Speculation: Mega-Thread: Jack Eichel, Part II

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Hypothetically, if the Kings win the lottery and pick first, what might a deal look like between LA and Buffalo?
Hypothetically:
1OA
Turcotte or Vilardi
Kempe or Iafallo
Clague or Bjornfot

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Hypothetically:
1OA
Turcotte or Vilardi
Kempe or Iafallo
Clague or Bjornfot

Lafreniere + Turcotte + Clague + Iafallo is a huge package, but I’d consider it. In terms of value at least, I think it’s fair. Having Kopitar and Eichel as a one-two punch for the next few years would be ridiculous.

The only issue is that the rest of the Kings’ prospects aren’t really ready. Trading away one of Iafallo or Kempe as well means yet another top six winger that the Kings no longer have available. The Kings have some young guys that will be ready in the next couple of years - guys like Kaliyev, Madden, Kupari, etc - but is Eichel going to want to come to an LA team that isn’t a contender next year? I doubt it!

Then again, any team with Kopitar, Eichel, and Doughty is probably going to be a contender. Especially if a healthy Jeff Carter and a motivated Jonathan Quick show up.

Post-trade, assuming no free agent moves, Kings probably look like this next year:

Kempe - Eichel - Vilardi
Frk - Kopitar - Brown
Wagner - Anderson-Dolan - Carter
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Moore

Bjornfot - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
MacDermid - Walker

Quick
Petersen

But if even one of Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Madden, or Thomas can also come in and make an impact (and assuming Lizotte and Anderson-Dolan can handle bottom six center duties adequately), that team could make the playoffs.

Reactions: truthbluth

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Buffalo wont do it because Hughes isnt proven enough. As a Devils fan I'm not doing this trade because Hughes might not be as good of a goal scorer as Eichel is one day but I'm pretty sure he has the potential to be the better point producer. Whether he does that as a center or winger remains to be seen. On top of that I'm not giving up Smith who has top 4 potential and a 1st round pick that we wre better off keeping. Eichel is a much better player now but I would rather bank on Hughes being in the same tier as him in a few seasons.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
hughes. ty smith, and a first.
for
eichel.. way off?
Seems fair depending on the first. Top five first, okay. Outside top five, I’d say (considering the entire package is futures) Buffalo says no.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
IF you think Hughes will be 80 point player, IF Devils are giving up pick 6 overall, and IF you are spending Eichel's cap on Hall, I can see where this can fit for Sabers. Not a lock do it for Sabers but better than 80% of the offers you will see on here.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Id never do this from Jersey’s end

Hughes was a top player in zone entries and quality chances created in high-danger areas at 18 weighing a whopping 165

Hes going to be a point scoring monster in a few years

Not saying he will be better than Eichel but Im not adding a 7th overall and Ty Smith to that.

We keep Hughes. Kid is marketable, has insane potential, and the Devils dont make it much further with Eichel anyway cause the rest of the roster stinks right now

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Buffalo wont do it because Hughes isnt proven enough. As a Devils fan I'm not doing this trade because Hughes might not be as good of a goal scorer as Eichel is one day but I'm pretty sure he has the potential to be the better point producer. Whether he does that as a center or winger remains to be seen. On top of that I'm not giving up Smith who has top 4 potential and a 1st round pick that we wre better off keeping. Eichel is a much better player now but I would rather bank on Hughes being in the same tier as him in a few seasons.
Eichel is on a 100 point center level and Hughes hasn’t proven to be anywhere near that level. It’s unsure that if EVERYTHING works out for Hughes that he has the potential to reach where Eichel is today

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Who is the Sabres #1 C after this trade? Whoever they draft in the top 3 next season? This trade kills their team even worse. Eichel is one of the good pieces there.

In fairness, it's going to be really difficult to trade Eichel and the team be better. Odds are, if they trade him, it's going to involve a certain amount of pure upside plays in return, and not going to involve a one for one with a comparable player

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Way off....

Buffalo isn’t trading Eichel
What if this offer is on the draft floor and when the Jersey first (coming pick) is up, Byfield is still on the board?
Hughes
Byfield
Smith
For
Eichel

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Who is the Sabres #1 C after this trade? Whoever they draft in the top 3 next season? This trade kills their team even worse. Eichel is one of the good pieces there.

That's easy, when ROR was traded, Casey Mittelstadt was expected to immediately jump in his D+2 year and take over his role.

Since that worked out so well, Dylan Cozens will magically replace Eichel in his D+2 year also.

Kim Pegula is big-brain running the Sabres. The Sabres are all about efficiency now.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Eichel is on a 100 point center level and Hughes hasn’t proven to be anywhere near that level. It’s unsure that if EVERYTHING works out for Hughes that he has the potential to reach where Eichel is today
This is all true but let's remember kucherov wasn't even good enough to play in the NHL at Hughes age and he ended up scoring 128 points, while Hughes hasn't proven anything he has a lot of time to show his stuff.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He was a 1st overall pick who beat records elite nhl players posted in the USNDP. I'm pretty sure 100 point seasons aren't out of the realm of possibility for Hughes. It also took 5 seasons for Eichel to get to this 100 point pace. So don't write Hughes off after 1 disappointing season. Hughes probably tops out at 30 goals but he is more of a playmaker so his goal to assist ratio will probably be 30/70.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He was a 1st overall pick who beat records elite nhl players posted in the USNDP. I'm pretty sure 100 point seasons aren't out of the realm of possibility for Hughes. It also took 5 seasons for Eichel to get to this 100 point pace. So don't write Hughes off after 1 disappointing season. Hughes probably tops out at 30 goals but he is more of a playmaker so his goal to assist ratio will probably be 30/70.

These proposals are all garbage for Buffalo.

If Eichel is on the trading block, a LOT more proven assets are going back.

Easily Matthews +

Heck, up until last season I would've considered Draisaitl.

Montreal hasn't had a #1C since Damphousse. They'd offer the moon. Detroit would start with Larkin ++.

Malkin? Stamkos?
l

Eichel is a superstar already and you're gonna see every team looking to offer something substantial.

He's getting more than magic beans back.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad