Melnyk put on notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Gary Bettman works for ALL the owners and Melnyk's actions are hurting the bottom line.

Bettman has the right to deny any relocation application and will do so with better ownership groups waiting in the wings for this embarrassment to sell.
Maybe a lil, its not like its any of the big $$ clubs. The amount of pure revenue generated by the Sens is less than the Leafs pay to help out small market teams.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
All he said was, this will pass. It always does.

Im not taking it to heart as much as the OP, however im seeing a lot of people here seemingly commenting without direct ties to the or knowledge of the market, people are aware of the ongoing fan driven agenda against the owner right? The one which is picking up steam everyday to the point where national and local media are openly discussing his antics and have seemingly turned on him, you guys are aware that the season renewal rate is at the lowest it has been in the franchise's existence (5000 range)? Add in seemingly shopping the best player the team has had with no discernible reason to the more casual fan, add in the recent direct attacks from him recently and the blossoming legal troubles....

This isn't just going to magically go away, people in Ottawa aren't all of a sudden just going to forget what's happened and go back to buying tickets...it will reach a breaking point soon imo.

Im not sure it's a direct shot at the owner but imo Gary has always spoken very carefully and things he adds or omits are very calculated.

Reactions: Sensung

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Im not taking it to heart as much as the OP, however im seeing a lot of people here seemingly commenting without direct ties to the or knowledge of the market, people are aware of the ongoing fan driven agenda against the owner right? The one which is picking up steam everyday to the point where national and local media are openly discussing his antics and have seemingly turned on him, you guys are aware that the season renewal rate is at the lowest it has been in the franchise's existence (5000 range)? Add in seemingly shopping the best player the team has had with no discernible reason to the more casual fan, add in the recent direct attacks from him recently and the blossoming legal troubles....

This isn't just going to magically go away, people in Ottawa aren't all of a sudden just going to forget what's happened and go back to buying tickets...it will reach a breaking point soon imo.

Im not sure it's a direct shot at the owner but imo Gary has always spoken very carefully and things he adds or omits are very calculated.
As I said before, all he said last night is this storm shall pass. Anything else is irrelevant. Bettman said nothing to suggest the NHL will do anything other than ride it out.

Reactions: DaveG and 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The league will do nothing about Melnyk, unless he does something so controversial it damages the leagues brand (and players threaten to stop playing) like Donald Sterling.

NHL owners aren't going to set a low-bar for the removal of an owner due to incompetence. One, it damages them to prospective buyers, and two 24 other Owners (which would be required to vote to remove him) are not going to set the bar as low as general incompetence. Arguably the most influential owner in the league is Jeremy Jacobs, whose own fans hated him for being cheap (therefore wasting Bourque's prime) and held a parade for Bourque winning the cup. You think he's going to encourage other owners to vote out another member for being cheap?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The league will do nothing about Melnyk, unless he does something so controversial it damages the leagues brand (and players threaten to stop playing) like Donald Sterling.

NHL owners aren't going to set a low-bar for the removal of an owner due to incompetence. One, it damages them to prospective buyers, and two 24 other Owners (which would be required to vote to remove him) are not going to set the bar as low as general incompetence. Arguably the most influential owner in the league is Jeremy Jacobs, whose own fans hated him for being cheap (therefore wasting Bourque's prime) and held a parade for Bourque winning the cup. You think he's going to encourage other owners to vote out another member for being cheap?
No one is suggesting the league will kick him out.

They will put pressure on him to complete Lebreton or sell to someone who will.

They will also block any attempt by Melnyk to move the team, making a fan revolt powerful enough to force him out.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

They will also block any attempt by Melnyk to move the team, making a fan revolt powerful enough to force him out.
Then all Melnyk has to do is call their bluff. Also, if fans stop showing up en-masse killing the team's ability to make a profit, the league will allow him to relocate even if there is a valid reason for fans being pissed off. The league isn't going to trap an owner like that, unless they do something that is to the level of Donald Sterling. Outside an owner being insolvent, when if the last time a league actually forced out an owner. Jerry Richardson sold after being embarrassed and potentially encouraged to leave, but only Sterling has been forced out.

They can put as much pressure as they want on him. He can still call their bluff. They won't force him out. The league also won't set a precedent of an owner having to stay in a market if his attendance dips below an acceptable level.

Reactions: DaveG

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They can put as much pressure as they want on him. He can still call their bluff. They won't force him out. The league also won't set a precedent of an owner having to stay in a market if his attendance dips below an acceptable level.

Guess you haven't been paying attention to Arizona, Carolina or Florida then...

The fans can get the number down to a point where Melnyk losses money hand over fist. They can do so while holding viewing party protest to make it clear to the NHL that the team still has support, but the owner needs to go.

The NHL makes far more money from expansion than relocation fees. They aren't going to let Melnyk take one of their prime markets in a move. That leaves Melnyk with possibilities like Quebec City. Melnyk isn't going to move the team to an arena he doesn't own and lose the ability to show losses on the team while the arena makes a profit.

Even if the NHL permits Melnyk to move, they will then put a new franchise in the hands of the well connected group billionaire group that was the $ behind other bid for Lebreton. It is a good market that is about to get even better. The NHL is not going to pass up the $ to be made to bail Melnyk out of the money problems that he created that are killing the franchise.

He'll thrash around for a while longer and then sell.

Reactions: DaveG and bert

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Guess you haven't been paying attention to Arizona, Carolina or Florida then...

The fans can get the number down to a point where Melnyk losses money hand over fist. They can do so while holding viewing party protest to make it clear to the NHL that the team still has support, but the owner needs to go.

The NHL makes far more money from expansion than relocation fees. They aren't going to let Melnyk take one of their prime markets in a move. That leaves Melnyk with possibilities like Quebec City. Melnyk isn't going to move the team to an arena he doesn't own and lose the ability to show losses on the team while the arena makes a profit.

Even if the NHL permits Melnyk to move, they will then put a new franchise in the hands of the well connected group billionaire group that was the $ behind other bid for Lebreton. It is a good market that is about to get even better. The NHL is not going to pass up the $ to be made to bail Melnyk out of the money problems that he created that are killing the franchise.

He'll thrash around for a while longer and then sell.
They refused a sale to Arizona because they tried to move into an already taken territory.

Florida or Carolina's owners never even attempted to move the team. Those aren't apt comparisons.

Edit: I'd add, its debatable if owners make more off of expansion fees long-term than they would off a one time 200m relocation fee. As adding another team means that team is buying already into a league wide-revenue stream when it comes to national tv deals and such.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think you're misinterpreting it. I think he's saying it's sensationalism.

I'm not sure you understand Bettman's job, he works for the owners, he's not going to trash an owner and there have been many owners in his time worse than Melnyk

In his time? Eh Name them please. Id love to see this list.

Yeah he works for the owners correct, do you think that Melnyk is good for the league and the other owners?... Ask yourself that question. The sens were a top 5 to top 10 team in attendance before he started meddling now they are in the bottom 10. Constant asinine statements, idiotic comments to the media on a consistent basis. The NHL is a brand and he is terrible for it.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Legally they have no ground to do so.
Melnyks years as Sens owners are counted, that's a given, but those years are probably still greater than 2, 1 or zero.
Will Sens move from Ottawa region ? I would say it's 90% no 10% yes.

Melnyk owns the team and if he decides to sell to whatever group for $500M, I really don't see NHL stepping up and saying ''Yo can't do that, gotta sell to Lebreton flats guy for $200M''. That would simply negatively impact all franchise values immediately. Values NHL is currently pumping up by charging $500M for Vegas and $650M for Seattle expansions.

It sucks what's happening for you guys, but its not done yet.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They refused a sale to Arizona because they tried to move into an already taken territory.

Florida or Carolina's owners never even attempted to move the team. Those aren't apt comparisons.

Edit: I'd add, its debatable if owners make more off of expansion fees long-term than they would off a one time 200m relocation fee. As adding another team means that team is buying already into a league wide-revenue stream when it comes to national tv deals and such.

You literally just said it was because of an attendance precedent. He used examples of teams that have terrible attendance much worse. Ottawa has had one poor season out of the last 20.

When did Melnyk try and move the team exactly?! Always leaf fans telling us about our team around here its incredible. Please give us an example.

There is a LOCAL BUYER HERE IN OTTAWA! Why would they relocate when there is an owner here other than for some unknown reason a leaf fans personal shitty opinion. The other thing I truly dont understand is why Leaf fans want the Senators to move. Its close to Toronto, its a natural rivalry and you can come to games here for half the price as in Toronto. Are you that spiteful or what?

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Legally they have no ground to do so.
Melnyks years as Sens owners are counted, that's a given, but those years are probably still greater than 2, 1 or zero.
Will Sens move from Ottawa region ? I would say it's 90% no 10% yes.

Melnyk owns the team and if he decides to sell to whatever group for $500M, I really don't see NHL stepping up and saying ''Yo can't do that, gotta sell to Lebreton flats guy for $200M''. That would simply negatively impact all franchise values immediately. Values NHL is currently pumping up by charging $500M for Vegas and $650M for Seattle expansions.

It sucks what's happening for you guys, but its not done yet.
Why would the Lebreton group offer that much less than another bid?

I mean, I know it helps your theory, but it just isn't even remotely realistic.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You literally just said it was because of an attendance precedent. He used examples of teams that have terrible attendance much worse. Ottawa has had one poor season out of the last 20.

When did Melnyk try and move the team exactly?! Always leaf fans telling us about our team around here its incredible. Please give us an example.

There is a LOCAL BUYER HERE IN OTTAWA! Why would they relocate when there is an owner here other than for some unknown reason a leaf fans personal ****ty opinion. The other thing I truly dont understand is why Leaf fans want the Senators to move. Its close to Toronto, its a natural rivalry and you can come to games here for half the price as in Toronto. Are you that spiteful or what?
My point was the league won't stop him from trying to re-locate if attendance is pitiful due to fan protests. The owners tend to back there own, and they aren't going to strip someone of a team or force them into a sale unless they did something truly immoral.

What I said was, the league won't force a team to stay if they have terrible attendence. There is no proof of a team being forced to stay, outside of Arizona, which was blocked primarily because Basille was trying to circumvent league rules to move a team into an already taken territory (similar to what Al Davis did with the Raiders).

I don't want the Sens to move. But, the league historically, has been more willing to allow a relocation than force another owner to sell. Although, for cheap games I'll keep going to Buffalo. The chicken wings there and the fact its closer wins out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My point was the league won't stop him from trying to re-locate if attendance is pitiful due to fan protests. The owners tend to back there own, and they aren't going to strip someone of a team or force them into a sale unless they did something truly immoral.

What I said was, the league won't force a team to stay if they have terrible attendence. There is no proof of a team being forced to stay, outside of Arizona, which was blocked primarily because Basille was trying to circumvent league rules to move a team into an already taken territory (similar to what Al Davis did with the Rams).

I don't want the Sens to move. But, the league historically, has been more willing to allow a relocation than force another owner to sell. Although, for cheap games I'll keep going to Buffalo. The chicken wings there and the fact its closer wins out.

So you think this sudden drop in attendance is completely unrelated to how the franchise is being run? You seem like a pretty smart guy, go look at Ottawa's attendance over the last 20 years please just humor me. What sens fans want is for him to be forced to sell to an owner that is committed to the organization, city and building an arena downtown.

A relocation makes 0 sense when there is a strong buying group here that literally just bid on the Lebreton project downtown. Melnyk sells the team and attendance goes back up to the top 35 % of the league. If you are in Ottawa and have your ear to the ground you would understand that people are extremely educated here and will not put up with his behavior. Alienating the best players in franchise history and fans alike. The list of things he has done is seemingly endless if you really look into it.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Bettman is very careful in his public statements.

He didn't say Melnyk would survive, but that the franchise would. A not so subtle message to Melnyk to get his crap together or sell because the team isn't going anywhere.

If Eugene continues on his self-destructive path, the fans can empty the arena and force him out.

I think that you're mis-reading what he's saying here. I think what he's saying is that everything is being sensationalized and fans are "putting a headstone" on the franchise, but the "burial" won't be happening.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

He didn't say Melnyk would survive, but that the franchise would. A not so subtle message to Melnyk to get his crap together or sell because the team isn't going anywhere.

If Eugene continues on his self-destructive path, the fans can empty the arena and force him out.

Well talk about not having a clue

How the hell is he put on notice?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Would be fun if bettman actually forced him to sell but has that ever happened before

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So you think this sudden drop in attendance is completely unrelated to how the franchise is being run? You seem like a pretty smart guy, go look at Ottawa's attendance over the last 20 years please just humor me. What sens fans want is for him to be forced to sell to an owner that is committed to the organization, city and building an arena downtown.

A relocation makes 0 sense when there is a strong buying group here that literally just bid on the Lebreton project downtown. Melnyk sells the team and attendance goes back up to the top 35 % of the league. If you are in Ottawa and have your ear to the ground you would understand that people are extremely educated here and will not put up with his behavior. Alienating the best players in franchise history and fans alike. The list of things he has done is seemingly endless if you really look into it.
I know they have solid buyers in Ottawa.

It would just go against league history for them to force a sale, especially if the current owner wants to keep the team and pay the relocation fee (as long as they aren't moving into an established territory).

I don't expect the Sens to move, but I also don't see the NHL owners boxing in one of their own and forcing him to sell by blocking any chance of relocation.

The main threat screwing Melnyk to be honest is, there is no-where he can move while maintaining ownership of the arena (Videotron has no interest in not owning the team), while means he has to find a new market and build or get financing for arena. Which is something he is highly unlikely to have the capital to do. But, the NHL won't box Melnyk in like some in this thread believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad