Speculation: Melnyk and speculating about the sale of the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Ok...you guys are saying you'd but tickets if Melnyk sells

Here's an idea....create a very public season ticket campaign based on Melnyk selling. Very similar to what you see with expansion situations. Set something up, receive downpayment money, hold it in trust, make it very public

That would mean doing more work and putting in more effort into selling tickets than what the actual team is doing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok...you guys are saying you'd but tickets if Melnyk sells

Here's an idea....create a very public season ticket campaign based on Melnyk selling. Very similar to what you see with expansion situations. Set something up, receive downpayment money, hold it in trust, make it very public

To what end? Are they trying to increase Melnyk's leverage in a sale here?

Or is the idea that this will somehow embarass Melnyk enough to sell because he otherwise wouldn't?

IDK if the premise is people don't want to support Melnyk you suggestion has the potential to line his pockets should he sell as it undermines a perspective buyers leverage, though it would make the purchase less risky.

If we thought there were no buyers out there or that they were being scared off by attendance, this makes sense but people aren't trying to drive up interest they are trying to drive out Melnyk.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Or is the idea that this will somehow embarass Melnyk enough to sell because he otherwise wouldn't?

IDK if the premise is people don't want to support Melnyk you suggestion has the potential to line his pockets should he sell as it undermines a perspective buyers leverage, though it would make the purchase less risky.

If we thought there were no buyers out there or that they were being scared off by attendance, this makes sense but people aren't trying to drive up interest they are trying to drive out Melnyk.

I also dont understand the point or premise of the idea.

People dont need to set up a fund for a potential buyer to know that fans will come back if Melnyk sells and new ownership is commited. Any seller will do their due dilligence in this regard before actually purchasing a team. Whoever finances it will make it a requirement.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I also dont understand the point or premise of the idea.

People dont need to set up a fund for a potential buyer to know that fans will come back if Melnyk sells and new ownership is commited. Any seller will do their due dilligence in this regard before actually purchasing a team. Whoever finances it will make it a requirement.

I think the only potential payoff would be to get through to Eugene and show him (and the NHL too I suppose) that he's basically cooked in this city.

This would also rely on Eugene giving af, and considering what he said on Toronto radio in March (he ignores 99% of negative fan feedback), it's a pretty big stretch to think it would sway him in any direction.

He literally doesn't care what fans think at this point.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think the only potential payoff would be to get through to Eugene and show him (and the NHL too I suppose) that he's basically cooked in this city.

This would also rely on Eugene giving af, and considering what he said on Toronto radio in March (he ignores 99% of negative fan feedback), it's a pretty big stretch to think it would sway him in any direction.

He literally doesn't care what fans think at this point.
I am pretty confident that he knows he is cooked.... Look at his actions. Or he is the least self aware person alive, Melnyk out signs were put up. He knows exactly where he stands and what he is doing right now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Too easy for a con artist to set something up and steal peoples' money in a scheme like that. And it also causes a bit of problem when the paid social media folks and PR people start tearing up social media and getting the print media to make a push to put that money into Melynk's Sens. Too many weird and flaky things out there around the team and city to throw money in any direction at this point.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I am pretty confident that he knows he is cooked.... Look at his actions. Or he is the least self aware person alive, Melnyk out signs were put up. He knows exactly where he stands and what he is doing right now.

Yea I agree 100%. He just doesn't give af. I was just saying that would be the only tangible 'payoff' for that exercise that I could think of.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

5000 people lined up to buy seasons gives Melnyk leverage for sure. But do you want him gone or starved to death? It would certainly signal to a potential buyer that there is some strength in the market

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
5000 people lined up to buy seasons gives Melnyk leverage for sure. But do you want him gone or starved to death? It would certainly signal to a potential buyer that there is some strength in the market
I'll take both for 1000 Alex

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Any buyer will do the research of how viable the market is, they dont need to see something like that. Like I said before whoever finances it will 100 percent have conditions and financial projections the buyer has to prove before securing the purchase.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Any buyer will do the research of how viable the market is, they dont need to see something like that. Like I said before whoever finances it will 100 percent have conditions and financial projections the buyer has to prove before securing the purchase.

Wouldn't a sale at say 600M that was financed really put us in a hole? The debt servicing costs would be substantial

Personally I don't believe extensive dd on the market will be as rosy as many here believe

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Wouldn't a sale at say 600M that was financed really put us in a hole? The debt servicing costs would be substantial

Personally I don't believe extensive dd on the market will be as rosy as many here believe
That would be like somebody buys the team on credit against the team...unheard of, except once in Ottawa :sarcasm:
Seriously, the discussion if Ottawa is a hockey market is getting old. Whatever Due Diligence is being done can only show you solid numbers from the business conducted by the former owners.
We all have seen that EM barely spent ever anywhere near the cap, so the approach is probably not the right one.
If there is after DD no interested party, relocation would probably better, but I don't see that happening...as we already heard that there have been offers.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

If the stated goal, of a group who post in these forums, is that they want EM to sell, and this scheme of putting down a deposit, held in trust, to purchase a season ticket in the event of a franchise sale, increases the value of the Franchise, and makes it more attractive to buyers, and motivates EM to pull the trigger on a sale ............ wouldn't that end up with the stated goal of the group in these forums?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If the stated goal, of a group who post in these forums, is that they want EM to sell, and this scheme of putting down a deposit, held in trust, to purchase a season ticket in the event of a franchise sale, increases the value of the Franchise, and makes it more attractive to buyers, and motivates EM to pull the trigger on a sale ............ wouldn't that end up with the stated goal of the group in these forums?

I doubt many are the season ticket holder types. Probably 20% or less

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
How would you feel about Amazon purchasing the Sens. Some would be thrilled... lots of money, Euge gone, etc. etc., however they do have a shady moral track record. Could you live with it?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
How would you feel about Amazon purchasing the Sens. Some would be thrilled... lots of money, Euge gone, etc. etc., however they do have a shady moral track record. Could you live with it?

giphy.gif

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Well that was certainly my thinking when I posted it

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

I think the owner of an ethical business like Whole Foods should buy the Sens.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Google Eugene Melnyk and look at the number of shady dealings he has been involved in. Start with Biovail.

At least the other shady has money to keep my team's best players. Or any NHL calibre veteran players for that matter.

To answer your question:
1xnabf.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
According to whose morals ?:popcorn:

The UN International Treatise on Morals and Morality (signed at the Bucharest Convention of 1995) is usually the baseline that most countries follow when measuring morality, but Russia has been vetoing a lot of the more recent cases that have been brought to the tribunal, so it's a bit out of date as there hasn't been a new case successfully presented since 2013.

Academically, if you consult both the ITMM and Cornell's EthiCoda published back in 2016, chances are you'll find the right answer lies somewhere between the two documents.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
This team has been running on fumes for a while. Anyone who runs a business knows that approach works while you restructure your finances but catches up to you in the long term. I see this catching up to EM already, you can see the business going downhill the way he is running it.

I fail to see how he jacking up price of the team other then low operating costs which are not even financial viable for a new owner to come in and operate under the same terms. The NHL BOG is only ones who can try and prop up the sale price of this team because Melynk has the franchise in starvation mode on many different levels. Any owner coming in will have to make major investment in this team outside of the sale price. However this is what all the other owners have to do as well with their teams and is price you pay to own a NHL team. Too put in simple terms this is neglected house on the block that the owner has let go and hopes for a big payday because it's in a exclusive neighbourhood.

I called this two years ago that EM has turned the Sens into a House of Cards and I seriously doubt he can afford to be a NHL owner much longer, at most he scrapes by for next two years tops. The countdown clock started a long time ago , just matter of time with him at the helm.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Show me ONE billionaire on the planet that hasn't been involved with something shady.

...and I loathe Amazon. But I'll likely loathe whatever beast eventually ends up owning the team when it comes to morals and morality.

But, I will financially support the next owner of the team...as long as the proper amount of funding is put into it, and they hire the best people they can get at a true NHL-level payscale (note, that doesn't necessarily mean an NHL all-star management roster...just actual competent NHL-level execs). And as long as Melynk is NOT part of the next ownership group.

Reactions: Yak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->