Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
youre_serious_futurama.gif

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
it seems like you are dreaming that Bettman is on the verge of stepping in and saving the Senators, but nothing is indicative of that. In fact, his quote is really closer to him saying that things are being blown out of proportion
Sorry, that is not what I am saying.

Bettman won't "save" the Senators, but it is clear he won't let them go anywhere. If Melnyk continues to destroy the franchise, the fans can safely empty the arena and force this owner out.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
We have no real information to know what Bettman's thoughts are. There are lots of rumours about cash flow and debt but that's all. If the NHL has to provide assistance to Melnyk he will be put on notice, but it won't be done in public.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I think you're misinterpreting it. I think he's saying it's sensationalism.

I'm not sure you understand Bettman's job, he works for the owners, he's not going to trash an owner and there have been many owners in his time worse than Melnyk

Not disagreeing beaucse I don't know, but who has been worse?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Bettman works for ALL the owners.

There is a multi billion dollar development at Lebreton Flats in Ottawa that Eugene is putting in jeopardy. The alternative bid has some heavy hitters with strong connections to Bettman and the NHL.

There is too much money at stake for the league to sit by while Nero fiddles. Eugene is bring told to stop the nonsense and get on with the bid or sell to people who will.

No hes not. Hes telling people that this isn't his first time around the block, every year another franchise is going under according to fans/media. Hes saying none of them have actually folded and it's all just drama and noise. If he and the owners wanted Melnyk out, they could force him to sell, but only if he ends up seen as hurting the bottom line of other franchises.

I'm sure his competitors love seeing his ineptitude allow them to pick the bones of his team, but they're still making money, so they dont care. Now if he came out and said or did something that directly results in others losing money, he'll be out in a matter of months.

Reactions: Auston Marlander

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Well thanks for clearing that up with your well thought out argument.
What's there to argue?

You can't do a thing. Neither can Bettman. He hasn't violated any terms of his ownership. Deal with it or find a new team.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No hes not. Hes telling people that this isn't his first time around the block, every year another franchise is going under according to fans/media. Hes saying none of them have actually folded and it's all just drama and noise. If he and the owners wanted Melnyk out, they could force him to sell, but only if he ends up seen as hurting the bottom line of other franchises.

I'm sure his competitors love seeing his ineptitude allow them to pick the bones of his team, but they're still making money, so they dont care. Now if he came out and said or did something that directly results in others losing money, he'll be out in a matter of months.
Melnyk has gone on record questioning the Lebreton deal and saying he can keep thd team in Kanata.

That will cost the owners money if he scuttles this project.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What's there to argue?

You can't do a thing. Neither can Bettman. He hasn't violated any terms of his ownership. Deal with it or find a new team.
Yes the fans can. If they protest this owner and boycott the games, he will be forced out.

If the multi-billion Lebreton deal and alternative ownership wasn't in play, then there is little that could be done. Sens fans are in a unique position of power due to the current circumstances.

Last edited:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I feel like OP misunderstood what was said. Or he's just reading too deep into it.

Also did Bettman forget about Atlanta already?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is going to an aquarium and thinking you're gonna see lions. I don't know how you arrived at your conclusion but that's not how Gary's comments read at all.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I feel like OP misunderstood what was said. Or he's just reading too deep into it.

Also did Bettman forget about Atlanta already?
I'm of the opinion that Gary Bettman is an extremely smart and experienced commissioner who parses his words with great care and frequently operates on multiple levels with his statements.

If you are aware of the background story surrounding the Sens, Lebreton deal and well connected buyers waiting to take over, then this statement can be seen as more than just an off the cuff "nothing to see here" soundbite.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'll go on record as stating that Melnyk is no longer the Sens owner by this time next year.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Gary can come in and take away the team from Melnyk in case his actions are deemed bad for the league, like Sterling in the NBA. But sadly, we have not reached that point yet. And yes, the OP completely misunderstood what the statement was about.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Melnyk has gone on record questioning the Lebreton deal and saying he can keep thd team in Kanata.

That will cost the owners money if he scuttles this project.

How does that cost anyone money but Melnyk?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Bettman is very careful in his public statements.

He didn't say Melnyk would survive, but that the franchise would. A not so subtle message to Melnyk to get his crap together or sell because the team isn't going anywhere.

If Eugene continues on his self-destructive path, the fans can empty the arena and force him out.

That's what you got out of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad