Medvescak Zagreb 2013/2014 season talk Part II

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
Live games are mainly on sport channel Sport Klub. Sometimes on national TV.
This years coverage was great with many away games on Sport Klub.

I agree. We could have watched almost every single away game. Its also good because every tv operator has Sportklub in their channel lineup, unlike some other sport channels which are linked only to certain operator.

croAVSfan*

Well.. the fact is that Medvescak is pretty good KHL team. If this continues for example next 10 seasons, will there be more hype?

I can bet that i saw Medvescak game live on Croatian national channel, but i dont see nothing now, do you know more about that?

National channel and Sportklub (pay and view) have split broadcast of Medvescak games.

And about hype...there is no hype...Medvescak is most attended club in Zagreb and that is normal thing now...no reason for hype (unless we gets to conference finals, but I think that Kazahstan have bigger chances to win gold at upcoming WC than we to reach WCF).

roki977

Sep 6, 2013
Zagreb
Of course that most of people "doesnt care" because "most of the people" doesnt live in Zagreb, but whole over the Croatia and afaik Medvescak is club from Zagreb.

And about football hype ?:laugh::laugh: That hype is myth. Sure, hype is there when NT plays at big stage (WC, EC), but otherwise it is just myth. Just because there is football news on front of sports newpapers doesn't mean it is well attended or that people care about it. Our useless league have avarage att about 2000 ( I wrote it too many probably) fans per round.

Just for example...in 70-s, when Medvescak played derby against Jesenice, front page of "Sportske novosti" had information about it, today Medvescak beats Kazan,Magnitogorsk and you need to find it on latest page. But no suprise there because staff editors of "SN" are people who couldn't find Zagreb on the map 20 years ago...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am from Zagreb and I now from people from work, gym, friends etc.. Almost nobody now things like what day are they playing or against who. One out of 20 maybe knows and I am taking about younger and middle aged people. 50% at least know those kind of things about national team in football. League football is almost dead in Zagreb but football in general is still way ahead of hockey and Meds. Champion league games on national TV , Mandzu, Real etc..

Fan base is strong as I wrote it before bit popularity in general is not so much and there is no real comparison with football.

croAVSfan*

Games are on HRT and Sportklub.

Football apart from the national team has no hype so i'd say that hockey is doing well. As spectator sport its number 1 in Zagreb. Football is probably 4th behind basketball and handball (at least champions league) because of the situation with Dinamo.

I'd say that hockey is doing very well and it established itself very well with a strong and loyal fanbase from continental Croatia. Unlike other sports it has stable fan base.

@ hydralisk

SN are dead paper. No need to mention it. They have no real stories anymore and their daily sales are at the all time low. They will probably shut down soon considering the mess in which their owner EPH is.

@Toffu - this bolded is probably closest to the truth ;)

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
Bah.. There is fan base on the coast too.

There is, but not so much as in the continental Croatia.

And about hype...there is no hype...Medvescak is most attended club in Zagreb and that is normal thing now..

True. The hype period was some 3, 4 years ago in EBEL. Now people are already used to MedveÅ¡čak being here to stay and doing well.

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
I am from Zagreb and I now from people from work, gym, friends etc.. Almost nobody now things like what day are they playing or against who. One out of 20 maybe knows and I am taking about younger and middle aged people. 50% at least know those kind of things about national team in football. League football is almost dead in Zagreb but football in general is still way ahead of hockey and Meds. Champion league games on national TV etc..

Depends on the type of your coworkers and friends. Most of the people i meet on the daily basis are casual sports fans who follow all our big clubs (Dinamo, Cibona ...) and national teams and most of them are familiar with Medveščaks current games.

roki977

Sep 6, 2013
Zagreb
Good example is people in cafe watching games on big TV. There are much more viewers watching Champ. league, even handball than hockey.

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
Nothing compares to champions league football and it never will. That however doesn't mean that other sports can't coexist and do fine as well.

Handball gets good ratings but only during the big competitions for the national teams. Once a year weekly event. Club handball struggles.

roki977

Sep 6, 2013
Zagreb
Nothing compares to champions league football and it never will. That however doesn't mean that other sports can't coexist and do fine as well.

Handball gets good ratings but only during the big competitions for the national teams. Once a year weekly event. Club handball struggles.

Nobody sad they cant coexist. That would be to stupid. Zagreb handball team and their big games are very popular, I was even surprised how many people are watching it last year on TV and in Arena.

Toffu

Jan 31, 2014
Thanks for answer guys. :yo:

If i ever visit Zagreb again, i would like to watch Medevescak game live. :handclap:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
It was. to bad. but it doesnt matter We did awesome for the first season and im proud of the guys. We'll get better and stronger next year . Atleast we will have a real farm team next year and a core of players that will stay to build the team on. We know who we can count on, who we didnt think would be such assets (Martinovic for example or Carle or Svarny even).
To bad Iggulden didnt play more in the physical line, Glumac looked really good with him in the line.
Anyhow i cant wait for next season. i have a good feeling about it :)

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
lol that sounds about right, but that is 15 less than last year, besides they dont have 3 months to find players but 6 months. Medvescak got a very good reputation this year aswell.
And also can do some major improvements in the club and look for sponsors.
So keeping that in mind i predict a better season than this year and better players.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Not really its mostly opinion of the journalist, and even he said it will be that 5-6 players might leave. The goalie thing is more his opinion what Medvescak should do, not that they will ditch them. It is mostly said (in vecernji list the paper edition) that Brust will be probably sold and Dekanich kept. Mind you Weslund will be gone probably so that might be 2 new goalies. Thats hardly a new team. Mind you team will be changed as better players are signed to substitute the bad ones aswell. Defence comes to mind and lack of a real center. In Vecernji list they also said that Fox has talked to Drazenovic and he will mostlikely be comeing to Medvescak since he wasnt signed by any NHL clubs.

Last edited:

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Maybe tomorrow at noon there will be more confirmed info, Gojanovic is on gol.hr giving interview... I know 24sata is not to be taken seriously but they might be right about cheechoo, vesce, murley & linglet....especially for cheech...maybe that's why there is no info about his injury? MR of his knee could not be done in 2 days?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
oh im sure Cheechoo, Vesce, Linglet, Murley and even Elison (best player in PO although he missed so many chances) will be sought after, but the question is will those players get such a better offer that they would want to leave or stay for one more year. They REALLY like it here. I think a couple of them will stay if KHL doesnt rais the foreign limit ( i hope). Well see.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I am not sure about what salary Medvescak pays but the top players will eventually end up in the top KHL teams and in high paid jobs in Swiss NLA, German DEL etc

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
question is what is eventually and if the players want to leave. Some might wanna stay to be eligible for the NT.
Quite an interesting interview on gol.hr. They want to, starting this year, reform their hockey school into a high quality one and regional one, so they could have talent coming in from their school into Medvescak senior team. Also they are adding a new permanent smaller ice surfice for the kids next to where the big ice is, because there are to many kids going in. Supposedly that should cover the lack of ice surfaces for the club.
But with the building of one more ice arena in Zagreb (planned in 2 years) that might cover the ice time needed for all clubs and their schools.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
I am not sure about what salary Medvescak pays but the top players will eventually end up in the top KHL teams and in high paid jobs in Swiss NLA, German DEL etc

The budget for the next season remains 10 Million euro and biggest salary per player will be around 200k...Gojanovic said that for Vecernji list newspapers yesterday...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad