Speculation: Melnyk and speculating about the sale of the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rumours of an “imminent” sale have been circulating for at least 3 years. All we know for sure is that there has been one offer, and that the team is not for sale. I fully expect EM to run the team into bankruptcy before selling.

I was hoping this would be the case but the cost cutting of the roster is going to keep him afloat no matter who shows up. I actually dont think attendance will be worse than last year, alot of people still actually believe he is going to spend. With TSN 1200 behind him he is still going to get 10 k a game. I really actually dont see a sale, or anything changing for quite some time. Even if Chabot is traded or leaves via offer sheet there seems to be a stable group of fans that will go no matter what.

In short I have lost all hope and accept what this is. Its a greedy spiteful, selfish man that is pissed off at the fan base for the Melnyk Out signs and he is going down swinging to the bitter end.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
this seems to have gone under the radar, but Melnyk does not appear to have cracked the Forbes list of billionaires. This to my knowledge is the first time he has failed to do so since owning the sens.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/david-t...t-in-forbes-billionaires-list-again-1.1223918

These lists are more fun than fact but it does show that the perception of his wealth is lessening whether it be by design or by circumstance

Reactions: Acidrain66

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Everyone quiting would indicate it’s a sinking ship with no future so the signs are there that he should sell.

I dont think he sells this year just because he’s got nothing else. Once he sells the team he’s just a cranky old man from the 905 with a nice car.

The negative attention he is getting is still attention. Without the Sens he’ll be a nobody and it’s hard to make the promises of Stanley Cups and playoffs and best run NHL franchise and then sell at the lowest point in team history. His ego is fragile we’ve all seen that, but he still thinks we are all wrong and he’s right. In selling he’ll have to admit he’s wrong and that’s a hard step to take - even with an entire city begging you to go away be he’s faced a ton of loses the last 15 years, this will be a hugely public sale that will be celebrated for him leaving. His ego can’t face the sports radio eulogy so he’ll hang on

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
this seems to have gone under the radar, but Melnyk does not appear to have cracked the Forbes list of billionaires. This to my knowledge is the first time he has failed to do so since owning the sens.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/david-t...t-in-forbes-billionaires-list-again-1.1223918

These lists are more fun than fact but it does show that the perception of his wealth is lessening whether it be by design or by circumstance

lol Guy Laliberte coming in on the list way above Melnyk (not present).

Do it. Sell. Do it.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

What? But @Tnuoc Alucard has assured me Melnyk is a billionaire just running a tight ship right now.

Reactions: Acidrain66

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I called it last year: "I'm worried things could get a lot uglier before they get better" , and I'll call it again this year. This is all a case of Melnyk vs. "the Vultures".

I think it's painfully obvious that Melnyk is looking to sell, but he's looking to get maximum value for the team. My suspicion is that Laliberte and the devcore peeps see Melnyk as weak, and believe they have an opportunity to scoop up an NHL on the cheap. They probably believe Melnyk can no longer afford to run the team and it's only a matter of time before Melnyk cries uncle and gives in to a less-than-full-value sale. If Melnyk can prove he can infact run the team without drowning, he has more power at the negotiating table to demand more for the team.

Speculation is that the $135m loaned to Melnyk in June 2018 was from the prospective buyers, with a right of first refusal. This basically means that if Melnyk sells, they get first dibs on the team. This was a play by the buyers to get their foot in the door, and give Melnyk just enough rope to hang himself with, but not enough to rescue him. Now Melnyk's goal is to prove that he can run the team without drowning so that he has the power to demand full value for the team. Hence the extreme cuts to everything and throwing everything overboard to stay afloat. Remember, the strongest asset is any negotiation is the ability to walk away. If Melnyk is pinned in a corner and has to sell, he can't ask for full value.

Lebreton was another failure that's pinned Melnyk further into a corner. Again, Melnyk needs to put a facade and say that it doesn't matter, and that the Sens can still play in Kanata (see: comments about staying in Kanada at the outdoor game).

Again, it's all a matter of when, not if he sells the team. This is all a big dick billionaire standoff. I don't know if this end this year.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
What? But @Tnuoc Alucard has assured me Melnyk is a billionaire just running a tight ship right now.

Times are tough. We simply can't go around wasting money on things like CEO, COO, CMO, POHO, or GM positions. None of those positions would do anything to improve fan relations, strengthen the brand, or bolster revenue.

It would be like wiping your ass with all of their salaries combined and flushing it down the toilet. We're clearly better off running with Pierre responsible for half of those roles, and Eugene responsible for the other half, and then giving the middle finger to anyone who dares to ask about it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Times are tough. We simply can't go around wasting money on things like CEO, COO, CMO, POHO, or GM positions. None of those positions would do anything to improve fan relations, strengthen the brand, or bolster revenue.

It would be like wiping your ass with all of their salaries combined and flushing it down the toilet. We're clearly better off running with Pierre responsible for half of those roles, and Eugene responsible for the other half, and then giving the middle finger to anyone who dares to ask about it.
I wonder if someone from the org will ever address the Deziel departure, or the Ruzkowski departure and how they plan on filling those vacant positions. Is there anyone left to address anything?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I wonder if someone from the org will ever address the Deziel departure, or the Ruzkowski departure and how they plan on filling those vacant positions. Is there anyone left to address anything?

If a bomb exploded in Moon, would you hear it? In other words,

Nobody gives a shit about Ruzkowski or Deziel - aka Melnyk puppets while they were under his payroll.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I mean typically everyone on the business side would report to the CEO, and one of the COO or CEO would handle the press (whoever is better at it). Considering we have neither of those things (Eugene doesn't count, he's not a real CEO) it's pretty unlikely.

Ruszkowski as COO and second in command would typically be addressing something like this, but now that he's gone there doesn't appear to be anyone who is in a position to deal with the press.

It's really, really bad. This team hardly even looks like a business at this point.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

There are 10 million dollar per year small businesses that have a larger C-suite than the Ottawa Senators.

We have a CEO who lives in the Barbados, a borderline criminal CFO and a bunch of junior sales reps cold calling to try and sell sponsorship and season ticket packages that nobody wants.

I mean, even our Alternate NHL Governor is not employed full-time by the team. He's Melnyk's personal lawyer. Every other team has at least 3 Alternate Governor's who are with the team full-time.

It's nuts.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
There are 10 million dollar per year small businesses that have a larger C-suite than the Ottawa Senators.

We have a CEO who lives in the Barbados, a borderline criminal CFO and a bunch of junior sales reps cold calling to try and sell sponsorship and season ticket packages that nobody wants.

I mean, even our Alternate NHL Governor is not employed full-time by the team. He's Melnyk's personal lawyer. Every other team has at least 3 Alternate Governor's who are with the team full-time.

It's nuts.

It's kind of incredible that Eugene can go on radio and say "we're doing everything we can" with a straight face knowing what his org structure looks like.

Actually, you're doing f*** all. I guess it's a pretty fine line between everything and nothing.

Reactions: Tuna99

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Rumours of an “imminent” sale have been circulating for at least 3 years. All we know for sure is that there has been one offer, and that the team is not for sale. I fully expect EM to run the team into bankruptcy before selling.

Don't think it will happen, revenue share, ten, tickets, rent, parking, also nhl has their own funds to lend to teams and basically if we value this franchise as an expansion around 650 million there's a lot of equity in the team cause I think his debts are in the 100 millions maybe 130 IIRC from news paper, and basically all the trash talk is centered around free floating cash and not net worth or equity nor has anyone stated his net worth that I have read.

It's quite possible Melnyk has hundreds of millions in not easily liquid assets and that he can remain owner for a long time.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to sell at all. It's not about money to him it's more about status IMO.

Edit: ten was suppose to be TSN.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's kind of incredible that Eugene can go on radio and say "we're doing everything we can" with a straight face knowing what his org structure looks like.

Actually, you're doing **** all. I guess it's a pretty fine line between everything and nothing.
Why pay more when someone else will work for minimum wage?

Why hire more people when you can just ask for more out of your existing ones or let the work fall by the way side?

It's like the mega corporation retail strategy in a pro sports team.

His actions and particularly the comment about does the coach "walk on water" when they wouldn't hire Boudreau, tells me he does not see a correlation in pay to performance, it's more a matter of just filling the position for the price they've set and everything is equal.

His overbearing philosophy is the cancer that will destroy them no matter how hard they try to "rebuild"

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Why pay more when someone else will work for minimum wage?

Why hire more people when you can just ask for more out of your existing ones or let the work fall by the way side?

It's like the mega corporation retail strategy in a pro sports team.

His actions and particularly the comment about does the coach "walk on water" when they wouldn't hire Boudreau, tells me he does not see a correlation in pay to performance, it's more a matter of just filling the position for the price they've set and everything is equal.

His overbearing philosophy is the cancer that will destroy them no matter how hard they try to "rebuild"

This is a big problem but the org has been in trouble for a while with how they treat customers. I'll say it again I use to be a STH and had my seats removed that I paid for 2 weeks prior through my season ticket rep for a play off game and was lied to by capital tickets/Sens whatever Melnyk owned both. I told the lady she needed to apologize to me and she refused. I told her to apologize to me or cancel my 1/2 season tickets(I had full season before this but they pissed me off). Well I no longer have any tickets xD.

She actually had no hesitation to terminate my season tickets xD.

So really IMO their money trouble is their own fault.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is a big problem but the org has been in trouble for a while with how they treat customers. I'll say it again I use to be a STH and had my seats removed that I paid for 2 weeks prior through my season ticket rep for a play off game and was lied to by capital tickets/Sens whatever Melnyk owned both. I told the lady she needed to apologize to me and she refused. I told her to apologize to me or cancel my 1/2 season tickets(I had full season before this but they pissed me off). Well I no longer have any tickets xD.

She actually had no hesitation to terminate my season tickets xD.

So really IMO their money trouble is their own fault.
I don't doubt it.

Just look at their pr through this entire process. They're allergic to seeing their own faults.

Not once have I heard either Dorion or Melnyk take responsibility or come anywhere close to an apology for their contribution in the collapse. They carry so much of the responsibility in what has happened, yet all we've heard is them passing the buck.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I don't doubt it.

Just look at their pr through this entire process. They're allergic to seeing their own faults.

Not once have I heard either Dorion or Melnyk take responsibility or come anywhere close to an apology for their contribution in the collapse. They carry so much of the responsibility in what has happened, yet all we've heard is them passing the buck.

Dude you don't even know, there was even someone posting on this board about sens tickets and marketing that worked for sens openly admitting it, I told them my story and they didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole, I got a concerned open community response but ignored privately.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ok...you guys are saying you'd but tickets if Melnyk sells

Here's an idea....create a very public season ticket campaign based on Melnyk selling. Very similar to what you see with expansion situations. Set something up, receive downpayment money, hold it in trust, make it very public

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ok...you guys are saying you'd but tickets if Melnyk sells

Here's an idea....create a very public season ticket campaign based on Melnyk selling. Very similar to what you see with expansion situations. Set something up, receive downpayment money, hold it in trust, make it very public

I would pledge to buy tickets based on Melnyk selling, but I will not be giving strangers money. What if Melnyk was the one setting up the trust? he would have one upped us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad