams from moving. If Melnyk tries to move the team with an Ottawa group willing to match other offers, then the league will block.

When and how ?

The only situation where NHL did prevent a team from moving was Coyotes/Balsillie to Hamilton...

But I would guess a) that you know that and b) that you understand the circumstances are no where near the same.

Besides...what if Lebron group doesn't match ?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
For now...
Lol. If there have been no burials of franchises, I'll assume he doesn't consider moving a franchise a burial of that franchise.

I wouldn't interpret that as all that optimistic for sens fans.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
When and how ?

The only situation where NHL did prevent a team from moving was Coyotes/Balsillie to Hamilton...

But I would guess a) that you know that and b) that you understand the circumstances are no where near the same.

Besides...what if Lebron group doesn't match ?

Yeah that's the thing. Have they stopped teams from entering certain markets? Yes. The NHL constitution backs that, though some may disagree).

Leaving a market? Nope that happens all the time.

In fact, if his comment says anything, I would say that it means he's totally open to moving the franchise. He clearly says there haven't been burials. But teams have moved. If say that clearly shows it's not a negative if they find another market for the senators (or any team for that matter).

I think its rather obvious he's telling the fans they'd better shape up because there are several candidate markets they're looking at for the senators.

Reactions: powerstuck

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Let's go hypothetical.

Yep been tried before and failed ,Ottawa isnt being relocated....A good hockey market while playing in a cornfield most seasons,EM has caused the fan unrest...And he doesnt own the team out right he owns a league controlled franchise

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yep been tried before and failed ,Ottawa isnt being relocated....A good hockey market while playing in a cornfield most seasons,EM has caused the fan unrest...And he doesnt own the team out right he owns a league controlled franchise

In which he can run any way he wants. As long as he is not breaking any laws or rules the nhl governers put into place he can do as he wishes.

And about your relocation comment. If the league doesn't see a competive offer from someone that wants to keep the team in ottawa then there is really nothing the nhl can do but allow the team to relocate.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In which he can run any way he wants. As long as he is not breaking any laws or rules the nhl governers put into place he can do as he wishes.
Yep and do you think the league wants a huge multi billion dollar arena deal on a franchise that up until recently has supported the team very well,just to relocate???Again EM may or may not be the owner but iam sure as sugar the league will not move the team

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yep and do you think the league wants a huge multi billion dollar arena deal on a franchise that up until recently has supported the team very well,just to relocate???Again EM may or may not be the owner but iam sure as sugar the league will not move the team

I edited my post while you posted, but yes the team will move if nobody can come forward with a competive deal to keep the team. The league will try and keep them here at all costs.

But if the only offers are under market value or moving. The league unfortunately will move the team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I edited my post while you posted, but yes the team will move if nobody can come forward with a competive deal to keep the team. The league will try and keep them here at all costs.

But if the only offers are under market value or moving. The league unfortunately will move the team.
They will not move the team,as there is nothing wrong with the market..And is in the phase of building a brand new arena for it....There are multiple suitors willing to buy the team,EM is playing hardball and it wont work as Betteman has already publically stated he will not be moving Ottawa

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Doesn't have to force him to sell. Just prevent him from moving while the fans take him out to the woodshed!

Gary protects the interests of all the NHL owners and has consistently protected markets the league views as important. This protection sometimes goes against the interest of an individual owner.

He's saying the market is safe from relocation.
The Winter Classic ,was another more public statement from Bettman to EM...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They will not move the team,as there is nothing wrong with the market..And is in the phase of building a brand new arena for it....There are multiple suitors willing to buy the team,EM is playing hardball and it wont work as Betteman has already publically stated he will not be moving Ottawa

Bettman also said they would not be moving atlanta also. Nobody stepped up in atlanta and we all know the rest.

As its been said before. The league will try and keep the team in ottawa. But someone has to step up to the plate and be willing to pay to keep them here.

Melynk wants to relocate team while staying owner. He will be asked to put the team up for sale and has to sale to an ottawa group willing to pay market value which according to forbes is 420 million. If the best that an ottawa group can pay is 200 million there is a really really good chance the team is relocated. The league would rather the team stay in the city they are in, but they will not accept a under market value sale just to do it.

Melnyk wants to sell to a outside group wanting to relocate. They offer 600 million. An ottawa group willing to pay 420 million, the league will only accept the bid for the ottawa group.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Bettman also said they would not be moving atlanta also. Nobody stepped up in atlanta and we all know the rest.

As its been said before. The league will try and keep the team in ottawa. But someone has to step up to the plate and be willing to pay to keep them here.

Melynk wants to relocate team while staying owner. He will be asked to put the team up for sale and has to sale to an ottawa group willing to pay market value which according to forbes is 420 million. If the best that an ottawa group can pay is 200 million there is a really really good chance the team is relocated. The league would rather the team stay in the city they are in, but they will not accept a under market value sale just to do it.

Melnyk wants to sell to a outside group wanting to relocate. They offer 600 million. An ottawa group willing to pay 420 million, the league will only accept the bid for the ottawa group.
Nobody stepped in to save ATL because there wasnt anything to save ...Look if you cant tell the difference between both markets than thats on you,EM cant relocate anything without BOG approval which has been made very clear to him he doesnt have in pertaining to relocating the franchise which the league still governs and has control over in the end...The league dictates policy not a single owner

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Man, this thread sucks. I was really hopeful after reading the title, but Bettman's comment said nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad