Speculation: Mega-Thread: Jack Eichel, Part II

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Just saw the Eichel for Kuznetsov and Orlov. My guess is that Buffalo being forced to trade Eichel would want start over pieces. That said, Orlov was disrespected in ways I understand but would like to set the record straight. Orlov is an elite, minutes leading, shutdown pair, pp qb defenseman. He is a dynamic player. Its easily missed by fans outside of Washington that his role doesn't allow for much of that to be shown.

Were Orlov playing on a team that could use a left shot defenseman at the top of their pp1, Orlov would be an all star. As it happens he plays for the Capitals who cant use a left shot player in that spot. He has been on the shutdown pair in recent years where its always defense first. When he was not his evp/60 was near the top of the league. Because of Ovechkin Orlov just doesn't get to show what he can do very often. But a couple of quick video examples.

You have a different definition of elite than most people. Doesn't mean he's not good, but elite is something different.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You have a different definition of elite than most people. Doesn't mean he's not good, but elite is something different.

Maybe. I consider any legit 1d elite. On a team other than Washington he could fill the 1D on any team without one already and be successful

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Maybe. I consider any legit 1d elite. On a team other than Washington he could fill the 1D on any team without one already and be successful

You consider Orlov elite because he plays for your favourite team...my god what a brutal take though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You consider Orlov elite because he plays for your favourite team...my god what a brutal take though.

Where the f*** did I say that? What I am saying is that he his misused in Washington and were he traded to a team that could use the full range of his skills that he would be a quality top pair defenseman. But yea, lets see how much support you get for your take

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Where the f*** did I say that? What I am saying is that he his misused in Washington and were he traded to a team that could use the full range of his skills that he would be a quality top pair defenseman. But yea, lets see how much support you get for your take

You said above that you consider any 1D elite and that Orlov would be a 1D on some teams, therefore you’re saying you consider Orlov to be elite and he’s far from elite let me tell you. Take the goggles off.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You said above that you consider any 1D elite and that Orlov would be a 1D on some teams, therefore you’re saying you consider Orlov to be elite and he’s far from elite let me tell you. Take the goggles off.

You know best bud. I have watched almost every game he has played but you know better. I bow at your feet

Reactions: Luckylarry

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is so far from reality that it's making my brain hurt.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I support his take.

Reactions: thefors

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
You know best bud. I have watched almost every game he has played but you know better. I bow at your feet

I’m not saying I know better you dustball, I actually quite like his game. He can score a highlight reel goal or two, has a nice clapper, he can skate and he’s a decent defender, but he’s not close to elite or a 1D, he’s a solid second pairing defenseman, maybe a #3 on a good team. That’s like me saying Muzzin is elite when really he’s a solid #3.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Eichel only gets traded if he requests a trade.

IF he does/did request a trade it will be to at least to another playoff team and like in the western conference.

I don't know how many teams would have the pieces without altering their team by a huge amount. I think it would involve multiple roster players and prospects/picks.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Just saw the Eichel for Kuznetsov and Orlov. My guess is that Buffalo being forced to trade Eichel would want start over pieces. That said, Orlov was disrespected in ways I understand but would like to set the record straight. Orlov is an elite, minutes leading, shutdown pair, pp qb defenseman. He is a dynamic player. Its easily missed by fans outside of Washington that his role doesn't allow for much of that to be shown.

Were Orlov playing on a team that could use a left shot defenseman at the top of their pp1, Orlov would be an all star. As it happens he plays for the Capitals who cant use a left shot player in that spot. He has been on the shutdown pair in recent years where its always defense first. When he was not his evp/60 was near the top of the league. Because of Ovechkin Orlov just doesn't get to show what he can do very often. But a couple of quick video examples.

Yeah Orlov is awesome and I can't believe he is so underrated. Buffalo would be way better team with Dahlin-Orlov as 1st dman pair and Kuznetsov centering Skinner.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah I get that but I don't know if they could take on an extra 6 mil in salary. Maybe with Gostisbehere going the other way as well?
Would the Sabres want a soft guy like Ghost? They trade Eichel and clearly they’re rebuilding. They might prefer a tougher to play against young D man.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Not advocating it but wondering what a Barzal - Eichel trade could look like. Think it could be similar to the Lafontaine - Turgeon trade.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

you don't really think the Sabres would take an offer like that though do you?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Hypothetically, if the Kings win the lottery and pick first, what might a deal look like between LA and Buffalo?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ill start.

Why a mega thread and why all these incessant Eichel trade offers? Did I miss something? As far as I can tell he's not for trade, and is probably a top 5 overall asset in terms of value. Why exactly is Buffalo trading him?
Aren't they in financial crunch? The natural gas business has gone bottom up

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Aren't they in financial crunch? The natural gas business has gone bottom up
They sold most of their gas holding in 2011 for about 4 billion dollars. While they do still have holdings, they don’t carry a lot of debt, so no, they aren’t in a financial “crunch”. But they have spent wildly both on the Sabres and on a variety of Buffalo based businesses, and they realize now that they won’t be able to afford losing $40 million/year forever. I’m not a Pegula fan, but my opinion is their wild overspending on everything around the Sabres has fostered a culture of exemption with no accountability. Their house sweeping is more about wanting to instill a sense of responsibility at every level of the organization, and secondarily about trying to stop hemorrhaging cash.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad