Speculation: #Melnkyout...The time is NOW!

Will you boycott the Sens over the next 6-8 weeks to put added pressure on Melnyk?

• Total voters

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Moving franchises was something that was done when their is no potential owner for the team. Usually these situations are when financial situation has become very dire. How many successful markets have had their teams relocated cause the owner does not get what he wants? Zero

I don't want to rehash every relocation that took place but they were all forced due to poor ownership with lack of funds to continue operating the teams or marketplaces that were mismanged and effected attendance again related to poor management and no potential buyers.

Ottawa is very good NHL marketplace with a bad owner, period. Bettman is in the mode of selling franchises not moving them like in the past. Threats of relocating are on that empty threats , they cause devide between the team and the community when used and is tatic employed when ownership is not getting it's way. If anyone drinks the relocation Kool-Aid you are playing into EM's hand.

Their is probably only one franchise that has any potential to be relocated and that is Arizona and that drama has been going on for 10 years and a few bad owners. Even then Gary is committed to making it work and if he won't let Arizona relocate, a hockey hotbed in Canada like Ottawa will never be up for discussion. The fact that we would even debate that as potential possiblity is very unreal cause we all know EM would never pay for the relocation fee and new arena in a new city and uncertain local and corporate support and no city will pony that kind of money for NHL team specially with EM as the owner.

Fact is Senators are not going anywhere but EM will be out as owner, is just matter of time and patience and you can take that to the bank.

It’s also dependent on the market showing that it can turn a profit for the owner.

Also, a local buyer only matters of the owner is looking sell. If he’s looking to move because the market can be shown to not turn a profit, the NHL won’t be able to stop it in the end, and why would they?

All kinds of measures will be tried, but you are deluding yourself if you’d think Ottawa is anything like Atlanta or Phoenix. The NHL doesn’t need a team in Ottawa to grow the game, fans in Ottawa already have deep loyalties to the Habs and Leafs, and the loyal Sens fans would eventually be snapped up by other teams. Several fans in here are already EK fans over the team.

No, fans should absolutely be worried because boycotting games is a dangerous game. Short term it’s cute, long term it’s deadly. If it can’t succeed in bleeding EM out (there are no indications that this is real option, I mean he is a billionaire, and just because he doesn’t want to use his own money to subsidize the team, doesn’t mean he can’t if push comes to shove), all that you’ve done is created a market that shows itself to not be able/willing to support an NHL team. Arguing that “we have in the past but have stoped because we don’t like the owner” is not going to work if the owner isn’t selling the team , it will just serve to add fuel to a relocation argument. As for fees, no need to worry, any city getting an NHL team that really wants it will cover those costs, let’s be honest.

This city should absolutely be worried. If there is no new arena downtown there is nothing holding the team in town beyond being a strong market, which it hasn’t shown itself to be for a few years now, no matter what the excuses.

The NHL won’t/can’t force a sale, and the owners as a collective won’t support a fanbase dictating ownership in any market.

Care is needed here

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I remember Daigle getting pilloried for that PR shot of him in a nurses outfit. But Karlsson seems to like dressing as a woman when he needs a costume and gets no such flak.

Phoenix, like Houston, is one of the top TV markets in the states. The BoG will go a long way to protect that, especially if it holds out the potential for Anschutz to build a new arena there.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The league has full power to prevent relocation via BoG vote. I thought is 3 quarters are needed for approval.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The league has full power to prevent relocation via BoG vote. I thought is 3 quarters are needed for approval.

The BoG is not on your side. Ottawa fans are not an important market. We have a team, and need to hold on to it.

It was a surprise that we even got a team to begin with, but that would never happen now. If Ottawa continues to drop off a cliff in terms of team support there is no reason for any owners anywhere to insist on the team staying, especially when there are huge open markets down south that can drive up team and league value.

Do you really think the NHL would take a noticeable hit if the Sens moved, especially in response to terrible attendance, regardless of what excuses fans shouted as the team left? The answer is no.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Meh, if the team is going to move because I won't let my wallet be held hostage by a loony grifter then so be it.

Exactly my point... The NHL isn't going to go bend over backwards to keep a team in Ottawa on behalf of this kind of sentiment.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Exactly how I feel. The absolute worst way to gain my loyalty is to take my fandom hostage.

Except no one has taken anything hostage. Someone just pointed out (again) that you need to go to games to keep the team viable, and people went nuts.

Government town wants everything for free... Shocked (yes, tongue in cheek)! :)

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Exactly my point... The NHL isn't going to go bend over backwards to keep a team in Ottawa on behalf of this kind of sentiment.

And that's cool. I've spent more than 15k on years of seasons tickets. If that's not good enough for the NHL, then I'm OK with that. I've done my part. Maybe the NHL just isn't for me.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Attack the message without refuting the message, caps make it so much more effective.

Your message has been refuted so many times and defies any logic or facts. The fact you are still spewing this trash is hilarious, and no one should waste their time arguing with you, as you seem to have a clear agenda that clouds your judgment and don't seem interested in facts or reality. Talking to you would be the equivalent of to talking to a wall.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

the nhl isn't going to uproot an entire organization that has proven very viable in this market just because of a crazy cheap owner.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
the nhl isn't going to uproot an entire organization that has proven very viable in this market just because of a crazy cheap owner.

where do you come up with this ****?
That is just as untrue as the statement that the league can’t prevent a relocation.

Reactions: coladin

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
what's untrue about it?
If Melnyk wants to move the team and there is no group willing to pay a price that is acceptable to Betteman, then perhaps Melnyk could relocate or sell to an owner in a different city.

People assume that there are groups willing to pay market Value (think 435M USD) and keep the team here. There has been no proof that is true.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
On the TSN 1200 pre-game show last night, Bob McKenzie basically said that Melnyk relocating the team was incredibly unlikely considering the amount of suitable buyers willing to purchase the team and keep it in Ottawa. The NHL doesn't relocate teams when that criteria is met.

I know this is common sense for anybody who even has a minuscule of understanding about how the NHL operates, but I think to hear it reiterated by Bob McKenzie and not a random HF poster is important for the sake of credibility.

I am not sure in which thread, but I'm sure I've seen some posters try to put fourth the "I don't know guys, maybe Melnyk's grocery store will be more successful down the street and he'll move because you didn't buy tickets!". So I figured I'd put this out there.

Jeffrey Simpson was on 1310 Ottawa Today and had some interesting commentary:

Ottawa Today with Mark Sutcliffe - 1310 NEWS
(11:34am)

Melnyk does not have the pockets nor the lenders to execute the deal and he's trying to squeeze ruddy.
Melnyk floated the idea of Trinity building the arena and him paying rent
At a meeting in August with Jim Watson, Ruddy and Melnyk were shouting at each other.
Melnyk has ZERO support from other NHL owners. They dislike him as much as ottawa fans and are aware that the problems here are a result of alienation and bad management. Further they see this as a bleed on their revenue stream
Melnyk may come out with the threat to move the team-something Simpson says "don't buy it, will never happen" and a total bluff.
Best option is for him to sell and have the new group negotiate with Ruddy.

The end is near for Eugene, one way or the other.

Could we pin these posts in any thread that might concern the possibility of relocation?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I knew there would be anger in response to my post, but I don’t think that it’s helpful for people to act a certain way with the utmost confidence that there will be no repercussions. I have more respect for the poster who stands by his position even if it means the team leaves over the couple of posters that don’t support the team thinking that there can be no negative consequences in the long term.

If EM isn’t going to sell, then local buyers etc aren’t really an issue.

No new arena downtown I think would be a massive block to new ownership considering that the land deal is the money maker, not the sports team.

Personally I agree that the team isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, if not downtown, my point is more along the lines that if this attendance and fan support situation continues to get worse there will eventually reach a point where the owner can start to make a case that the market can’t/isn’t going to support the team. The league can’t force EM to sell, and I don’t see them forcing him to stay if the market isn’t supporting the team anymore.

Having said that 15000 paid/papered attendance is high enough to avoid any of that. It’s embarassing but not deadly. Hopefully we never have to see what happens if it drops to Florida levels.

Reactions: Yak

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Gone are the days of threatening relocation if team owners don’t get their way regarding financial handouts or improved attendance. The public won’t be strong armed anymore by the same rhetoric. We know a sports team is a nice luxury but not at the expense of tax payer dollars. f*** what city of Edmonton did, im glad Calgary and ottawa stood up against that shit. Look at what’s happening with the Phoenix suns, the fans aren’t stupid.

I hate the thought of my favorite team moving but yeah this market has done enough to show its good enough. If the owner isn’t willing to help matters or adhere to what the public wants, then let him take the team elsewhere. We’ll survive

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
Except no one has taken anything hostage. Someone just pointed out (again) that you need to go to games to keep the team viable, and people went nuts.

Government town wants everything for free... Shocked (yes, tongue in cheek)! :)
You need try harder on your marketing skill..

Reactions: Danythegod

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It’s also dependent on the market showing that it can turn a profit for the owner.

Also, a local buyer only matters of the owner is looking sell. If he’s looking to move because the market can be shown to not turn a profit, the NHL won’t be able to stop it in the end, and why would they?

All kinds of measures will be tried, but you are deluding yourself if you’d think Ottawa is anything like Atlanta or Phoenix. The NHL doesn’t need a team in Ottawa to grow the game, fans in Ottawa already have deep loyalties to the Habs and Leafs, and the loyal Sens fans would eventually be snapped up by other teams. Several fans in here are already EK fans over the team.

No, fans should absolutely be worried because boycotting games is a dangerous game. Short term it’s cute, long term it’s deadly. If it can’t succeed in bleeding EM out (there are no indications that this is real option, I mean he is a billionaire, and just because he doesn’t want to use his own money to subsidize the team, doesn’t mean he can’t if push comes to shove), all that you’ve done is created a market that shows itself to not be able/willing to support an NHL team. Arguing that “we have in the past but have stoped because we don’t like the owner” is not going to work if the owner isn’t selling the team , it will just serve to add fuel to a relocation argument. As for fees, no need to worry, any city getting an NHL team that really wants it will cover those costs, let’s be honest.

This city should absolutely be worried. If there is no new arena downtown there is nothing holding the team in town beyond being a strong market, which it hasn’t shown itself to be for a few years now, no matter what the excuses.

The NHL won’t/can’t force a sale, and the owners as a collective won’t support a fanbase dictating ownership in any market.

Care is needed here
Wrong. Take your fear tactics out the door with you please.

Reactions: God Says No

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
This board is for discussion and to hear ALL perspectives. What's wrong with Ice-Tray saying .. be careful Ottawa fans? What's wrong with him heeding some warning? I swear the posters on this board are either teenagers or intellectually stunted.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Wrong. Take your fear tactics out the door with you please.

How are those fear tactics? He is saying if the sens cant support themselves many different things could happen.
Sounds way more honest than saying, if you prove your city won't support an NHL team you will benifit 100% and only good things will happen.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Rewatched Melnyks interview from a year ago. He said no relocation unless "it is a disaster" or "of people don't show up".

So yes and yes then. He was pretty emphatic that he was done blowing money and will not sell it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Where the hell is EM going to relocate the team too exactly???Will it have a new huge downtown arena ???Will it have the very decent TV deal that EM now has???Or will it be able to support a team as well as we have for more than 2 decades?

Moving the team lol..... The guy cant run the team properly in a good market

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad